Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 04:27 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
i'm curious why, if this is such a non-story to you, that you keep coming back again and again to post in this thread. why not just scroll along and let it go? i mean, if this is such a boring story to you...

and i am not seeing where you are seeing that "so many people here" want this child physically abused or tortured or beaten or otherwise abused. i don't think anyone is actually advocating for torturing this kid. i think you are being dramatic. let it go highflying. let it go.

again, i would bet that this man who sold the story did not get that much money. i'm also curious why you keep bringing that up. he can't have made a lot of money on this. enough to have a good meal out on the town? and so what if he made money. so what?
I have every right to post on this thread and me doing so doesn't make me obsessed. Just interested. While I never have had this issue, I do have disabled children and it does hit close to home when people talk about abusing disabled children or children who are having a hard time.

If you scroll back you will see people discussing using a ball gag, tying up the child, beating him, etc. Please go back in messages and you will see many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 04:53 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I have every right to post on this thread and me doing so doesn't make me obsessed. Just interested. While I never have had this issue, I do have disabled children and it does hit close to home when people talk about abusing disabled children or children who are having a hard time.

If you scroll back you will see people discussing using a ball gag, tying up the child, beating him, etc. Please go back in messages and you will see many.
why are you putting words in my mouth? i didn't say that you were obsessed. i also didn't tell you that you can't post in this thread. and maybe you don't really get it, but i would bet that the posts about hurting this child in any way are meant as jokes.

fyi; my son has intellectual delays/FAS. i know what inappropriate behavior is. i am around it nearly every single day.

it has not been made known for fact that this boy on this flight is in any way "disabled". it is all pure speculation from watching a small segment of a long flight on video. clearly he is having a hard time, but why is known only to him and possibly his mother.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:09 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Ok maybe or maybe not.

But maybe or maybe not the kid only screamed from time to time

Maybe the parents were really working hard to sort it out

Maybe the person recording was a huge dut.

Perhaps there is no story besides a greedy and selfish man selling a few minutes of video?

The maybes are too much

But so many people here want this child physically abused...or tortured...beaten...otherwise abused.

So maybe maybe maybe

But some of the posters are sick people...and some are just grumpy and special snow flakes.

I cant imagine seeing a person struggling greatly in public without having a heart for them. At the least minding my own business...and worst asking if I can help. Anyone else is a jerk.
I can see why you would take offense at people suggesting (as a joke) that the child be physically stopped from making the noise. But your repeatedly harping on it here is gonna do as much good as their admonishment of you for repeatedly posting about it.

But why keep suggesting that the guy made all this up out of greed? There is no way to know And I have no idea what a "dut" is.

From what I have read, it wasn't "the parents." It was only the mom. It was obviously far from ideal for everyone involved. But even a person with a huge heart can only do so much in a situation like this.

This thread has obviously run its course. Unless you just wanna speculate for a few more pages.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:56 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,804 times
Yea and they usually fall asleep right before landing.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:46 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Just a few thoughts on this incident without responding to specific previous posts.

It seems to me that the child probably does have an intellectual disability of some type. He was not having a "tantrum". It was screaming/screeching. Such screeching is highly irritating to the majority of adults, who respond to it in the same way that they would the scraping of fingernails on a blackboard. I have two sons. They never screamed or screeched like that, indoors or out. If one of my boys had ever screamed I would have assumed he was injured. In my personal opinion, that behavior should be extinguished when it first begins, even on the playground. Behavioral modification can work with autism.

Got autism? Got screaming and verbal stimming? You can teach your child peace and quiet. – Autism: Chaos to Calm

The mother's response to the screeching suggests that it is not a one off, unexpected event. For example, she mentions the iPad. That means that the boy's behavior was predictable. It seems pretty clear that mom had no way to deal with it. If this flight was for a vacation it should not have been undertaken until she had an effective plan in place to manage her child's behavior. That should have included a consultation with her child's doctor. The dangers of trying to sedate young children have already been discussed but it is possible that something safe could be done.

I have been unable to determine what time of day the flight covered. If it was not during the child's usual sleeping hours it should have been.

I would agree with those who have suggested the child should possibly have been denied boarding as the behavior was apparent before the doors closed. That is a judgement I personally would not like to have to make. If I did, I would probably try to use as the reason that I could not be sure that the screaming was not due to an illness. If boarding had been denied, I suspect we would be hearing from the family about discrimination against someone with a disability, though.
The mother's random, ineffectual comments were strong indications that this behavior is not uncommon.

Even if this was due to a disability, why should this be allowed on a flight? The screeching was beyond annoying, but the climbing all over the place put himself and other passengers in danger. Had the plane encountered turbulence, he'd have been a projectile.

As this flight was over the ocean, it was impossible to land along the way to let them off.

Other than getting him off before takeoff, what were the alternatives?

Put him and in his mother in the last row of seats and insist she keep him buckled in?

Old 02-28-2018, 12:28 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
I never forget there's a video of a kid trashing a dollar store. There's someone filming him. The kid turns and raises his hand toward the cameraman who responds "Do you want to die?" The kid backs down. Not safe for work but just search for "Jit goes Ham"

Sorry, I will mind my business and let the kid scream his head off the whole flight but if he touches me, he will get the fool slapped out of him.
That's nuts! I can't believe all the adults/store employees didn't stop him.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:57 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,914 times
Quote:

But some of the posters are sick people...and some are just grumpy and special snow flakes.
The snowflakes are the people who feel that their little darling is so special that everyone should be okay with listening to the kid's constant screeching for 8 hours straight. The mom only made vague, ineffectual attempts to quiet the child. She didn't seem concerned at all at the disruption her kid was making.

And yes, I believe it was constant, or at least occupied much of that 8 hours.

If it was carefully edited to create the illusion of 8 hours but was only 15 minutes of screeching within that 8 hours, surely, surely someone else on that plane or the airline staff would have come forward by now, revealing that the video was deceptively edited.

Instead, the airline has only clarified that the kid had some sort of disability. Which only seems to reinforce that the kid was behaving in the way that the video suggests. Otherwise, the airline would have complained about the video being incorrect. They didn't.

Quote:
I cant imagine seeing a person struggling greatly in public without having a heart for them. At the least minding my own business...and worst asking if I can help. Anyone else is a jerk.
If she had made obvious, visible and repeated attempts to quiet the child but was unsuccessful, I suspect that most people would have more sympathy. It was that she didn't do anything.

Come on, she let her child climb on the seats. She wasn't even trying.

She's the one who is acting like a snowflake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting