Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,333 times

Advertisements

I have a 15 year old and she does well in school and is very smart/intelligent and is overall happy, but one thing that bothers me is her lack of girlfriends. She does have one that she spends time with, but she also has more guy friends that she does stuff with as well. When I have talked with her she just says she likes hanging out with guys more. Would that concern you? I have met the boys and they do seem nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 03:49 PM

830 posts, read 744,786 times
I wouldn't think so. I was that way, we just had more in common I guess.

I still had/have female friends, but outside of a few besties, I've always just connected with men very quickly.

The only thing I'd warn her about, is boys who are pretending to be her friend. She needs to be sure of their motives, and make her feelings known too.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:25 PM

426 posts, read 363,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennetha View Post
I have a 15 year old and she does well in school and is very smart/intelligent and is overall happy, but one thing that bothers me is her lack of girlfriends. She does have one that she spends time with, but she also has more guy friends that she does stuff with as well. When I have talked with her she just says she likes hanging out with guys more. Would that concern you? I have met the boys and they do seem nice.

What sorts of things do they do when they socialize together?

If they do something that's common in boys that's uncommon in girls, that could be one explanation.

Girls also tend to be high maintenance. A lot of high maintenance people together creates constant confrontations, which quickly grow exhausting.

A lot of boys are "whatever" people. A high maintenance person can get "whatever" people to do what she wants all the time and the boys go along with it because the girl might be pretty.

Or the girl could be easy and those are the boys she finds most attractive.

You need to be more specific in your situation if you want us to help more.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:10 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,324 times
She probably just has more in common with boys than girls. I always had more male friends and it was because I mostly just didn't get girls. It's normal to gravitate towards people you have more in common with and are just easier to be around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post

A lot of boys are "whatever" people. A high maintenance person can get "whatever" people to do what she wants all the time and the boys go along with it because the girl might be pretty.

Or the girl could be easy and those are the boys she finds most attractive.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennetha View Post
No. Don't be concerned since you know these kids and she is open and honest. I think that it is a beneficial thing when kids mix up their friendships. My daughter had just as many guy friends as girl friends when she was in H.S.

Can you put your finger on why this worries you?

Old 12-20-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
She probably just has more in common with boys than girls. I always had more male friends and it was because I mostly just didn't get girls. It's normal to gravitate towards people you have more in common with and are just easier to be around.

What's confusing about those other 2 explanations?

That's totally true.

Why do you think controlling managers tend to hire the dumbest people in the applicant pool for? Same idea as what I said in the other post.

Also, why didn't you "get" girls?

Old 12-20-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
No. Don't be concerned since you know these kids and she is open and honest. I think that it is a beneficial thing when kids mix up their friendships. My daughter had just as many guy friends as girl friends when she was in H.S.

Can you put your finger on why this worries you?

The first poster didn't say she has an equal mix.

It sounds like the guy to girl ratio is 9 to 1 or something.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:59 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
No, it's not concerning. There absolutely nothing wrong with women/girls having lots of male friends and vice versa - men/boys whose only friends are females.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:14 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
As long as they're good boys with similar values as your family, and you like them, then I don't see anything wrong with it. Girls can be catty and clickish.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
As long as they're good boys with similar values as your family, and you like them, then I don't see anything wrong with it. Girls can be catty and clickish.

Aren't the boys being clickish in this example too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting