Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:55 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,392 times

Advertisements

I will probably get hammered for this, but I will probably discourage my kid from any military aspirations. I don't want him dead or a "wounded warrier" before age 30 or dealing with PTSD, since I don't buy the "protecting our freedoms" bit and this country doesn't take care of its returning vets in any sort of meaningful fashion.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:57 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,100,245 times
lobbyist
Corporate lawyer
Hedge fund manager
Loan collections pest

Old 02-26-2018, 06:58 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There is no way I would ever tell my children what to do with their lives.
They are adults and were raised to make their own decisions.
I may not like nor agree with their choice but I would never tell them not to do something.
But if asked, a parent can often give some wise wisdom to their budding adult child. Doctors say that rational part of the brain doesn't fully develop until 25 or so.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:54 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,955 times
No entertainment - too many pedophiles. Industry has too many directors and producers take advantage of young children

Old 02-26-2018, 08:12 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Blue Collar unless self-employed with high income

Old 02-26-2018, 10:07 AM

496 posts, read 411,651 times
Nothing illegal

Other than that, as long as they are happy I am good. I never wanted my kids to go into factory work (that is mostly what there is here in this part of Indiana) but one of them has and seems happy enough.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:22 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
I don't want them in any career that makes them unhappy. That's pretty much it.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:22 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I will probably get hammered for this, but I will probably discourage my kid from any military aspirations. I don't want him dead or a "wounded warrier" before age 30 or dealing with PTSD, since I don't buy the "protecting our freedoms" bit and this country doesn't take care of its returning vets in any sort of meaningful fashion.
My husband is a veteran and he would agree with you. He doesn't want our kids going what he went through, and the physical and emotional toll that it has taken. At 30, he feels 70 some days!

With that said, if they really want a military career, we are going to encourage them to go to college first, and then if they still want to serve, go the commissioned officer route rather than enlist. DH feels that if they really want to be military, being an officer may be slightly less brutal than enlisted.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 AM

589 posts, read 1,347,689 times
I talked my daughter out of becoming a teacher. I have the highest respect and regard for teachers, but until our education system corrects, I would not advise ANYONE to go into teaching right now.

Other career goals that she has discussed include exotic dancing. I cautioned her about the pitfalls but she knows I've got her back, always. She backed away from that and is now in nursing school.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:27 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
Nothing illegal

Other than that, as long as they are happy I am good. I never wanted my kids to go into factory work (that is mostly what there is here in this part of Indiana) but one of them has and seems happy enough.
I started out on an assembly line--->transferred into quality assurance ----> Moved into Shipping/Receiving for a year ----> bid into machine operator ----> became a machinist----> moved into an hourly group leader role ----> promoted to production supervisor---> (got my degrees via employer assistance) moved into HR as a generalist ---> promoted to HR manager and did that for 10 years---> decided to run back to operations leadership and now am an manufacturing operations manager 2nd in command to the plant manager

Manufacturing has been good for me. My dad worked in manufacturing (as Maintenance/Electrical) for his entire career and did just fine. Skilled trades pay pretty well if your kids have a penchant for them and some unions will sponsor the training if it's an organized shop. Even if they aren't interested in moving laterally/up, manufacturing generally pays better and is less frustrating--at least IMO--than fields like food service or retail. I did a year and a half of retail prior to getting into manufacturing because I was not yet 18 and ha ha, I will just say I have great admiration for people who have to deal with the public. Most of them are nice but those 5% who aren't just make you want to go buy a car with a trunk large enough to hide all of their bodies in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting