Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 11:58 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm saying that they should be adult to laugh at you when you provoke them, and tell you to go to hell instead of sulking off in a corner, in a safe spot, and crying.
People can react however they choose to. It's fine to be upset when someone verbally attacks. That's a normal human response. If it's offensive to you, then perhaps you are the one who needs to work on some issues.

If you want to be able to openly insult someone in the workplace or at school, with no repercussions or consequences, then you are the one who wants to be coddled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 12:05 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Yes, because teaching people to blindly follow orders, to be unable to think for themselves, to have unquestioning respect for authority, and that violence is the first solution to problems would be GREAT for this country and the world!
Unfortunately, teachers have to follow the teaching curriculum set forth by the administrators of the schools. School boards are the ones setting what is being taught to our youngsters these days.

Teachers are frustrated as hell with the no child left behind crap. It is a dumbing down of the whole class so that the ones that need special help can pass along with his/her class. God forbid a child gets held back because ya know, sometimes they really need that extra year.

Don't get me started on 'participation' awards or even a graduation ceremony for passing kindergarten!!

We have a few teachers in the family. 2 have retired and are happy to be retired due to the bureaucracy rampant in schools.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:31 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Teachers are frustrated as hell with the no child left behind crap. It is a dumbing down of the whole class so that the ones that need special help can pass along with his/her class. God forbid a child gets held back because ya know, sometimes they really need that extra year. .
Lots of kids get held back a year, in fact, so often that it's been given the name "Redshirting".

Old 03-05-2018, 12:35 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Lots of kids get held back a year, in fact, so often that it's been given the name "Redshirting".
Which doesn't have anything to do with Star Trek, for those who might not know.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:40 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I can understand the push toward sexual protection - but at the same time, college is when you should start to learn how to deal with things you'll encounter in the real world, and I think people may end up dangerously naïve.

Young people are radically changing how we think about violence, consent and gender. Antioch College is where much of the conversation started.
By Katherine Rosman

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/24/s...on-policy.html
Kollij administrators and perfesserz and some idiot students who buy into this tomfoolery are seriously paranoid control freaks. There is absolutely nothing normal about this brainwashing of college students.

In 1990, Antioch College students pioneered its affirmative sexual consent policy, formulating a document now called the Sexual Offense Prevention Policy. It was mocked by much of the rest of the world. Since then, campuses across the country have caught up. Education about consent is now part of college life.

Now, the current crop of pioneers at Antioch are moving the conversation beyond sex to discussions of consent in platonic touch.

Idiocracy. 480 years ahead of schedule.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:54 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I can understand the push toward sexual protection - but at the same time, college is when you should start to learn how to deal with things you'll encounter in the real world, and I think people may end up dangerously naïve.

Young people are radically changing how we think about violence, consent and gender. Antioch College is where much of the conversation started.
By Katherine Rosman

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/24/s...on-policy.html
Shielded? How about just take reasonable precautions - don't get drunk, don't meet a first date from the internet in a dark back alley, and if you are going to have sex - use protection? What ever happened to prudence?

Old 03-05-2018, 12:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Redshirting is not the same as getting held back.

Just FYI, redshirting in academics refers to delaying entering kindergarten not being held back. It comes from college athletics when freshmen sometimes do not use their first year in college as one of their limited years of competitive eligibility.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:36 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Young people are not "kids"

they do not need to be "shielded", if people treated young people are ADULTS they wouldn't go around crying about needing someone to be responsible for their mistakes

if kids want to make adult decisions, they need to take the responsibilities of the consequences as well
No one shielded us and we came out OK. College is the on ramp to real adulthood

Safe spaces and shielded students lead to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGvrmltfMrA

Old 03-05-2018, 09:45 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
I'm a senior citizen who attended college in the late '60s. I lived with my parents but college was 20 miles away and 2,000 years away. When I started college I had an arrangement with my parents; graduating college was my responsibility as were my hours. I was expected to call home if I intended to be out all night. That's it. I satisfied my parents: I graduated, went on to a very successful career. I never told them about the stuff they wouldn't have wanted to know about: smoking dope, protests, getting laid, etc. Yeah that hurt me bad. I'm a very happy senior citizen now, dating 4 very nice women, doing well financially, having the best time of my life! Um, funny, except for the dope I seem to be doing the same things I was in my 20s, except all I have to do is watch my one rental house and my stock portfolio. Oh... and not get their names mixed up. Not good!

That which does not kill you makes you stronger. I didn't need any sheltering. I think that sheltering makes people weak.

Oh, not protesting any more. I realized it does no good. The government is rigged. Better to just party and forget that it's rigged. As long as the market is doing good I could care less what they do in D.C.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:29 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Redshirting is not the same as getting held back.

Just FYI, redshirting in academics refers to delaying entering kindergarten not being held back. It comes from college athletics when freshmen sometimes do not use their first year in college as one of their limited years of competitive eligibility.
To clarify, this is the parents electing to hold children back a year, typically when a child has a later birthday in the summer right before when the school year starts. It has been a concept that has been around a long time now. I know people who are in their mid-30s now who have summer birthdays who were redshirted.

There are plenty of people who weren’t ready for college at 18 even generations ago. I know people who are in their late 50s/early 60s who never finished college because they went at 18 and weren’t mentally prepared for it. I really don’t think that there is any difference between this generation and the prior generation. The main difference is just that the issues to be addressed are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting