Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
So basically, it's the same as the school supply racket. Teachers will require the supplies of whichever brand/company lobbied their respective school, such as Ticonderoga, rather than, say, Rose Art. Same with snacks: Pepperidge Farm can lobby the school to have its products added to the "healthy" list, while a parent baking cookie at home has no such luxury.

You know, teachers always talk about how their profession isn't respected highly enough. Well, news flash! If they could stop flexing their power muscle over students' snacks, and spend that time actually teaching academics---even teach to the test, if they must---maybe the respect level would go up.
You think TEACHERS have any say about what is sold in the cafeteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 08:23 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,869,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You think TEACHERS have any say about what is sold in the cafeteria?
Obviously not. I was talking about classroom snacks. If I read the earlier post correctly, the teacher threw away a child's homemade cookie at snacktime, not in the cafeteria. And speaking of classroom snacks, are they really necessary at grade levels above kindergarten, maybe 1st grade at most? Eating too much food is way unhealthier than an occasional cookie, let alone packaged snacks full of hydrolyzed soy, corn syrup, bleached flour, and Yellow #5. But school these days won't stand for common sense!

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 06-20-2018 at 09:40 PM..

Old 06-21-2018, 06:55 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,246 times
Quote:
Obviously not. I was talking about classroom snacks. If I read the earlier post correctly, the teacher threw away a child's homemade cookie at snacktime, not in the cafeteria. And speaking of classroom snacks, are they really necessary at grade levels above kindergarten, maybe 1st grade at most? Eating too much food is way unhealthier than an occasional cookie, let alone packaged snacks full of hydrolyzed soy, corn syrup, bleached flour, and Yellow #5. But school these days won't stand for common sense!
Please...stop while you're behind.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Teachers can't tell parents to buy particular brands of snack. And if they are throwing away food it is in enforcement of a policies they do not write.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Teachers can't tell parents to buy particular brands of snack. And if they are throwing away food it is in enforcement of a policies they do not write.
Well, can't she just tell the kid: "Put that cookie away. It's not allowed in the classroom." As opposed to playing judge, jury, and executioner with a kid's personal possessions.

Schools! I can't even!

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 06-21-2018 at 08:30 AM..

Old 06-21-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Well, can't she just tell the kid: "Put that cookie away. It's not allowed in the classroom." As opposed to playing judge, jury, and executioner with a kid's personal possessions.

Schools! I can't even!
So you think teachers should break the rules when kids do?

Old 06-21-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
So you think teachers should break the rules when kids do?
If the letter of the law says that all homemade cookies, or any foods not meeting certain criteria, must be thrown in the garbage, then I concede: the cookie has gotta go. Otherwise, the teacher is just on a big power trip. (For the good of the children, of course. )

Old 06-24-2018, 02:20 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am all for schools deciding what kind of food to provide, and I would hope it qualifies as healthy by one measure or another, but parents should be allowed to send their children to school with whatever food they want.

That a teacher would take homemade cookies from a child and substitute freakin' goldfish crackers is utterly absurd. Not only for the violation of the parent's right, but to think that goldfish crackers are a healthy alternative.

If you see a child drinking a beer, you don't take it away from them and give them a cigarette.
Sorry to be late to chime in...but most districts hold school board meetings regularly. If you don't like the fascist tactics used in school cafeterias, attend and speak your mind!
They work for YOU!

In a neighboring district, a child's lunch was confiscated...she had a peanut butter sandwich, bag of chips, snack cake and a Little Hug drink. They confiscated it because it had no fruit or milk. The mother was livid that they did this, and did she make her opinion known! She raised unholy h*ll. As did others whose kids' lunches were pawed through and dissected. It wasn't even the school district where I work, but we all heard about it. It was the hot gossip topic weeks later at my hair salon (it's a small town). A co-worker of mine said if they ever pulled that "lunch inspection crap" when her son was in school, she'd pack a dummy lunch with something in it that they wouldn't soon forget.

Seriously, these lunch inspections and food confiscations are intrusive and WAY out of line. No way it would be stood for in the district where I work. Go to the school board meetings...write letters...speak up!!!!

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 06-24-2018 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
If the letter of the law says that all homemade cookies, or any foods not meeting certain criteria, must be thrown in the garbage, then I concede: the cookie has gotta go. Otherwise, the teacher is just on a big power trip. (For the good of the children, of course. )
If you can't be bothered to petition the school board to change policy, you have no business telling teachers to ignore it just so you can feed your kid whatever garbage you want. Stop expecting teachers to do things you should be doing.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:19 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,269,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post

I don't think anyone is going to make the argument that a homemade cookie is healthy.

I don't think it makes the policy wrong, I think it makes how it is executed wrong.
Sorry....I'm that anyone...

There should be no policy at all....unless it's coming from the schools own kitchen.
Parents should be able to pack whatever they want or can for their child to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting