Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 05:04 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You TOLD them? With no discussion? They are in high school...
There was a discussion. They know why we don't want them involved. The consequences of a walkout is also suspension and loss of exemptions for finals.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:51 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
So glad my kids are done with school. This is nonsense.

On a school day, their freedom of speech is asking/answering questions in a classroom or chatting up their friends during free time. School hours are for schooling.

Grandstanding over the issue d'jour can be done after the bell rings...

Old 03-08-2018, 06:34 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I was pleased to receive an email saying that my son's middle school will be supporting National School Walkout day by putting procedures in place to let the students conduct this peaceful protest on campus under adult supervision in a safe and orderly way.
Pleased?

I would be totally pissed. My tax money is supposed to pay for an education, not a snowflake day off

Old 03-08-2018, 06:37 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
The schools ARE NOT supporting this, but mine, like the OP's is making sure that if students choose walk out, they will be protected. That's a whole heck of a lot better then just watching them walk out and wishing them good luck.
They should be protecting their students while IN SCHOOL, not on the streets

Old 03-08-2018, 06:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
The schools ARE NOT supporting this, but mine, like the OP's is making sure that if students choose walk out, they will be protected. That's a whole heck of a lot better then just watching them walk out and wishing them good luck.

So no worries, you can leave the indoctrination to home.
Why should they be protected by a school for violating school rules? Let them know beforehand that they will have whatever the penalty is for cutting school enforced upon them and if enough of the kids do this then add the missed day on to the end of school or take if from a school holiday.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:17 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
If my children were still in high school, I would support them in walking out or not attending that day if they could explain to me why they wanted to participate. If they just wanted some time off, it wouldn't necessarily fly. I would make sure they understood the consequences. Frankly, as a former Social Studies teacher, I would be proud as heck of them acting as responsible citizens and peacefully protesting.

Over 200 colleges/universities have now said that admissions will not be jeopardized IF a student is suspended for protesting on this day.

The future has always been in our collective children. I hope they finally are able to make the changes that the so called adults have not been able to make.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:21 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
People should really educate themselves a bit more about things before they comment. The walk out is not a day out of school, it's 17 minutes. One minute for each person killed at MSD. One minute each to acknowledge a human life taken because too many people are obsessed with guns and too many people are scared of a lobbying group whose sole goal is to make sure that gun manufacturers make as much money as possible.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:35 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
People should really educate themselves a bit more about things before they comment. The walk out is not a day out of school, it's 17 minutes. One minute for each person killed at MSD. One minute each to acknowledge a human life taken because too many people are obsessed with guns and too many people are scared of a lobbying group whose sole goal is to make sure that gun manufacturers make as much money as possible.
The length of time doesn't matter. It is disruptive to whatever class is in session.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:37 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
The length of time doesn't matter. It is disruptive to whatever class is in session.
Schools also teach life lessons. They are planning discussions around the walk out, about peaceful protest, about freedom of speech, about the issues raised by these murders, about public participation in politics and public policy and so much more. Hopefully no one is so narrow minded as to think that only what's contained in the pages of a text book is worth learning.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:22 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've told my own kids not to get involved in it either way.
Wow....I find that really sad. We are raising citizens and voters. Regardless of a parent's personal thought (on either side of the issue), I cannot imagine telling kids not to get involved. I would support whatever choice they made for this as long as they had a thoughtful opinion about it. Have a discussion with your child and find out what they think and why. Listen to them. I told my (now adult) children (and demonstrated by example I hope) that part of your civic duty is to be aware and involved. Have an opinion. I do not expect that their opinion must mirror my own and they sometimes haven't over the years, but I'm still proud that they do have opinions and do feel moved to act on them. High school is not 2nd grade. They should be expecting to be heard and learning how to voice their opinion in ways that matter. Sometimes that looks like writing letters or making phone calls and sometimes that might look like walking out for 17 minutes.

Last edited by maciesmom; 03-08-2018 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting