Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 05:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are expected to buy all our food when we visit his parents. Anything we eat or drink, even tea bags, we have to buy all of it because they don't like sharing anything. But when they come visit us, they eat anything they want in our house. It just seems one-sided to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 05:15 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
My husband and I are expected to buy all our food when we visit his parents. Anything we eat or drink, even tea bags, we have to buy all of it because they don't like sharing anything. But when they come visit us, they eat anything they want in our house. It just seems one-sided to me.
That does seem pretty one-sided to me, too.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
We have two grown children in their mid-twenties with spouses (no kids of their own) all fully employed with decent salaries and little debt. My wife always insists that we (the parents) should foot the bill when we go out to eat. We are looking at retiring in less than ten years and I think it’s about time we all go Dutch. She’s having a really hard time letting go of this practice. I say the kids are adults and need to add this going dutch habit to their “adulting” practice.

Feedback?
My dad always insisted on paying when we went out to family meals (which only happened 1-2x a year because we live in separate states. But once he retired, we began picking up the check whenever we go out with them. But we were never TOLD to do it - we just did it.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:26 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
I find it hard to get my head around that, first of all, my parents and my wife’s parents would NEVER, EVER, have done something like that, and second of all, if either set of parents had floated the idea, they would probably never have seen me or my wife again.
Who ever heard of parents who wouldn’t share with their kids, but would expect the kids to pay for what they ate in their parents home?

Old 03-16-2018, 09:40 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Do you know what they like and don't like? Can you make sure your kitchen is filled to the brim with all the things they don't like when they visit?

Old 03-16-2018, 09:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Do you know what they like and don't like? Can you make sure your kitchen is filled to the brim with all the things they don't like when they visit?
LOL! It would be very fitting.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:42 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,271 times
As the adult child, my husband and I always offer to pay, but usually my parents won't take money from us. Maybe once in a blue moon they'll let us contribute or pay the whole bill. My father can be a bit old fashioned and he always says he doesn't want to take money from his kids, ever. My mother tends to be on the more frugal side of things and if it's just her, she may be more willing to let us pay.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:27 PM

37 posts, read 51,267 times
When I offer to pay, my dad says "don't be ridiculous"! 🙄 At least he knows I don't take him for granted!

Old 03-21-2018, 07:06 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
I don't know how far away your in laws live. But if it is FAR, my attitude would be to grin and bear it... as infrequently as I could get away with.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:57 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Yes, we pay for our kids and their significant others and one grandchild. We usually go out to dinner for everyone's birthday, so that's several times a year, and then random other times. When we retire I think that will probably need to change. I always tell my kids they can pay for us someday when they are making more money and we aren't working anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting