Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:49 PM

113 posts, read 78,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Yikes. Maybe the GF feels like her previous relationships were sabotaged by her BF's family and, given how young she is, that's a possibility. So she may be launching a preemptive strike this time.
This is a distinct possibility that has crossed my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
OP, I am so sorry to hear about your situation.

Does it have anything to do with religion? I know in some certain sects, if you are not one of the "True Church", you are going to be shunned/avoided. Are son's fiance's family of a religion that might do this, and do you think they may be trying to convert him (thus "keeping" him from you)? During the indoctrination", they'll want to keep him as isolated as possible, then once he's hooked, they'll then want to keep him in the "bubble" and away from outside influences.

I've seen and experienced similar firsthand with DH's Seventh Day Adventist family, although not quite to the extent you describe. After 35 plus years of avoiding "conversion overtures", I'm not exactly on the family A list, but I'm very familiar with how potential coverts are taken "under the wing".
I don’t see where these people are particularly religious but I do get the sense that something like this minus religion might be going on. What that would be, I don’t know. They’re awfully possessive of him.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:00 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
this just keeps getting curiouser and curiouser

maybe it's one of those non-religious self-improvement cult type things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmark_Worldwide

Old 03-23-2018, 02:31 PM

220 posts, read 145,322 times
Are you sure the soon-to-be is a girl? The young man may be having difficulty in that regard if that's the case.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSGood View Post
Are you sure the soon-to-be is a girl? The young man may be having difficulty in that regard if that's the case.
Lol, yes ...she is a girl and he’s a good looking, very bright young man. He’s had zero trouble with women. If he were gay it would not be an issue with us.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I find it interesting that the story expands with each new post, rather than many important details being included in the OP.
If I had written everything in the OP I’d be exhausted and as people ask about it I remember other details. This situation has been going on for awhile now - it isn’t something that just started in the last week - and my sincere apologies to you for not writing it out the way you might prefer or find less “interesting.”

I’ve been nice to even the less than friendly posts but today I’m not in the mood. You have nothing to contribute so move along.

Last edited by puglandia; 03-23-2018 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Added quotes for more emphasis on intended sarcasm

Old 03-23-2018, 08:07 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Have you tried Googling the bride and her family? One often learns very interesting and informative things that way...

Old 03-23-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Have you tried Googling the bride and her family? One often learns very interesting and informative things that way...
Yes we have and so far haven’t found much. We’ve learned the most from FB (some very odd yet public posts) and my older SS who lives in the same city as they do.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I find the story bizarre but the OP strikes me as rational person struggling with a tough situation. Obviously it's impossible to know who is behind the keyboard, but I was not questioning the OP's veracity, I'm just saying it's a strange and unusual situation.

I've read the entire thread as it has expanded and I've seen the OP answer the same question multiple times, with consistent answers each time. Sharing additional information as new questions get asked and new details get shared doesn't seem particularly suspicious to me. And while maybe I missed something, she's been exceedingly responsive about sharing additional facts as questions are asked. Unlike many threads where there is some elephant in the room - some glaring issue that the OP gets asked about multiple times by numerous people and always skips answering. The OP has answered pretty much every question she's been asked.

And well, if I'm wrong, then kudos to the OP for coming up with such a very creative tale. She's a very readable writer, and I'm in for the duration of the thread to see how the story ends (either way, true or not! lol!)
I may have missed a question or two but there have been a lot of posts. I won’t answer the religion question again because I’ve already replied to that a bunch.

I’ve also been looking into this situation more than we did before so I’ve learned a lot more about this whole thing in the last few days. Which obviously adds to the detail.

I’m way too busy - and sane - to make up what is definitely a bizarre story. Bizarre and sad but definitely true.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:31 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,301 times
So when is the wedding date?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting