Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 10:35 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
My son complains a lot about what I make him do around the house, but I do laugh to myself and think that some day his wife will thank me!

I had a recent discussion with some moms I know with similar aged kids (mine is 13) and it turns out that I do actually seem to expect more from him than many of them expected from their kids. He doesn't cook which some kids do by his age because he's just not interested. But he does a fair amount of routine housecleaning chores - in some cases, the other moms were just starting to teach their kids how to do laundry or load and unload the dishwasher, which are things he's been doing for years. And not all of these kids were boys.
Oh It's so good to hear your doing so, and healthy,.....for everyone....and yeah, they will complain, but if you explain that we all have to pull together and help with chores around the house, it helps. And it helps keep them off the internet and phone.

My son loves to cook, and he's very good at it and not afraid to try new recipes. He was in the same kind of situation with his wife, she did nothing, nothing and he finally got very tired of it....and left...now he is dating a gal who is thanking me for raising him the way I did, she tells me, "he is amazing" and yanno what, his first wife never ever said a thing, it was simply expected that he do these things. He even got up in the morning and made his daughter a good breakfast, did his ironing, cleaning, laundry, shopping and cooking...all she did was come home from work and sit on her phone...and it took her 3 hours to get ready for work.

When you get no reciprocation, it turns to resentment and sooner or later one figures it out, and leaves. I had a child, not a husband, and the same with the op.

Thank you emm74 for what you do....for your son.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 10:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
My son complains a lot about what I make him do around the house, but I do laugh to myself and think that some day his wife will thank me!

That's awesome!

My son (6) cleared the table last night and rinsed the dishes that would get dried out stuff on them.
My father (77) washed them.

[It was our Easter dinner (that my mother cooked) that we had early bc I'm working today.]

Old 04-02-2018, 06:48 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's awesome!

My son (6) cleared the table last night and rinsed the dishes that would get dried out stuff on them.
My father (77) washed them.

[It was our Easter dinner (that my mother cooked) that we had early bc I'm working today.]
I'm so smiling b/c it helps when the other men in the house pitch in like that, so the children see how it's done...."Lead by example"

Old 04-02-2018, 07:52 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

Then to top it off, his friends would come up and visit a lot on a Sunday for the whole day...I never got any down time....was always cooking or doing something...

See now that's just uncalled for. The fellows should be cooking their own brats and steaks. Let the men cook the men food and drink the beer.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:19 AM

48 posts, read 35,228 times
Excellent article. I think we often get wrapped up in our own goings-on and we forget to put ourselves in our partner's shoes and give them the help and appreciation that they deserve.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:28 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
"Men are lazy by nature, b/c their mother's created a monster for the woman he was going to marry. She did not teach him to help around the house."

I agree! That sentence sums it up nicely, for me.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:11 AM

581 posts, read 456,448 times
Why don't they hire help, or if they can afford to live off one income, either the husband or wife quits and stays at home? It seems like they're making their lives complicated for no reason.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:40 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
"Men are lazy by nature, b/c their mother's created a monster for the woman he was going to marry. She did not teach him to help around the house."

I agree! That sentence sums it up nicely, for me.
Generalize much?

Old 04-02-2018, 03:15 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
I'm going to say something to all of you....

Mother's of sons, if you think I'm kidding, do everything for your son and see what happens. You will have created a monster for their wives....and let me tell you, I can honestly say, I disliked his mother with a passion b/c she made him what he was. Lazy.
For their WIVES? How about for their family of origin.... or for that matter for their own selfish, lazy lacking in character... behinds.

Quote:

Men, your wife isn't alone in this and just b/c you work 40 or more hours a week, doesn't mean your job is over, pitch in and help.

It's no ones job, your partners, and you both live in the same house, so you both need to help each other.

Then to top it off, his friends would come up and visit a lot on a Sunday for the whole day...I never got any down time....was always cooking or doing something...

I never ever again, want to be a mother to any man.....won't ever happen again.
You just did that? Since it won't happen again, are we assuming you dumped his lazy butt?

Old 04-02-2018, 03:38 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times
Quote:
I think they do to, but if moms would train their sons from little on, that a man's part of helping is not just going to work and coming home and sitting in front of the TV...honestly, it's important to help little boys turn into helpful responsible husbands....and I believe some mothers make their children, their whole purpose in life, doing everything for them...which is so wrong.
I agree with this, but I would like to add that it will be difficult to make a lasting impression on the boys if they don’t also see their dads doing their share of these things around the house.

Last edited by Gusano; 04-02-2018 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: The usual: typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting