Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 12:02 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
My favorite thing about these threads is learning how many people have absolutely no sentimental attachment, to anything or anyone. What exactly prompted you to have children at all?
Wow - that's quite a leap! Just because you aren't a hoarder doesn't mean you don't love your children! Things are just that - things! They aren't people, relationships, or proof of love. Not everyone is sappy and sentimental. Not everyone has room to store a bunch of stuff in their homes. Some people like a clean, uncluttered, and organized space. Many people have to downsize and take only what they need. It's just STUFF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 12:49 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Wow - that's quite a leap! Just because you aren't a hoarder doesn't mean you don't love your children! Things are just that - things! They aren't people, relationships, or proof of love. Not everyone is sappy and sentimental. Not everyone has room to store a bunch of stuff in their homes. Some people like a clean, uncluttered, and organized space. Many people have to downsize and take only what they need. It's just STUFF.
You sure leaped to demonizing people who valued their historical items as "sappy and sentimental".

You can minimize the importance of anything by putting "it's just..." in front of it. That's social engineering at work.

I'm not suggesting acting as a storage facility for your grown children.

I AM disturbed by posters who strive to eradicate all evidence that their children ever lived there.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:35 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
My favorite thing about these threads is learning how many people have absolutely no sentimental attachment, to anything or anyone. What exactly prompted you to have children at all?
I love people, not things. When my children are independent adults, they are responsible for managing their stuff, not me.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:54 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
Quote:
I value my grown daughter waaayyy above the dusty collection of pre-school paintings she brought home. Or any other inanimate object.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Child things, we selected some of the cooler toys and books and put them away for possible grandchildren. The rest we donated. Teenage things - most if it we shipped to them or donated. A few things we stuck in storage space. Now they all seem to be moving back in and bringing more things with them.

While I am happy to have them home for a while, we could do with less things. Also more closing of doors, outting of lights, and cleaning of floors.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:33 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Daughter got married and moved to her hubby's home town many states away. She also knew we were selling the house and going full time in our RV, which we did. It was never even a thought that we would store her stuff for her so we were fortunate in that respect. The vast majority was already gone as she had been on her own for quite a while. We did find a box of her things when were cleaning out the house. I didn't call and ask-I just mailed them to her. Not dealing with her picking and choosing.

OTOH when I was single and just out of college moving around a lot I had asked my parents to store my dorm sized fridge and a waterbed. At different times I asked for these things and the answer was the same-we gave them away.

My mom had saved boxes of my childhood toys as well as report cards, homework papers, you name it. Ultimately they wound up in my shed when my folks moved in with me due to declining health. In 2016, when we were cleaning out the house to sell it, I went through those boxes. Sold most of the toys and tossed the rest. They were still in the boxes from 1983 that my folks had used when they retired and moved to Florida.

What I learned:
-Your kids do not want your stuff.
-Old does not mean valuable.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 PM

371 posts, read 287,887 times
We left his room the way it was for 1 year.
He came back during College right when he got a job with Apple working from home
He needed fast enough internet which we had.
He stayed for 2 or so more years.
He just bought a Condo and is already back to his pack-ratting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting