Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:58 AM

6,383 posts, read 5,009,673 times

Advertisements

Does it have to do with working-class parents genuinely having less ability to afford keeping kids around too long, or is it just a fervent desire on their part to make sure their kids have the resources to be self-sufficient, or is it just an issue of differing values?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 09:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Never start a thread with "why" unless you can back it up. I'd like to see some stats to support your OP.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:57 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I don't know how true that is. Lower income families often have multiple generations in one house. OP can maybe get us the statistics that show it is most common in high income households?

Old 04-04-2018, 09:58 AM

581 posts, read 456,677 times
That's weird because I find it to be the opposite. It's usually more common to see multi-generational households in lower income demographics because of the high cost of living and daycare in most urban areas.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:11 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know how true that is. Lower income families often have multiple generations in one house. OP can maybe get us the statistics that show it is most common in high income households?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
That's weird because I find it to be the opposite. It's usually more common to see multi-generational households in lower income demographics because of the high cost of living and daycare in most urban areas.
This has also been my observation.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:17 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times
There might be a family income level where there isn't a correlation to "higher the income, lower chance children move out." And if we were to assume that there was some income level where that is true, it could simply be that these children are used to the comforts their parents afforded them, yet they don't have the ability to do anything close to that on their own, so they stay home and (hopefully) accrue some wealth of their own before striking out.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
it could simply be that these children are used to the comforts their parents afforded them, yet they don't have the ability to do anything close to that on their own, so they stay home and (hopefully) accrue some wealth of their own before striking out.
This is what I was going to suggest, if it is true in general. I know it is among the adult "kids" that I know. Heaven forbid they live with roommates and one bathroom in a crappy starter apartment. That's so "ghetto" according to one young adult relative of mine.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:33 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,867,616 times
When I lived in Australia (high COL in the major cities), multi generational households from the upper middle and wealthier classes seemed more common than here in Midwestern USA.

As another poster said, it was because the alternative (in Australia) was living somewhere substandard. This seemed to be the case for young adults either in university or just out of university, who didn't yet have the income for a 'decent' place of their own.

In the affordable Midwest, the reverse seems true- the multi generatfinal households are in the working and lower classes.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:51 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
I use to work for the very successful black man, when his kids grew up and mature into working members, he would add on to his house, with another wing. so it was like five large houses connected by walkways. He told me once, so when he retired the family would still run the company and take care of him. It was his retirement plan to have the whole clan in his household. Must of been 45 people in that house. Like a family complex / commune

Old 04-04-2018, 08:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Does it have to do with working-class parents genuinely having less ability to afford keeping kids around too long, or is it just a fervent desire on their part to make sure their kids have the resources to be self-sufficient, or is it just an issue of differing values?
I’ve found it to be opposite, at least in my high cost of living area: the well-off parents will pay for 4 years in a university dorm and pay their progeny’s rent for a few years (or let them live in the pool house rent-free), while working class parents are fine with having their adult children live at home as long as they contribute.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 04-04-2018 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting