Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2018, 06:19 PM

820 posts, read 972,167 times

Advertisements

I am more than a teenager now but still a young adult and I love holidays. You get to eat, drink, socialize with relatives you barely see, and take a break from the stress of everyday life. My cousins all feel the same way, but one of them was saying to me, "I think we're the exception at our age. All of my friends were complaining about today being Easter because they had to get out of bed and actually talk to people." I thought about that after and it turns out a lot of people I know my age are like that too. They have no issues in their family, but they dread the holidays all year, because they know they will not be able to sit in bed all day and watch TV, but actually have to go out and interact with their relatives. How can people be so lazy and negative? I never bothered to explore the issue because I have better things to do, but am I really the exception as a young person that I actually enjoy the holidays and interacting with my relatives? Is everyone else so miserable that they just want to be left alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 09:32 PM

34 posts, read 18,085 times
I love holidays and always have! I guess i along with my core group was never a "typical" teenager i guess. I was happy, social and never really bored. Guess i am still a kid at heart.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
I'm sure there are teens that dislike holidays just as there are teens that enjoy them. Not all families have warm and fuzzy relationships, and not everybody has extended family nearby.

My kids seemed to enjoy big family gatherings, they have lots of cousins close in age. If those types of celebrations still happened, I don't think I'd hear any complaints. But, the kids are grown and moved away, and death and divorce have pared down the numbers considerably. We no longer celebrate holidays.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:29 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,349,728 times
When my kids were growing up, and even as teenagers, we did lots of "nontraditional" things on holidays. We usually saw relatives and celebrated with family on the day before Christmas and Christmas Eve, then went to a movie Christmas day. The long weekend Easter break was usually spent on a mini vacation somewhere...Easter morning both girls had an Easter basket full of candy left on the table in the motel room. They'd eat candy in bed...rule was, "Eat what you want and don't get sick". Then we'd go off somewhere to spend Easter Sunday...lots of places were open. Once, we went to the zoo in Pittsburgh (free admission Easter Sunday), another time it was Niagara Falls, another time it was the Gettysburg Battlefield. When they were teenagers, and you'd think they'd start to balk at these little trips and want to stay home, they still wanted to go!

Old 04-02-2018, 06:42 AM

214 posts, read 180,350 times
My kids both teens love holidays and spending time their cousins, aunts and uncles.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:59 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
I have a tween and she still loves holidays! She might not believe in Santa anymore, but she still enjoys getting gifts! She just went along with searching for eggs and a basket for Easter so not to spoil the fun for her younger sister!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting