Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:13 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times

Advertisements

Surely I'm not the only person here thinking that many of the posts sound like they could have been written by MY parents back in the late 60s/early 70s

Old 04-04-2018, 11:15 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And what about that guy in Sweden...Norway...I forget where exactly, that shot up all those kids who were at camp? He was a full-assed grown man.

Like, as many of us keep trying to say...it's not just kids, and it's not new.
Anders Breivik in Norway in 2011.

But remember his act was supremely unusual in his society. We have mass shootings in ours regularly.

This might make an interesting discussion for another thread.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:50 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Miss Blue Personally I believe too many people stereotype young people after the ones they see doing harm or destruction in some of the news reports. Stereotyping is a dangerous thing to do to any society, as it breeds hate and distrust.
Yes, Stereotyping is a bad thing to do, and I admit, that I probably do it more than most...but I don't hate or distrust kids or people...just wanted to get feed back on the negative things some kids engage in, and why people think they go in that direction...especially after the recent shootings....the report I heard yesterday morning, all those kids who rioted against police brutality, etc.

Quote:
My whole long long life has been devoted to raising my kids, a few of their friends, some of my grandkids and I have spent many years volunteering in various youth activities.
Yes, same here, I was a Sunday School teacher, and youth group adviser, and in addition at one time volunteered to help a day car with disabled children, plus all my son's friends who spent a lot of time at our home, but I never remember kids doing the stuff some of them do today.

Quote:
Having said that, I see the goodness in our young adults of today, and two generations before them, and I have found that most of them are respectful of themselves, their parents and of authority.
that is encouraging....I don't see it any more, nearly as much, b/c I'm really no longer affiliated with kids or children.

Quote:
I sometimes see the young adults acting more like adults than the adults do.
Again, a very positive take, thank you.

Quote:
Yes we have always had some young adults who acted up for various reasons, but I truly believe they are the minority, just getting the majority of the "air time".
someone in this thread had mentioned, boys driving in a car and using a baseball bat to smash mail boxes....I remember that did happen to my sister...and they had to devise a way to bring the mailbox in at night....but other than that, our kids, the kids I hung with growing up, and honestly don't remember kids doing the things that some kids do today to cause trouble.

Quote:
I would love to see more "Lets give credit where credits due" to this generation of young people.
Yes, I would to....b/c watching the news seems to be my only source of information any more...and as it did many the shootings are very disturbing...along with the bullying.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Parents did this stuff long before social media. My parents gave me lemons to chew on and laughed about the face I made. My neighbor told my friend that Santa forgot to stop by their house, then revealed all of the Christmas gifts "Santa" left on the back patio. We all turned out OK. This was in the 70s.
^^
this, yes, I realize that, not saying it didn't happen before, however, seeing it now on social media, does anger me, it isn't right to do to a child...along with Kimmel's request to prank kids telling them that "we ate all your Halloween Candy" to not only see what a negative reaction one gets out of it, but also, film it...that is down right mean...and wrong.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:01 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
what is wrong with kids today?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Surely I'm not the only person here thinking that many of the posts sound like they could have been written by MY parents back in the late 60s/early 70s
Around the year 430, the Romans under Emperor Theodosius published a legal code; one of the provisions was a rant against young students roaming in the streets drunk, damaging public property, and that the penalty, if caught and convicted, was banishment from the city.

I could provide the exact statute number and possibly a translation from the Latin, if anyone is interested.

At any rate, point being that how to educate and raise children, and ensure desired outcomes, has been a problem across the human race since the year one.

And there is no fool-proof solution because life is art, not science.

Good Luck!

Old 04-05-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I remember my foster mom speaking to a friend...I was in my teens, and she was stating how all the neighborhood kids were good kids....and the story about my foster brother. My mom was heavily into her garden, she spent many hours in it, growing beautiful flowers all summer long.

My brother was walking down our sidewalk, with two friends, he was oh, maybe 8 years old, and he was telling his friends while walking, "my mother works this garden all summer long, she loves her flowers, you can look at them, but please don't ever pick them". She smiled, and said, when she heard him tell them that, it filled her with so much joy that such a young child would tell his friends to not pick her flowers.

My point is, that honestly, us and all the neighborhood kids, were not into drinking, destroying the property of others, drugs, or other behaviors that were wrong...and I honestly don't remember shootings, bullying, etc...going on during those times.

Kids are kids, and we had some that were considered bad kids, b/c they smoked, hung out on the corners, or at the ice cream shope, but I give you my word, I don't remember kids during my son's time or my time, rioting, turning over cars, jumping up and down on police cars...destroying properties, by bashing in windows...during a so called march...I mean, it just didn't happen, near where I lived...and when I hear it and watch it now, it is shocking to me.

We as kids, just didn't conceive of it, and neither did my son's friends...or the kids I taught in Sunday School or youth group.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Around the year 430, the Romans under Emperor Theodosius published a legal code; one of the provisions was a rant against young students roaming in the streets drunk, damaging public property, and that the penalty, if caught and convicted, was banishment from the city.

I could provide the exact statute number and possibly a translation from the Latin.

In any case, point being that how to educate and raise children has been a problem across the human race since the year one.
Yes, thank you, as more and more people are posting this particular subject, I'm beginning to understand, and yes, some have touched base on this, I guess, all I can say is, we must have lived a sheltered life, b/c when I get together with old friends from school, they have the same reaction as I do about this.

But, as you and many others have said here, it's nothing knew...

When I see it on the news, it would be wise, if I remember that there are a lot of good kids in this country, and the kids their showing on the news certainly doesn't represent the majority....even I know that, but need to remember it...

Sorry I came across like I didn't believe there were any good kids in the world...

Many thanks.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:56 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Is this post & thread about KIDS or college students! Because your post started s rant about college students, but the title says kids? College students are NOT kids anymore???
College kids certainly ARE kids....proven by multiple studies of their brains, esp the prefrontal cortex which is not fully developed until AGE 25. It is the part of the brain the deals with cause & affect..."if I guzzle booze thru a long tube, this will be a fun thing" type thinking. OR "if I drive my car really fast, w/o a darn seatbelt and text my friends, it will be fine" thinking. Whdn I look back at my 20s, I am amazed that I made it out alive.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:59 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
^^
this, yes, I realize that, not saying it didn't happen before, however, seeing it now on social media, does anger me, it isn't right to do to a child...along with Kimmel's request to prank kids telling them that "we ate all your Halloween Candy" to not only see what a negative reaction one gets out of it, but also, film it...that is down right mean...and wrong.
But it is yet another example of how things haven't changed. There have always been good kids and bad kids who were destructive. There have always been parents who pranked their kids. The only difference is that with social media, the 24 hour news cycle, and everyone having a camera in their pocket, we see all of it more than we once did. It doesn't mean that it is happening more, just that we are actually made aware of it more.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:05 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Quote:
yupp, and we never learn from history, we keep making the same mistakes over and over and over again....
your absolutely right....
Correct.

Your initial premise "what is wrong with kids today" is bogus. It isn't as if this is some new phenomenon with "kids today." It is something that people have done for generations. And I suppose we don't learn from history, so it will keep happening.

I'm only taking issue with your premise. I'm in complete agreement about how the behavior is unacceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting