Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:13 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymee View Post
I can't stand the things, yet without talking to me my husband when he was out with our daughter got a mouse and everything needed to take care of it. My husband and our 12 year old daughter went out and stopped at a pet shop and came home with a mouse! Our daughter is really excited but I am not at all as I am sure you can tell.

Call me sexist but I wouldn't have a problem with her being stereotypically adverse to it. When I talked to my husband and he just says it really didn't cost much and our daughter wanted one.

It's setup in her room but just having it in the house bothers me!
I've read your other posts to this thread, and here are my reactions:

First of all, obviously, it's best if both parents are on the same page about pets. Did he know you had such a strong aversion? Is it actual fear, or simple distaste? If it's just distaste, I think you need to suck it up and let her enjoy her pet. If it's fear - real, deep-seated fear - and he knew that, this discussion probably belongs in a different forum.

Second, I'm not sure why you are okay with your daughter growing up with a fear of mice. I have kept and raised pet mice. They're cute. I have also shown little mercy when trying to rid a house of wild mice. They are cute, too, but not when they get in your pantry.

Third. Is this her first pet? If it is, I don't blame her for being excited. I would have been, too, at that age. Most kids want a pet at some point.

Fourth. A mouse wouldn't be my first choice, in terms of a "pocket pet." That would be a rat. Domestic rats are smart, clean (unless their owners let their cages get nasty), and capable of actually bonding with their people. They can learn their names, they can learn to do little tricks, and they really are wonderful pets, especially for people with limited space. I used to work at a pet store, and when people came in looking for a hamster for their kid, I almost always suggested that they consider a rat, instead. Some did. None were ever sorry, and several thanked me when they came back for supplies later. But if you are freaking out over a mouse, well...nevermind.

Fifth. I feel sorry for the mouse. It is probably lonely. Mice are not solitary animals, and the best way to keep them if you don't want to breed them is in small, all-female groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 01:47 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Guinea pigs are more fun. They enjoy being held and petted, seem to understand that the caged life is an easy life, and have very interesting personalities. They can also learn to poop in a cup.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
My worst nightmare. My daughter wants a hamster. No way!

Old 04-06-2018, 02:34 PM

723 posts, read 570,969 times
I think OP should encourage her daughter's interest in her new pet. The young girl will learn to respect and protect such a fragile life. She will learn compassion for another living creature.

All of Nature's creatures have a place on this earth and deserve a place in our hearts.

This is so not a big deal. I suggest OP might benefit from therapy.

Last edited by OHNot4Me; 04-06-2018 at 03:42 PM..

Old 04-06-2018, 04:08 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
I can't stand the things, yet without talking to me my husband when he was out with our daughter got a mouse and everything needed to take care of it. My husband and our 12 year old daughter went out and stopped at a pet shop and came home with a mouse! Our daughter is really excited but I am not at all as I am sure you can tell.

Call me sexist but I wouldn't have a problem with her being stereotypically adverse to it. When I talked to my husband and he just says it really didn't cost much and our daughter wanted one.

It'll be dead in less than 1 year. My Mother let us have a hooded rat (Her name was Phyllis) and she was totally gentle. Never bit once. Guinea pigs, cats (One had kittens) and dogs and budgies....

This teaches children that this "Creature" is a living creature and requires care and feeding. That to "Forget" means they suffer....I think she'll learn a lot from this.

BTW the only time my Mother went up the wall on me was when I had snakes in my room...That was a huge "No way they are staying" (She had a major fear of them) I never pushed the issue.

Last edited by Disgustedman; 04-06-2018 at 04:19 PM..

Old 04-06-2018, 04:30 PM

209 posts, read 417,508 times
Like others have said: it won't live long. OTOH, count your blessings. She could have come home with an iguana! ��

Old 04-06-2018, 07:10 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
One of my favorite memories is of my pet mouse Snowball that my dad got me when I was 5. She was a treasured pet, (I once forgot to take her out of my shirt pocket and she spent the night with me - I found her in the morning when I woke up) she went every where with me when, riding on my shoulder. I loved that mouse.

My mom did not enjoy pets( and certainly hated mice), but I am sure glad she put up with it for my sake....

Poor little Snowball only lasted a couple years (our dog munched on her one day).... but she was a dear little pet and, my first one....
Omg that was a great story...it made me spit out my coffee! To the OP just suck it up... I mean literally with a vacuum...

Old 04-06-2018, 09:04 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
I get your horror...I hate mice. But kids need pets. They need something to care for and care about. A pocket pet is the easiest way to go. I had a Guinea pig when I was 9 & I loved her dearly.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:00 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:

Is it a little white one? If so, not much different than a hamster, IMO. Only not as cute. But me? I'd never have a mouse as a pet!

Old 04-07-2018, 02:08 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Is it a little white one? If so, not much different than a hamster, IMO. Only not as cute. But me? I'd never have a mouse as a pet!
Just for the record, domestic mice, the kind sold in pet stores, come in lots of colors. Some even have dark colored "points" like a Siamese cat. There are also different coat types.

Here are some pictures and descriptions. They are all cute, but I think the Satins are especially pretty.

All About Mice » Types & Varieties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting