Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,004 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this should be in philosophy or even psychology but I figured there were plenty mothers here who could help answer this question.

As we all know a mother's love for her children can be unmatched and will do anything for her children. However I have been working with a woman, 28, three children that I have learned has some horrible views. She has said some very racist and antisemitic things and has even showed off a small swastika tattoo she has on her upper arm.

It's very uncomfortable to say the least and we have told her as such and she hasn't recently and she is nice at least upfront. She does talk quite a bit about her children, how much she loves them, how they are doing etc.

It got me thinking though, clearly she has very awful horrible views that can be passed on to her children do you think even a full on nazi mom can be very loving and nurturing to her children? Same with say a woman that was some crazy dictator/tyrant, that would make guys like Hitler or Stalin very proud, think she could still be a good mother as far as her children are concerned?

Old 04-27-2018, 03:56 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
In the sense that she probably sees her children as an extension of herself, yes. She could love and care for them and still have some bad viewpoints in general.

Whether she can be called a "good mother" would depend on if she passes on her views of hatred to those children.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:11 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
There are mothers who are outwardly a "good" person but rotten mothers privately. Maybe its half/half that the kids come out okay.

With the mother in your OP, she *could* be instilling these bad thoughts, but otherwise, loving and taking care of her kids would definitely be possible. I only wonder once the kid(s) start thinking for themselves and start to push back, how she'd react-- that's definitely going to answer your questions.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:21 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
Of course a woman can have horrible views and still be loving and caring towards her kids. Or the opposite. Wonderfully caring and philanthropic men or women can be violent and horrible to their spouses or kids. No one is just one-dimensional, and some people can be very split in terms of how they treat or think about others.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:14 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Yes, bank robbers and con artists are capable of being loving and nurturing parents.

If parents have world views that don't comply with the politically correct, they can still be nurturing pardnts, the kids might or might not learn the parent's bigotry. Maybe they will rebel or figure it out on their own.

A paren't who hates dogs and is afraid of dogs can be a nurturing parent and their children might grow up afraid of dogs, or they might grow up to have three pet dogs of their own. A parent's beliefs aren't downloaded into a child's head like a non-adjustable computer program, perfect copy.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:31 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
It probably matters more how well the "bad" parent teaches their kids how to think independently, rather than how blatantly they express their own views. Remembering back to one of my parents....very bigoted and biased person. We weren't coached or forced to think the same way and were not punished for having a different view. Also, the other parent was a very good balance....didn't share the same biases. In fact I would say we "learned" the opposite, having witnessed bias or some outlier views that didn't seem justified. Sort of an unintended "teach by example" result.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-29-2018 at 12:41 PM..

Old 04-29-2018, 12:37 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxo View Post
I apologize if this should be in philosophy or even psychology but I figured there were plenty mothers here who could help answer this question.

As we all know a mother's love for her children can be unmatched and will do anything for her children. However I have been working with a woman, 28, three children that I have learned has some horrible views. She has said some very racist and antisemitic things and has even showed off a small swastika tattoo she has on her upper arm.

It's very uncomfortable to say the least and we have told her as such and she hasn't recently and she is nice at least upfront. She does talk quite a bit about her children, how much she loves them, how they are doing etc.

It got me thinking though, clearly she has very awful horrible views that can be passed on to her children do you think even a full on nazi mom can be very loving and nurturing to her children? Same with say a woman that was some crazy dictator/tyrant, that would make guys like Hitler or Stalin very proud, think she could still be a good mother as far as her children are concerned?

Probably...as the opposite is definitely true....

Old 04-29-2018, 02:28 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Like others said, the answer is yes.

But I don't really care about that. That woman should not be a part of society. Frankly, I'm not sure how you didn't tear her apart. I am positive I would not be able to keep control of myself if someone were a blatant racist and especially if they showed of a swastika tattoo. What's wrong with you OP? Honestly, I don't understand how people can let this type of stuff go.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:21 PM

82 posts, read 78,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Like others said, the answer is yes.

But I don't really care about that. That woman should not be a part of society. Frankly, I'm not sure how you didn't tear her apart. I am positive I would not be able to keep control of myself if someone were a blatant racist and especially if they showed of a swastika tattoo. What's wrong with you OP? Honestly, I don't understand how people can let this type of stuff go.
Wow... I remember the good old days. Before the thought police took over. Back when we penalized people for their actions, not their thoughts.

"Not be a part of society?" "Tear her apart?" When civilized adults encounter those with beliefs they object to, they usually ignore those people and don't associate with them.

It's all fun until a small group of people like yourself decides that _your_ views are the politically incorrect thoughts de jour. Then the mob comes to tear you apart. These low information SJWs are out of control.

For the record, I'm not defending the views of the person described. I'm only pointing out that punishing or physically attacking someone who has done nothing wrong simply because of their beliefs (however objectionable) is far worse than anything that person may/may not think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting