Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 09:13 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
She may need to be evaluated by a mental health professional. What you’re describing sounds like the manic phase of bipolar disorder, and bipolar disorder generally first manifests in the teen years.

No, she's just on the cutting-edge of what the next generation will be like. YouTube, cell phones and social media websites have existed all their lives. All those before, had other moderating influences for at least their first years. Watch the 1960 movie, "The Time Machine" and see the opening scenes of the young Eloi people. This is very similar to what our youth has come to be, because of their total immersion in the unreal, electronic world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 09:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Common symptoms of mania/hypomania from this website are listed below. (I've bolded the ones that can be reasonably inferred from the OP's original post. )

"Common signs and symptoms of mania include:

Feeling unusually “high” and optimistic OR extremely irritable
Unrealistic, grandiose beliefs about one’s abilities or powers
Sleeping very little, but feeling extremely energetic
Talking so rapidly that others can’t keep up
Racing thoughts; jumping quickly from one idea to the next
Highly distractible, unable to concentrate

Impaired judgment and impulsiveness
Acting recklessly without thinking about the consequences
Delusions and hallucinations (in severe cases)

Hypomania symptoms:

Hypomania is a less severe form of mania. In a hypomanic state, you’ll likely feel euphoric, energetic, and productive, but will still be able to carry on with your day-to-day life without losing touch with reality. To others, it may seem as if you’re merely in an unusually good mood. However, hypomania can result in bad decisions that harm your relationships, career, and reputation. In addition, hypomania often escalates to full-blown mania or is followed by a major depressive episode."

Talking about becoming President one day is ambition. Saying that the people of the US are going to revise the Constitution so a 16 year old can be elected President before she's 32 (because she's just so brilliant and marvelous!), or that she's going to invent teleportation (despite no training in physics) is something else.
If the OP's daughter is hypomanic, she may not be ABLE to concentrate long enough to do her homework, and no amount of discipline will help (any more than it would help a child walk on a broken leg). Please, OP, take this seriously and get her evaluated!
Good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
If she really thinks the American people are going to change the Constitution so she can become president in ten years, she is clearly delusonal a d mentally ill and needs to see a psychologist as soon as possible, not doing homework is the least of her problems.
I agree.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:54 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2u View Post
My daughter is 16 and stopped doing school work this year. She instead writes essays about how she's going to become the president, famous, etc. and lots of other topics not related to the things the teacher wants her to do. She also gets easily distracted in class. I thought maybe she was anxious about the school work but she knows she's smart and says it all the time she's smarter than everyone. Her teachers say she is always laughing and smiling. At home she sometimes has mood swings like all teens, otherwise she is also laughing and smiling all the time. In fact this summer she talked about her idea to invent teleportation and some other innovative technologies. She said all of America will change the constitution so she could become president in 10 years. I tell her it's great that she's so ambitious but she won't reach those goals unless she does her school work. She is bright and can talk about many different topics at once. Yet is refusing to do school work.
Eh.. you posted 1st time over 24 hours ago but haven't responded to 3 pages of advice? Either it's a non issue or you are ignoring some really good advice here.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:51 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2u View Post
My daughter is 16 and stopped doing school work this year. She instead writes essays about how she's going to become the president, famous, etc. and lots of other topics not related to the things the teacher wants her to do. She also gets easily distracted in class. I thought maybe she was anxious about the school work but she knows she's smart and says it all the time she's smarter than everyone. Her teachers say she is always laughing and smiling. At home she sometimes has mood swings like all teens, otherwise she is also laughing and smiling all the time. In fact this summer she talked about her idea to invent teleportation and some other innovative technologies. She said all of America will change the constitution so she could become president in 10 years. I tell her it's great that she's so ambitious but she won't reach those goals unless she does her school work. She is bright and can talk about many different topics at once. Yet is refusing to do school work.
There are such things as gradeless schools, but the movement is still quite small, and at any rate she needs to do something, even if not schoolwork. Independent study, maybe?

Old 05-05-2018, 08:18 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,610 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
If she really thinks the American people are going to change the Constitution so she can become president in ten years, she is clearly delusonal a d mentally ill and needs to see a psychologist as soon as possible, not doing homework is the least of her problems.
That. Exactly that.

I don't understand why you are focusing on the very very minor point, she's stopped doing homework.

She's exhibiting some extremely concerning symptoms pointing to a variety of mental illnesses, most notably, as stated up thread, bipolar disorder.

I can understand a parent being in denial, but it's very odd to me that someone in the school system hasn't noticed the glaring red flags of mental illness.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:03 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can understand a parent being in denial, but it's very odd to me that someone in the school system hasn't noticed the glaring red flags of mental illness.
I'm not, because in real life the flags probably aren't as red and glaring. The concerning incidents are separated in time (not compressed together as they are int he OP's post), and most people aren't nearly as clued in to the symptoms of mania as they are to the symptoms of depression (which occurs more often, and which we therefore spend a lot more time talking about), so they're less likely to see it for what it is. Happy all the time? What's wrong with that? Distractibble? Well, that describes lots of kids; she's probably just bored. Not completing her homework, or handing in assignments that have nothing to do with the assigned project? Well, many teens are lazy slackers or smartasses; it's just a developmental phase. Ect., etc. They're just not connecting all the dots.

Heck, look at how many people responding to the OP's post never raised the possibility of this being something more than normal teen misbehavior, or who have summarily dismissed the possibility of serious mental illness after it was raised.

I hope this young lady doesn't have a serious mental illness, but for her sake the possibility needs to be taken seriously. She needs an evaluation by someone with training in adolescent mental health ASAP.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:02 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
She sounds like my nephew. He also talked about teleportation and other nonsensical things at that age that he picked up from TV, believing they were true. My sister in law couldn't see the problems, she always talked about how he also was so happy and handsome.

He is now 34, still living at home, doesn't want to work a regular job or go to college, doesn't drive, but he is writing a Hollywood script and also going to go work for a online gaming company. He's never had friends or a romantic relationship.

I wish he would've been assessed by a mental health professional. Maybe some of his issues could have been averted.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:03 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,646,935 times
Why does the constitution have to be changed for her to become president?

Sounds like she has mental health issues.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:07 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
My best friend is bipolar. Red flags all over your post, OP. Get her evaluated by a professional.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:15 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Why does the constitution have to be changed for her to become president?

Sounds like she has mental health issues.
It would have to be changed if she's to be elected president in the next 10 years (as that would make her 26 at the oldest, and the Constitution sets a minimum age for eligibility of 35).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting