Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 08:17 PM

126 posts, read 136,362 times

Advertisements

My daughter's dr is in his 60's with 2 kids under 2. I was SHOCKED when i read an article about him that mentioned this. I knew he had older children in their 30's but i had no idea he had babies. His wife is another dr he works with who is 39/40. It came up at one of her more recent appointments and he joked saying oh i just love kids so much and I always wanted to be an old man chasing after them.

Goes back to my theory that rich people having kids older is different than the average joe having them because the more money you have the more help you can hire. But even with all that money having 2 kids under 2 or 3 or 4 is not easy for anyone at any age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 10:02 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,309,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
. But even with all that money having 2 kids under 2 or 3 or 4 is not easy for anyone at any age.
The kids will get older, though, and it will get easier.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:18 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,374,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I wouldn't say things get "easier". Just a new set of challenges. Case in point, I don't have any in diapers and taking apart lamps anymore, but I do have a soon to be 12 year old transitioning to teen years. I wouldn't call any stage of parenting truly easy, only that you get more adept at it as you go along.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:16 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,692,422 times
I was just talking to a friend about this. Parenting is physically easier when the kids are over 3 or 4. But mentally? Believe the adage, “little children, little problems.” Their teen years are emotionally difficult... and I have really good kids who don’t get into trouble. But going along with their plans and letting them fly while counting on their undeveloped prefrontal cortexes to keep them safe... oh man. Some days I’d really like to trade that in for the physically demanding days of toddlerhood. And I know I’ve got it easy. They dont drink or smoke or do anything particularly worrisome. Some of my friends have teens with issues. It’s scary.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:48 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,069,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I wouldn't say things get "easier". Just a new set of challenges. Case in point, I don't have any in diapers and taking apart lamps anymore, but I do have a soon to be 12 year old transitioning to teen years. I wouldn't call any stage of parenting truly easy, only that you get more adept at it as you go along.
It's logistically easier, not emotionally. But for the past couple of years, I've been able to leave my almost 14 year old son home, come and go as I need. Even when I'm home, when we aren't directly interacting, I'm not watching and taking care of him. He can fend for himself when needed and do plenty around the house as well, to help keep things running smoothly.

It's true that I worry that the things that happen and the decisions I make are often more directly connected with things that could truly impact his future, like deciding which high school he'll attend and what classes he'll take, which will directly affect where he goes to college. So I worry a lot more. But it's not the same amount of work as chasing after a toddler or preschooler and having to keep them occupied for just about every waking hour.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:18 PM

Default re

Quote:
why are you so pro older women giving birth?

Old 05-12-2018, 02:56 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,544,022 times
lol, so I guess a women can have a kid whenever she wants but for this gal, the thought of having to deal with a 15 year old teenager at the time I want to be retiring is enough to make me slit my throat.

I have a good friend of mine who is dealing with this and it ain't pretty. he waited until 52 to have his first and now he's realizing he'll be working the rest of his life.

My youngest just graduated from college and I'm dancing on the ceiling with happiness.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
why are you so pro older women giving birth?
Oh, dearie me. Someone is offended.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:14 PM

Default re

Quote:
Oh, dearie me. Someone is offended.
Well it just seems like anytime someone has anything negative to say about it you come back with all these reasons on why it's great.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Well it just seems like anytime someone has anything negative to say about it you come back with all these reasons on why it's great.
So?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting