Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2018, 09:34 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
Well it just seems like anytime someone has anything negative to say about it you come back with all these reasons on why it's great.
And why are you so anti? No one is forcing you to have a child at 50, but other people are allowed to make their own choice and they are even allowed to not be miserable just because they make a different choice than the one you think is ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 10:12 AM

126 posts, read 137,067 times
a woman having a kid at 50 is ridiculous. If you cant make it happen before that you shouldnt be having one. Kind of like your days of wearing clothing meant for a 21 year old are over as well.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:30 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Tammy Duckworth used IVF to conceive her first child when she was 47, after experiencing fertility issues likely related to the injuries she received while fighting in Iraq. She used it again, with remaining embryos for this child. I personally find her age somewhat irrelevant, although it does of course contribute to all that she's been able to accomplish in her life up until now - it would be tough to fit all that in without having lived 50 years so far.

As someone who had my only child at 42, I think like pretty much everything in life, there are pros and cons about having children later in life. I certainly had less energy at 42 (and now in my 50s with a young teen) than I did in my 20s and 30s. On the other hand, I'm establishing in my career and able to earn enough to support myself and my son as a single mom while working a very flexible schedule, something I could not have done a decade or two ago.

But I think women having children in their late 40s and into their 50s will remain a statistical blip and not become commonplace. It almost always requires expensive fertility treatment (sometimes but often not paid for via insurance) and many people who know they want kids have them earlier. However, for those who want and are in a position to have children later in life, I'm glad that it's an option.

I imagine it's more likely Tammy Duckworth had to use IVF to conceive at 47 because of her advanced age, than anything that happened to her in Iraq.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:56 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And why are you so anti? No one is forcing you to have a child at 50, but other people are allowed to make their own choice and they are even allowed to not be miserable just because they make a different choice than the one you think is ok.
I agree. Nobody else has to feel miserable about their life choices, just because someone else thinks they should. We all get to make our own choices in life, and not everyone is going to agree with those choices.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
a woman having a kid at 50 is ridiculous. If you cant make it happen before that you shouldnt be having one. Kind of like your days of wearing clothing meant for a 21 year old are over as well.
What's interesting to me is you created this account and have only posted on this one thread, making all these comments (with the exception of a couple of posts elsewhere). Just something I noticed. What's up with that?

If you don't want to have kids after age 50, then don't do it. Nobody is forcing you to. KWIM?

Old 05-13-2018, 01:46 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times
I'm 66 now and DAMN GLAD I'm not raising a teenager!!!

Old 05-13-2018, 01:47 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Well, it's sure a good thing for all the rest of us that you get to make the rules, isn't it?

Old 05-13-2018, 03:30 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I agree. Nobody else has to feel miserable about their life choices, just because someone else thinks they should. We all get to make our own choices in life, and not everyone is going to agree with those choices.
As long as I don't have to PAY for your choices.

I'm cool with paying to help with social problems about which no one had any choice. But when it comes to something that is your CHOICE, fork over your own dough. (In an earlier post I brought up facts about the much higher possibility of a child from older parents being born with autism.)

Sadly, lots of people's choices, including the choice to have a child an an older age, often cost the rest of us a lot of money.

I just watched the HBO documentary "A Dangerous Son", and was struck by how all of the mothers demanded all kinds of public help, ranging from police to social workers to psychiatrists to prescription drugs to special schools. And one of them was pregnant again.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I don't know why you think it's ridiculous, and your analogy about the clothes blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
As long as I don't have to PAY for your choices.

I'm cool with paying to help with social problems about which no one had any choice. But when it comes to something that is your CHOICE, fork over your own dough. (In an earlier post I brought up facts about the much higher possibility of a child from older parents being born with autism.)

Sadly, lots of people's choices, including the choice to have a child an an older age, often cost the rest of us a lot of money.

I just watched the HBO documentary "A Dangerous Son", and was struck by how all of the mothers demanded all kinds of public help, ranging from police to social workers to psychiatrists to prescription drugs to special schools. And one of them was pregnant again.
It has been brought up earlier in the thread that younger moms tend to have higher rates of some birth defects. No one knows just what causes autism. Most children of older parents do not have autism. There is nothing in "A Dangerous Son" about older parental age that I could find.

In general, older parents are more financially stable, have better health insurance, and use fewer public services.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

You're very wrong. Younger parents are statistically far, far more likely to use social services (welfare, etc) than older mothers or older parents. Older moms usually have college degrees, careers and money to raise their child. It's usually young or teen moms who are more likely to use social services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting