Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 12:06 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times

Advertisements

How nice that people think they get to decide the one and only path that women are allowed to follow.

If you choose to not have a child later in life, then don't, no one is making you. Keep your nose out of other women's lives, they are none of your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 12:09 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitcasemom View Post
I think this is where our generation has gone wrong. The ideal age to have children is 20-30. anything above that is not a good idea. and not safe or healthy.
Oh good God! Not safe or healthy? Plenty of women have great pregnancies and perfectly healthy children in their thirties and beyond, including me. Both of my husband's grandmothers had babies in their forties, and one of my grandmothers did. It's a sign of overall health and longevity when a woman can conceive and give birth, especially in the absence of fertility support, in the forties and beyond. BTW, all three of those women lived well into their nineties.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-05-2018 at 12:26 PM..

Old 05-05-2018, 12:20 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDad85 View Post
I mean, guys have been having kids in their 50s for forever now. It only seems fair that women should too, if science has made it safe! I understand a woman's desire to progress in her career before starting a family.
This. Not only that, it's so freaking expensive to live nowadays that it's hardly surprising that people can't afford to raise kids until they're nearly in the grave. People will be judged for anything, apparently. It takes time, sometimes decades to become financially stable. If people have children before then, they are judged for not having enough money to raise them properly. If they wait until they are much older, they are judged for being too old to raise them properly

Old 05-05-2018, 12:35 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
I'd rather see a happily married 50 year old woman have a child than some irresponsible 14 year old/teen- who no doubt would be dependant on the government/state/taxpayers to pay for her goof.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh good God! Not safe or healthy? Plenty of women have great pregnancies and perfectly healthy children in their thirties and beyond, including me. Both of my husband's grandmothers had babies in their forties, and one of my grandmothers did. It's a sign of overall health and longevity when a woman can conceive and give birth, especially in the absence of fertility support, in the forties and beyond. BTW, all three of those women lived well into their nineties.
Both of my grandmothers had all three of their kids in their 30s, ending in their later 30s. This was over 100 years ago for my paternal grand, who actually had her own dressmaker's business before she married. My maternal grand started close to 100 years ago. She worked on the family farm.

There is some research that women who conceive naturally in their 40s are more likely to live longer. Of course, my MIL stopped at 29 and lived to be 98!

Old 05-05-2018, 01:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
"One in 100 women will start to experience the frustrating symptoms of early menopause before they turn 40."

5 Reasons Why Some Women Go Through Early Menopause - Health

In my opinion 1 and 100 is a lot of women! If you wait to have kids till you're in your 40's it might not be possible.
You are correct, but there's nothing in that link about early menopause being more common now than in years past.

Ms. Duckworth's body was obviously able to support two pregnancies, one in her 40s, and this one at 50. I'm happy for her.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:05 PM

4,762 posts, read 792,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I’m 40 and my kids are teenagers. I could not imagine starting with a new baby now. My main concern with a 50-year-old having a baby is that they have a decent chance of not being around for their child’s high school or college graduation, wedding, etc. Yes, I realize I could die tomorrow and not see my kids graduate, but the chances are much higher for someone nearing 70.
This is, to me, the most important point of all, which I'm surprised nobody else has raised in this discussion.

I was born in 1987, and my mother conceived me naturally at the age of 44. I was born a month before her 45th birthday; I am the youngest of 6 children. My nearest sibling (by age) was born in 1970, 17 years before me, and my mother miscarried 4 times in between her birth and mine. My oldest sister, my mother's first child, was born in 1962, 25 years before me. (My father was 49 when I was born.)

Thankfully, my parents were able to attend my high school and college graduations, but it wasn't without a great deal of hardship, physically, for both of them. They now live in a retirement community in Florida, and my mother is not capable of getting on a plane. If I should ever get married, I have to accept the fact that my mother will not be able to attend unless I get married in Florida within a short drive of her residence. If I were to have children after that, I have to accept that the only way my children will ever be able to see their grandparents is if I take them to Florida; it will never even once be the other way around.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:01 PM

126 posts, read 137,005 times
saying a woman shouldnt have kids beyond 30 is a little ridiculous. Beyond 42 is where it becomes questionable to me

Old 05-05-2018, 03:53 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
This is, to me, the most important point of all, which I'm surprised nobody else has raised in this discussion.

I was born in 1987, and my mother conceived me naturally at the age of 44. I was born a month before her 45th birthday; I am the youngest of 6 children. My nearest sibling (by age) was born in 1970, 17 years before me, and my mother miscarried 4 times in between her birth and mine. My oldest sister, my mother's first child, was born in 1962, 25 years before me. (My father was 49 when I was born.)

Thankfully, my parents were able to attend my high school and college graduations, but it wasn't without a great deal of hardship, physically, for both of them. They now live in a retirement community in Florida, and my mother is not capable of getting on a plane. If I should ever get married, I have to accept the fact that my mother will not be able to attend unless I get married in Florida within a short drive of her residence. If I were to have children after that, I have to accept that the only way my children will ever be able to see their grandparents is if I take them to Florida; it will never even once be the other way around.
This is a very good post and perspective.
It serves to remind us that with anything, there are trade offs and concessions.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:03 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
It's ridiculous, for many reasons. One: She will be a senior citizen when her kid graduates high school. Will probably not get to be a grandma.

Nature has designed women to be most fertile as teens up to twenties.

People are stretching it to try to have kids in their thirties.

If you need IVF, you are basically going against nature (which I understand some people insist upon doing).

Nature is smartest, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting