Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:52 AM

352 posts, read 324,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
After completing a short roundtrip to see my parents around Xmas time (on the plane for a little over 2 hours each way), we're making the same trip this evening and hoping for better results.

Our first trip saw mixed results (slept for 90% of first flight, screamed for over 50% of 2nd flight) and I'd like to see what advice experienced parents had for dealing with their own babies on the plane.

Our little one will be sitting on our lap for the flight but hates to sit on our lap in general and is typically very squirmy and loud when he's in an uncomfortable position.

Some things we'll be trying to make the flight easier...

-trying to keep him up during the afternoon so he avoids his 2nd nap and is more tired later on
-bottle feed him during the flight's ascension and descension
-Ipad with his favorite sing-a-longs downloaded
-Ibuprofen and Orajel before the flight (teething)

Thanks for all suggestions in advance!
13 months is a tough age because they're old enough to know what they want but not old enough to articulate it. We took a trip with ours right around her 1st birthday (born 9/11/15, trip taken 9/20/16) and I spent the majority of the flight just walking her up and down the aisle. Keeping her active the whole time is far more effective than screen time which is usually only effective when it's what the child truly wants.

Introducing new treats and toys is a great way to distract the LO on a flight too. Buy a few packs of mystery toys (they're hugely popular these days) and bring some special treats like candy and other things you normally wouldn't give him.

I suggest these because my wife and I have very different experiences with our daughter during solo travel time...my wife has constant tantrums and misbehavior and I literally never have a moment of discomfort in the car with her and I think it's because I do not ever allow screen time, I keep a pack of jelly beans (with Finding Dory on the box, so each bean color represents a specific character...Blue being Dory and Orange being Hank...for example) and I always have a toy that she hasn't played with before or in a very long time. Bribery and avoiding screen time have been the best strategies for a happy child on long drives and flights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 10:57 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Lots of good suggestions above. I'll add one:

Graciously accept help when offered. My daughters are now 10 and 7, and we've flown with them since they were infants. I somtimes make those flights without my husband. At every airport, people have offered o help at security, at the gate, and on the plane. When people offer to help, it reduces your stress level a great deal, so now I try and pay it forward when I see an adult traveling alone with kids.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:05 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
If you can, honestly I would buy another seat if you 13 month old is squirmy. It will make a much better flying experience for you.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:25 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Unless absolutely EVERY seat on that flight is sold, insist on bringing the car seat (without the base) with you onto the plane. Ask for an empty middle seat between you. Put the baby into the car seat, facing backwards if possible, and strap the car seat in with the seat belt. Keep him like this whenever possible - it's the safest place for him.

Do NOT EVER strap the baby in with him in front of you, with the seat belt around you both. If there is turbulence, you will crush the baby. If you cannot finagle him a seat, with a car seat in it, put him in a securely fastened front carrier strapped to you, with your seatbelt around your hips only. That way, if there's turbulence, he doesn't smash his head on the ceiling, and he doesn't get crushed by you. If there is turbulence, you will NOT be able to hold onto him, but if he's strapped onto you, he's not going anywhere.

Some babies become hyperactive and fussy with Benadryl. Most fall asleep. Okay to try it (5ml for every 22 lbs every 4-6 hours), but would have been smarter to try it out beforehand.

Have him drink a bottle on takeoff and descent, for the swallowing to help pop his ears.

Don't worry about the other passengers. Maybe you'll be lucky and wind up next to someone who likes to entertain babies.

Lots of luck! Hope it's a short flight.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
After completing a short roundtrip to see my parents around Xmas time (on the plane for a little over 2 hours each way), we're making the same trip this evening and hoping for better results.

Our first trip saw mixed results (slept for 90% of first flight, screamed for over 50% of 2nd flight) and I'd like to see what advice experienced parents had for dealing with their own babies on the plane.

Our little one will be sitting on our lap for the flight but hates to sit on our lap in general and is typically very squirmy and loud when he's in an uncomfortable position.

-trying to keep him up during the afternoon so he avoids his 2nd nap and is more tired later on

My first response when I saw this thread headline was "Don't do it". But that's a joke, we traveled with small kids, starting when the first one was about 6 months.

There's no predictablility to this. You don't know what he'll do or how he'll react to things.

I echo the others who say don't avoid the nap thinking he'll sleep. Well rested is better.
Bottle feeding and the I-pad are good ideas.
No way with the meds. Ibuprofen is a pain/feve med. Some kids do sleep after being given a dose because it makes them more comfortable if they have pain or a fever. It's not a sleeping med. (See below) Orajel is not recommended except under a doctor's supervision. If he's teething, try a chew toy instead.
https://www.parenting.com/blogs/show...ing-medication

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I notice the Benadryl package now says, "do not use to make children sleepy."

I had a friend who, many years ago, relied on paregoric. Don't think that is available any more.
Thank goodness! I worked a pediatric phone line. We actively recommended NOT using Benadryl as it can depress respirations and cause other side effects.
http://seattlemamadoc.seattlechildre...for-the-plane/

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Unless absolutely EVERY seat on that flight is sold, insist on bringing the car seat (without the base) with you onto the plane. Ask for an empty middle seat between you. Put the baby into the car seat, facing backwards if possible, and strap the car seat in with the seat belt. Keep him like this whenever possible - it's the safest place for him.

Do NOT EVER strap the baby in with him in front of you, with the seat belt around you both. If there is turbulence, you will crush the baby. If you cannot finagle him a seat, with a car seat in it, put him in a securely fastened front carrier strapped to you, with your seatbelt around your hips only. That way, if there's turbulence, he doesn't smash his head on the ceiling, and he doesn't get crushed by you. If there is turbulence, you will NOT be able to hold onto him, but if he's strapped onto you, he's not going anywhere.

Some babies become hyperactive and fussy with Benadryl. Most fall asleep. Okay to try it (5ml for every 22 lbs every 4-6 hours), but would have been smarter to try it out beforehand.

Have him drink a bottle on takeoff and descent, for the swallowing to help pop his ears.

Don't worry about the other passengers. Maybe you'll be lucky and wind up next to someone who likes to entertain babies.

Lots of luck! Hope it's a short flight.
No! Good grief, every 4 to 6 hours no less? I'll repost this link: http://seattlemamadoc.seattlechildre...for-the-plane/

Old 05-10-2018, 12:00 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Our pediatrician was the one to recommend Benadryl...she said it was fine once in a. While just not every day or week. She said those guidelines were established because some people started doing a nightly Benadryl cocktail.

That said we never had to use Benadryl for that purpose on a flight (or at lead I didn’t, can’t say 100% that my husband never did as we fly separately quite a bit). We did however use it for a 14 hour drive and it worked like a charm.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:10 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
Quote:

We do cross country flights once a year, and what we have learned (AK to GA) is that one carry on bag is nothing but baby/kid stuff (we fly with three kids aged 2-7). Snacks. Games. Books. Electronics. Blanket.

We also fly red eyes. Sounds crazy, but it works. Our kids sleep most of the flight, but wife and I are exhausted once we land.

We also try and sit in the back of the plane. It is a little noiser, but that helps drown out our kids noise, though they are really good travelers. Our 2 year old is still breast fed, so the boob works wonders with the landing or taking off portion, though this year (June) he will be in his own seat.

My SIL just did the flight with her 3 month old, and she slept the whole flight. Your kid's age though is that challenging age. Old enough to where the screams or cries can be heard, but still has the potential to sleep.

Timing is the biggest factor for pleasant flying experience with kids IMO.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:14 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Board books, Mother Goose rhymes and nursery songs (with or without a book - just sing or talk to him), bouncing him on your knee in time to familiar songs, simple finger games, looking out the window, talking about what you see in the airport and on the plane (lots of "Look at that!!). While he may not be talking much yet, his receptive language will be at a much higher level, so engage him. Tell him ahead of time that you're going on an airplane to Grandma's house, and point out airplanes in the sky. Get a little toy airplane and fly it around, and let him play with it.

Little surprise toys and treats for the plane, as suggested, are great. Definitely a bottle when taking off and landing, to keep his ears from hurting. Bring his Teddy bear or other favorite small stuffed animal, and make a big deal about Teddy going on an airplane. Strap Teddy in. Have Teddy look out the window. Give Teddy "treats" (make-believe). Have a Teddy bear picnic in your lap.

Be upbeat as much as you can - babies pick up on adults' moods. Make it seem like you're really, really, excited and happy to be going on an AIRPLANE RIDE!! Whooey!!

Distraction is your friend at this age. Bon voyage!

Old 05-10-2018, 12:22 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Quote:

How wonderful for all the people around you to have to listen to kid's sing-a-longs.

I get that you're trying to keep your baby from screaming like he did before, but forcing the people around you to listen to kid's music is just as bad.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:36 PM

551 posts, read 1,574,280 times
All good suggestions- I will add- try to book a non-stop flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting