Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 07:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,749,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Maybe you don't know what "in so many words" mean but it would mean you said the exact same thing with less words. No you said something completely different, that the OP should extort her neighbor for her own personal gain. No one else except you suggested that.
No, people suggested mentioning that they noticed the kids were alone, making offhand references to "someone" calling CPS or the cops, and offering up the daughter's services, but not for free of course, because that wouldn't be fair to her.

That's saying what I said, but in a more roundabout way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 07:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
No, people suggested mentioning that they noticed the kids were alone, making offhand references to "someone" calling CPS or the cops, and offering up the daughters services, but not for free of course, because that wouldn't be fair to her.

I understand fine distinction are lost upon you, but offering something is not the same thing as demanding payment.

If someone comes up to your door and says, "I notice your lawn is a bit over grown, would you be interested in my mowing it for a fee" is very, very different than saying "If you don't pay more than double the going rate to mow your lawn I am going to report you to the home owners association". The first is an offer, the second is extortion. Clearly lost on you, but at this point it says more about you than anyone else.

How about this, we agree that you don't understand the difference. Thanks

Old 05-15-2018, 07:28 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,463 times
If you are absolutely sure that there is no one home with them, it would be negligent on your part not to call CPS. Leaving a 4 and 5-year-old home alone, even for two hours, is beyond comprehensible. What if one of them accidentally turns on the gas stove, or falls and hits their head, or decides to take a bath and drowns? All it takes is one time. Unbelievably irresponsible on the part of the parents. Call CPS asap.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
No, people suggested mentioning that they noticed the kids were alone, making offhand references to "someone" calling CPS or the cops, and offering up the daughter's services, but not for free of course, because that wouldn't be fair to her.

Quote:
I understand fine distinction are lost upon you, but offering something is not the same thing as demanding payment.

If someone comes up to your door and says, "I notice your lawn is a bit over grown, would you be interested in my mowing it for a fee" is very, very different than saying "If you don't pay more than double the going rate to mow your lawn I am going to report you to the home owners association". The first is an offer, the second is extortion. Clearly lost on you, but at this point it says more about you than anyone else.

How about this, we agree that you don't understand the difference. Thanks
Holy crap that level of condescension is impressive to say the least! lol

If you are married I pity your spouse. You left the part I bolded out of your attempt to ridicule me in to silence though.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
How can it be the worst advice when it's just a more blunt version of what a few posters have already suggested?
Because what you suggested is extortion and it's actually illegal. Hopefully you were just joking, though.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Holy crap that level of condescension is impressive to say the least! lol

If you are married I pity your spouse. You left the part I bolded out of your attempt to ridicule me in to silence though.
Ah, so since you can't understand basic logic you must pity my spouse. What you lack in originality, logic or basic morality you make up for in repetition.

You can try to the move the goal posts all you like (another logical fallacy so I am not going to hope for a miracle) but it doesn't change the fact you are the only one who suggested the OP commit a crime.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:46 PM

371 posts, read 287,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I really find that hard to believe. I've worked with kids for forever. 4 and 5 year old kids are simply too young to be talking on the phone; they probably can't even call a number, even with speed dial. And these kids have not reached any "age of reason" yet to be able to problem-solve should something come up.
They alternated talking to Grandma, Dad and Mom. To my knowledge, they answered the phone each time. If not, someone rushed home.

It's really not that difficult to imagine if you've been around children at all of this age. They have no problems answering a phone and many can also dial out.

Foster care is often a bad idea as they will be left alone even more inside an institutional setting which is often unable to handle so many children. Our receiving home was a mess. Kids traumatized much more. Again, weigh the risks. Children hardly ever follow their training, especially at that age. Easy peazy to get into the house. Parent's don't like it? That's what happens when you are not there supervising your kids, others may take up your load.

I know this from experience, again. I checked on the neighbor kids for a while until their older sister came back home and started babysitting. We also had two foster kids of our own at the time.

Quote:
What could possibly go wrong with a four and five year old home alone, locked in the house? /s
I am not sure what this means but if you've been around kids this age, I am sure some things come to mind eh?

Last edited by ItIsWritten.; 05-15-2018 at 11:57 PM..

Old 05-15-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I can tell you from experience, when I was a young kid I was left alone at the age of 7. My mom died and I guess my dad didn’t think it was a big deal but I can remember getting scared a lot. And, although I knew how to use the phone in case of emergency, it was not a great comfort. Very young kids should not be left alone. I would have to intervene somehow.
Spot On

Old 05-15-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I wonder how many of those who advocate that the OP mind his own business responded to the news of the abuse suffered by the Turpin and Hart children with "Why didn't someone do something?".
Exactly. Go visit unannounced. Find out what is happening yourself.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Ah, so since you can't understand basic logic you must pity my spouse. What you lack in originality, logic or basic morality you make up for in repetition.

You can try to the move the goal posts all you like (another logical fallacy so I am not going to hope for a miracle) but it doesn't change the fact you are the only one who suggested the OP commit a crime.
What your responses to me lack in substance they more than make up for in superciliousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting