Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 04:44 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times

Advertisements

I really can’t think of any instances where I’d say “no” to a field trip. If I was worried about safety or supervision, I’d volunteer to chaperone. I actually have chaperoned quite a few field trips and can honestly say that everyone from the bus drivers to the teachers to the other chaperones took the kids’ safety very seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 05:12 PM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Is this a private school? Hard to imagine a public school with that class size, not to mention one where all the students could afford a trip like that.
Yes, it’s an independent school and that’s our entire 8th grade.

They do some fundraising throughout the year for this trip. I believe the parent’s were responsible for paying $500 per student. All other field trips (in all grades) are included in tuition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I have no idea what type of class trips will come once my kids get to middle or high school but I'm sure there are lots of public schools where this could be a normal trip. I wouldn't be surprised if overseas trips were offered in our school district or the districts to the north of us.
Living just outside DC, I can attest that many public schools take a trip to DC around this time of year. They come from all over the country. A steady stream of school kids touring Mt. Vernon and DC during the spring months.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:59 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
My kids are in a public school and have a similar trip going on right now. It isn't a whole class or the whole school, but whoever wants to go and can pay.
the poster had something like "the eighth grade" and then mentioned that maybe one person might choose to stay home, which made it sound like it was the entire grade.

But my son's public charter school would never have a field trip that only an elite handful of students would be able to participate in due to finances. We've got about 70% free and reduced fee lunch families, so things like international field trips are just not something that exist.

There are some school related things involving travel once they get to high school, like student exchanges and a language club that fund raises to be able to plan a trip, but nothing that is planned by the school itself.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Yes, it’s an independent school and that’s our entire 8th grade.

They do some fundraising throughout the year for this trip. I believe the parent’s were responsible for paying $500 per student. All other field trips (in all grades) are included in tuition.

Living just outside DC, I can attest that many public schools take a trip to DC around this time of year. They come from all over the country. A steady stream of school kids touring Mt. Vernon and DC during the spring months.
thanks for the clarification! It makes sense that if a reasonable amount that can be earned by fundraising allows everyone to participate, it's a lot more equitable. And presumably to the extent that there are students who receive financial aid, they are still covered in terms of what their tuition pays for.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
the poster had something like "the eighth grade" and then mentioned that maybe one person might choose to stay home, which made it sound like it was the entire grade.

But my son's public charter school would never have a field trip that only an elite handful of students would be able to participate in due to finances. We've got about 70% free and reduced fee lunch families, so things like international field trips are just not something that exist.

There are some school related things involving travel once they get to high school, like student exchanges and a language club that fund raises to be able to plan a trip, but nothing that is planned by the school itself.
I takes place over the summer. Same with the Washington DC trip. A LOT of schools do this kind of thing. They aren't "field trips" in the traditional sense. They also do fundraising.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:08 PM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
thanks for the clarification! It makes sense that if a reasonable amount that can be earned by fundraising allows everyone to participate, it's a lot more equitable. And presumably to the extent that there are students who receive financial aid, they are still covered in terms of what their tuition pays for.
You’re welcome. And for the students who receive aid, the same percentage they receive on tuition is applied toward this trip, so those parents will pay less than $500.

And frankly, we’ve had some parents over the years who couldn’t pay the full amount they owed but their child still went on the trip. My school does not exclude any student for (financial reasons) who wants to go - the school will just absorb the cost if necessary.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:25 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Is it wrong to hold back a child from going on a class field trip for some reason other than illness?
Yes, I think it is wrong.

Quote:
What if it's an out of town, day trip to another city?
Still wrong.

Quote:
I think my biggest worry is lack of supervision being on an all day trip.
There will be adequate supervision for the number of students attending. There will be some parent volunteers but many school staff as well. Head counts are done before departures. I have attended every one of my disabled son’s field trips with him because his needs are above & beyond what the schools would be prepared for outside of the structure & routineof the school.

That has never been requested by the school & they staff for him anyway. He has never missed a field trip.

Quote:
I'm wondering if your child would be overly upset if he/ she had to miss the field trip.
Devastated, actually. I would do anything within my power to avoid doing that.

You would laugh if I were to tell you of all the little tricks I have used to monitor my kids on out of town trips. I believe there is an old thread lurking around here on CD about me, kids, gps tracking apps that would monitor the bus drivers speed, national weather service, Highway Patrol on the scanner & 500 miles of traffic cameras mapped out.

I don’t worry small time; I’m a professional. But nobody has missed a trip.

Quote:
I don't think buses are safe but my kid has always wanted to ride on them. I don't see seatbelts on them.
Nope, no seat belts & statistically still statistically safer than in your car. Buses retain kids in an accident very well. Remember your boarding the bus drill every year? It’s all hinging on the children accessing exits & getting off as quickly as possible. If you had 50 kids all hanging from their jammed seat belts; nobody is going to get out of that bus.

Quote:
I think it can be difficult for any adult to drive a bus when there are so many distractions from all the kids. I've never seen a quiet school bus.
That part is truly awful. I promise you it will be 10 times worse than you ever heard it when you were a kid. Many times I transport my son as well; he would not have an enjoyable day at all if it started & ended on a loud, crowded, smelly, bouncy bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
There is something to be said for trips that create bonding time between students, anyways. A class that feels more like a family (its possible, my kid's have them now) is way less likely to have trouble with bullying and other bad behaviors.
I think that social skills & the interaction that happens at school can be just as valuable as academics, honestly. A few of mine are naturally extroverted & socially adept. Others needed all the time they could get, just being a kid at school.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:53 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Yes, your child will probably be disappointed and upset. If you are that concerned about supervision, then chaperone. But honestly, you trust these people with your kids every day, so if you are that concerned about supervision, I question how you can trust them with your kid's well-being every other day of the school year. School buses are safer than cars. Should they have seat belts? Probably, but they are still safer than letting your child ride in a car. As a mom and a teacher, I think you need to loosen the reigns a little bit.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
You’re welcome. And for the students who receive aid, the same percentage they receive on tuition is applied toward this trip, so those parents will pay less than $500.

And frankly, we’ve had some parents over the years who couldn’t pay the full amount they owed but their child still went on the trip. My school does not exclude any student for (financial reasons) who wants to go - the school will just absorb the cost if necessary.
Sounds like a great school - very focused on the students, rather than the finances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting