Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 03:09 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I don't get why people who are fine with strapping a toddler down in a stroller aren't also okay with leashes. At least the leash gives the kids some leeway to explore and get exercise.
I had compliant non runners but I totally agree. If you have a kid with lots of energy that runs, the harness seems like a great way to allow them to burn off energy by actually walking while staying safe. I totally judge 6 year olds in strollers. That lack of exercise is part of the obesity problem. Be a parent and take breaks but don’t let your kid be lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 03:18 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Kids have different personalities and different needs. What works for one does not work for all. I've always been curious about how parents got their children to willingly stay in a baby carrier outside of the car past 9 months. Mine were mobile then. Sitting still wasn't their thing. I certainly couldn't just carry them in some place and expect them to lay there.

I used a leash a couple of times for outdoor hikes with toddlers. They didn't want to hold my hand and I didn't want to lose them.

We are a family of climbers. Each generation had a few. My parents were climbers too. They put a fence outside where we lived when I was little. That must not have lasted long. I remember getting in trouble for climbing it. I liked to climb. I climbed trees too.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:28 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I had compliant non runners but I totally agree. If you have a kid with lots of energy that runs, the harness seems like a great way to allow them to burn off energy by actually walking while staying safe. I totally judge 6 year olds in strollers. That lack of exercise is part of the obesity problem. Be a parent and take breaks but don’t let your kid be lazy.
You shouldn't. You never know what physical disabilities might prevent a child from walking. And the parent may have reasons to prefer a stroller over a wheelchair.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:54 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
You shouldn't. You never know what physical disabilities might prevent a child from walking. And the parent may have reasons to prefer a stroller over a wheelchair.
Totally! Also people with children with Autism often use strollers for an extended time because the child feels safer in it in crowds or isn't as bothered by sensory issues if they are in a safe place.

Why judge? Seriously, we don't know what is going on with them.

I got judged a lot for carrying my daughter past 6 years old. People said things here and there. They had no clue why I had to do that...and yes I would have rather her walk.

Judge first, ask questions later?

Old 06-02-2018, 04:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Totally agree. And even for able-bodied kids, maybe they just got tired after a long day at. . . something. And to use the "obesity epidemic" as an excuse for judging. . . unbelievable!

Old 06-02-2018, 04:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Totally agree. And even for able-bodied kids, maybe they just got tired after a long day at. . . something. And to use the "obesity epidemic" as an excuse for judging. . . unbelievable!
oh man, I totally agree. My kids stopped going in the stroller around 3...I sure wished they kept liking them. I can still out last my kids when it comes to being on my feet and walking (but they have me beat on running and higher energy activities). There were many times I wished they were in a stroller...to give them a rest, to make it so I was able to stay out longer, to put my bag in so I wouldn't have back pain at the end of the day.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:37 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,512 times
Quote:
You are right, I don't know that. I will keep that in mind. Rest assured, I'm too busy to walk around actually judging random people for kids in strollers. I have honestly never had a reason, through 3 kids, to use a stroller past 4. If you schedule appropriately with breaks, kids are strong. We've done Disney a few times, Europe a few times, no strollers past 4. Heck, my youngest and whiniest kid survived 100 degree weather walking around Rome with no stroller at 4 1/2. Nothing a gelato couldn't fix...

I probably won't change my mind about how I really feel about able bodied typical kids, but I will keep these things in mind and try to judge less.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:20 PM

492 posts, read 630,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
We have that one. Of my six kids I’ve only needed to use it on one of them, fortunately, and only in certain situations. Most kids do pretty well with hand holding and following with a group, but some do not. I have one kiddo in the stroller and then my older children hold the hand of the runner most of the time.
As you can tell by my user name I have 7 grandkids. One grandson is the only one that needed this backpack and we always made it fun to wear. Made a game out of it and he could put whatever he wanted in it.I will do anything for the safety of these precious gifts.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:37 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Interesting thread.

As Americans, we have a bizarre culture. People who go out in public with their dogs off leash are considered irresponsible by the dog community, because they're endangering their dogs, but parents are frowned upon if they put harnesses on their kids, by the parent community.

Honestly, I really wish I'd thought of doing that when my kids were little. I had two right in a row and it was HARD to keep up with them.

Here's what I've learned. As a parent. If you did something HARDER, and other parents did something EASIER, and didn't suffer for it, you're angry. Because you did something harder that seems like unnecessary effort.

For example, parents who refused to use pacifiers, parents who refused to use baby walkers, parents who didn't feed their kids junk food, mothers who breastfed, are irritated at those who used pacifiers, walkers and junk food and formula fed their infants. Because they took the easier route and didn't suffer punishment for their easier decisions. Such is life.

Because yeah. It's really irritating if you think doing a harder thing is the best thing, and then others who didn't do that and had an easier life and were successful with their kids.
I promise you this is not a thing. I didn't feed my kid junk food. I didn't use a pacifier. I didn't really use a walker because by the time he was big enough for the walker, he was actually WALKING already.

I was NEVER angry about any of it. Who would be?

I also fail to see any way in which feeding your kid junk makes your life easier in any way whatsoever. It was just as convenient to give the kid a banana or some yogurt for a quick baby-safe snack as to give them, I don't know what, Cheetos maybe? And a whole lot less mess!

Well maybe not the yogurt. In early days (when he started feeding himself) he usually ended up wearing about as much as he actually ate, LOL!

Old 06-02-2018, 06:46 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times
I've never had a problem with parents making sure their kids don't get lost or grabbed by a stranger in public. If they need a leash, it's a great way to keep them close by. I'd rather see a kid on a leash than an unattended kid run into traffic.

Safety is safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting