Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 10:04 PM

371 posts, read 286,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
This can't be normal can it? Has anyone seen a situation like this?

I just found out today that my brother and his wife are pregnant with their second kid...they just hit the 12 week mark and the baby will be due early December. They have another kid who is 3. My wife and I have a son that is 15 months and are also expecting a second baby around early December.

My wife hates my brother's wife and thinks my parents favor her/them much more over us....that's probably because my niece gets to see my parents all the time and with my kid, my wife puts moratoriums on when my parents can visit our son..like every 2 weeks or so. To add insult to injury, my wife also dislikes my niece because she came from my sister in law.

Needless to say my wife is not only pissed they are having a second kid at all, but also that he/she will be born around the same time as our second one. She had a cute idea to announce to my family on father's day, but now she just wants me to text them or call them...not even tell them in person ! (They live 15 minutes away). She thinks now that our second kid will be irrelevant beause my brother's second kid will be the hot topic of the year from my parents' perspective.

So I ask - this isn't normal is it? Has anyone else had any family drama where kids from the same general family are born around the week? I try to tell her "just focus on our two kids", but I have the feeling I'm going to be the target of her envy and disappointment for a long time...as if I can control when other people decide to have babies.
My sister had her son 6 weeks after ours. They are close friends. It was a wonderful relationship they experienced and still do as adults.

No I don't think this is normal. My parents always favored my sister over me but the fact that I loved my son, and he'd have a playmate/cousin his own age, made me elated. Also this insistance your parents can only see your son every two weeks is something you are complicit with? They have the right to see their grandchild when they choose to. Don't help your wife commit crimes against your own parents. You and your son go visit. Sounds like leaving your wife home much of the time is a better solution anyway. Wear a condom for now on, something is very wrong in your relationship.

Good luck, I wish you the best. And congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 12:12 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,036,869 times
My twin girls were born 5 days before my sister’s youngest daughter. My parents got 3 granddaughters in 5 days!

My parents were so excited & so were we; it was awesome. Your wife is really insecure.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:34 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,197,093 times
Your wife is a narcissist. It's hard for people like this to get help because they can't or recognize they have personality disorder.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:39 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,059,380 times
Quote:

I just found out today that my brother and his wife are pregnant with their second kid...they just hit the 12 week mark and the baby will be due early December. They have another kid who is 3. My wife and I have a son that is 15 months and are also expecting a second baby around early December.

My wife hates my brother's wife and thinks my parents favor her/them much more over us....that's probably because my niece gets to see my parents all the time and with my kid, my wife puts moratoriums on when my parents can visit our son..like every 2 weeks or so. To add insult to injury, my wife also dislikes my niece because she came from my sister in law.

Needless to say my wife is not only pissed they are having a second kid at all, but also that he/she will be born around the same time as our second one. She had a cute idea to announce to my family on father's day, but now she just wants me to text them or call them...not even tell them in person ! (They live 15 minutes away). She thinks now that our second kid will be irrelevant beause my brother's second kid will be the hot topic of the year from my parents' perspective.

So I ask - this isn't normal is it? Has anyone else had any family drama where kids from the same general family are born around the week? I try to tell her "just focus on our two kids", but I have the feeling I'm going to be the target of her envy and disappointment for a long time...as if I can control when other people decide to have babies.
Your wife should be happy that she is having a kid at all. Be grateful. But she wont cuz she is so hatefilled.
Good luck with your Damien spawn.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:23 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,300,678 times
Your wife needs to see a professional.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:13 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,306,247 times
Your wife is not acting like a normal rational adult. Get her some help before she ruins your relationships.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:11 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,113,551 times
Quote:

No....This is all on your wife. Her attitude is the primary reason for the discord.....and it will remain so unless and until she grows up.

People always gravitate to the one that is easier to love.......Try counseling.....or you will be in for a life time of misery like you are describing.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:11 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,832,402 times
Quote:

Congratulations on the new babies in the family!

Quote:

Your parents probably do favor your brother's family. It is only natural to favor those who are nicest to us. I think you might want to step in and allow your parents more access to your child. In order to foster a close relationship with grandparents there needs to be an opportunity to develop a close relationship. If your wife intentionally keeps your parents at bay there will be little chance for a close relationship to develop.

Quote:

Is your wife always so dramatic and negative? This is not normal. In most families new babies are a source of excitement and the more babies, the more excitement. Don't let your wife's problem become everyone's problem. You need to step in and do something.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,113,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Congratulations on the new babies in the family!

Your parents probably do favor your brother's family. It is only natural to favor those who are nicest to us. I think you might want to step in and allow your parents more access to your child. In order to foster a close relationship with grandparents there needs to be an opportunity to develop a close relationship. If your wife intentionally keeps your parents at bay there will be little chance for a close relationship to develop.

Is your wife always so dramatic and negative? This is not normal. In most families new babies are a source of excitement and the more babies, the more excitement. Don't let your wife's problem become everyone's problem. You need to step in and do something.
Next time your wife tries to put the the brakes on your parents....pack those babies up,..... they are your children too!!.... in your car and take them to see their grandparents.

Do not accept your wife's irrational behavior........Do not normalize it with a cutesy name.....moratorium???? What you accept you teach.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:04 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,731,992 times
I'm sorry for you. You guys need to go to counseling, so that you can tell your wife in a supportive environment where the therapist will help it not devolve into a fight, that it's hurtful to you for her to limit your parents' relationship with their grandchildren, and only harms you and the children, and your marriage.

For her to see this as her sister in law stealing the show, instead of as an opportunity for cousins to grow up together, says a lot about her personality. Therapy to help her become aware of this may cause her to rein in her jealousy. Also, talk to your parents and ask them to be scrupulously even-handed in their generosity to the grandkids, so as not to give her cause to be jealous.

My MIL has always favored her daughter's children over mine (her son's) children. I have just accepted it, because doing anything else would just make things worse for my kids. Only once did I challenge her, when all the granddaughters were visiting, and she invited the other two to lunch, and excluded mine. After that, she tried to change - didn't make much difference, but at least she tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting