Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 06:08 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
1). Most doctors tend to marry people, like themselves, with similar intelligence. After all, doctors aren't going to marry someone who they can't hold a conservation with.

2) Doctors tend to live in nicer areas where the chances of having a college education spouse is very high.

3) Many doctors tend to socialize with other doctors. When a friend move to a new area, her husband's medical practice arranged for her to meet the other wives. The doctors and their wives took turns hosting dinners.

Never mind, I don't think I've ever meet someone who didn't graduate high school. Is it legal not to finish high school? Truancy laws? Is she getting out of the house? So I'm not getting this whole picture.

Chicagoliz, I lived in Norwood/Dedham area. We sort of threw a dart at a map and it landed there. If I had the internet, I would have chosen differently and probably would have been happier.
It's hard for me to imagine, because I'm not even sure I know anyone without a college degree, and a significant number of SAHMs I know have had advanced degrees. But I know there are plenty of people out there who do not have college degrees, as I realize I'm in a bit of a bubble. And I'm sure there are some SAHMs without college degrees. But I find it impossible to imagine that there are any more than a very small percentage of SAHMs who don't even have a high school diploma.

You can age out of high school. If kids just don't go, for whatever reason, some places don't have the resources to track down the kids. Or if they do track them down, I don't know that they can physically make them be in school, especially if they are mobile enough to physically leave on their own. And absolutely once someone is 18, no one can force them to go to high school and get a high school diploma. They can abandon the endeavor if they wish. I would assume a fair number end up getting GEDs at some point, but I don't really know how many. But I find it difficult to imagine that there are any significant number who end up marrying someone who earns enough money to enable them not to work for money. I can't imagine too many doctors marrying high school dropouts, although I suppose it's not impossible.

I can see Norwood/Dedham as having been kind of "townie." They've since become quite desirable and housing prices have shot up. There's been a lot of development out that way, so I would suspect that at least some of the dynamic that you experienced is dying down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 11:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Am I the only one who finds this response more than a little snarky? Especially in view of the long-time, very insightful and caring poster to whom it seems to be addressed?
No

Quote:
1). Most doctors tend to marry people, like themselves, with similar intelligence. After all, doctors aren't going to marry someone who they can't hold a conservation with.

2) Doctors tend to live in nicer areas where the chances of having a college education spouse is very high.

3) Many doctors tend to socialize with other doctors. When a friend move to a new area, her husband's medical practice arranged for her to meet the other wives. The doctors and their wives took turns hosting dinners.

Never mind, I don't think I've ever meet someone who didn't graduate high school. Is it legal not to finish high school? Truancy laws? Is she getting out of the house? So I'm not getting this whole picture.

Chicagoliz, I lived in Norwood/Dedham area. We sort of threw a dart at a map and it landed there. If I had the internet, I would have chosen differently and probably would have been happier.
I worked in a doctors' office with five docs, 4 males. Their wives had college degrees, but generally not advanced degrees.

I'm sure the amount of socialization among docs varies like everything else. I never got the impression the docs I worked with socialized with each other much out of work.

Yes. Surely you've heard of HS dropouts before.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:29 AM

48 posts, read 35,223 times
Quote:
1) Never mind, I don't think I've ever meet someone who didn't graduate high school. Is it legal not to finish high school? Truancy laws? Is she getting out of the house? So I'm not getting this whole picture.
Every state has laws on how old someone has to be to drop out of high school. In many states, that age is 16. Rest assured that there are parents having the conversation with their kids where they tell them "You just need to keep showing up until you turn 16" as a way to find a middle ground with their continuously truant 14 or 15 year old. Sad, but true. I've seen it myself.

Also rest assured that many pregnant teenagers are having the exact same discussion with their parent(s).

Old 06-08-2018, 08:42 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDad85 View Post
Every state has laws on how old someone has to be to drop out of high school. In many states, that age is 16. Rest assured that there are parents having the conversation with their kids where they tell them "You just need to keep showing up until you turn 16" as a way to find a middle ground with their continuously truant 14 or 15 year old. Sad, but true. I've seen it myself.

Also rest assured that many pregnant teenagers are having the exact same discussion with their parent(s).
Yes, but how high school dropout would the OP know especially if the OP lives in a nicer home in a nicer neighborhood.

I guess it would be possible but not likely.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:58 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
It's hard for me to imagine, because I'm not even sure I know anyone without a college degree, and a significant number of SAHMs I know have had advanced degrees. But I know there are plenty of people out there who do not have college degrees, as I realize I'm in a bit of a bubble. And I'm sure there are some SAHMs without college degrees. But I find it impossible to imagine that there are any more than a very small percentage of SAHMs who don't even have a high school diploma.
The statistics are probably skewed by the fact that some SAHMs don't work by default (can't get a job), and they are the ones without high school diplomas. But all the SAHMs I know who stay at home by choice, have college degrees.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:01 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The statistics are probably skewed by the fact that some SAHMs don't work by default (can't get a job), and they are the ones without high school diplomas. But all the SAHMs I know who stay at home by choice, have college degrees.
But, I would think, in the circles where there are lots of high school dropouts, that it would be an economic necessity for these moms to work at some kind of job (even if it's cashier, maid, some kind of bottom tier healthcare aide, etc). Especially if they've married someone else with no diploma, it seems unlikely that the person they marry would have enough money to enable to mom with not even a H.S. diploma to never work at all outside the home. I've heard of stories where mom works the night shift and dad works the day shift, so they never have to pay for child care because they can't afford to. But those are not SAHMs.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:00 AM

334 posts, read 188,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma1 View Post
NO am not escaping from anyone or anything. I JUST WANT A CHANGE .all these assumptions..Good lord
So basically, your marriage is over. YOU decided that YOU don't like Massachusetts so YOU are going to BREAK UP your family? It sounds like a power struggle to me. You may as well get the divorce papers ready. Besides, long distance relationships are difficult. You think your husband is going to sit alone for a year or two or three without finding someone else? It seems like you want your cake and eat it too. Either there is something more to this story and you're not telling it or you are grossly naive.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:05 AM

334 posts, read 188,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Exactly.

OP, your posts tell me everything I need to know about you. And not just me. You put this post in the PARENTING forum, so naturally we are going to look at the situation from your KIDS' point of view, not yours. When you became a wife and then a mother, you gave up the "right" to make your life all about yourself and what you think you need. I take it you didn't say "I take this man for better, for worse" when you got married. There is no more "he" and "she" after marriage, just "we." You want to move halfway across the country and remake your life, you should have stayed single.

If your husband is smart, he'll divorce you for abandonment. Even if he doesn't, don't be surprised if he ends up with a side piece when sleeping by himself gets too lonely. He is agreeing with this now, but give it 6 months to a year and we'll see if he still feels the same. Not to mention, those travel expenses every other weekend are going to add up big time. Better the two of you STAY TOGETHER and that money gets put into savings for college or other expenses down the road.

Oh, and BTW, a Bachelor's Degree doesn't get you squat when it comes to a well-paying job these days. Business Administration degrees are a dime a dozen.
You Nailed It....!

Old 06-10-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Yes, but how high school dropout would the OP know especially if the OP lives in a nicer home in a nicer neighborhood.

I guess it would be possible but not likely.
You're moving the goalposts. You asked if it was legal to drop out of high school.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
So basically, your marriage is over. YOU decided that YOU don't like Massachusetts so YOU are going to BREAK UP your family? It sounds like a power struggle to me. You may as well get the divorce papers ready. Besides, long distance relationships are difficult. You think your husband is going to sit alone for a year or two or three without finding someone else? It seems like you want your cake and eat it too. Either there is something more to this story and you're not telling it or you are grossly naive.
Although this isn't something I would do, I know people who have lived long-distance for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting