Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 06:09 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Someone asked this early on, but she denied it and got huffy. Not sure why she'd deny it if it were true -- nothing to be ashamed of, just a simple fact. And if she wanted to go back to a country where she'd grown up, or wanted a community of more people from her country, then her upset and plan would make a lot more sense. But again, she insisted that was not the case.

She mixed that question with ability to write English or say citizenship status. English from someone who is not born and brought up in USA is easy to spot. She thought that people are finding grammar mistakes but this was not the case.

Her query makes perfect sense to me but I think that she would have got answers if she had mentioned these facts about her immigrant background and ofcourse Dallas forum, not Parenting thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 07:04 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
She mixed that question with ability to write English or say citizenship status. English from someone who is not born and brought up in USA is easy to spot. She thought that people are finding grammar mistakes but this was not the case.

Her query makes perfect sense to me but I think that she would have got answers if she had mentioned these facts about her immigrant background and ofcourse Dallas forum, not Parenting thread.
I had assumed that English was not her first language, but she took offense when someone asked that. She claimed that the assumption was insulting and due to typos, which carries an implication of denial.

She had claimed not to know about the Dallas forum, although I'm not certain that the thread wouldn't have gone in a similar direction. I don't spend much time in the Dallas forum, so I don't know the overall feel of it, but in some of the other forums I've been in, people don't hesitate to give their opinions about matters other than the question that was asked.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma1 View Post
Hi everyone my name is Roma

Currently like in Massachusetts and will be relocating to dallas for the first time.Back in Massachusetts am a stay at home mom.I dont work even though I have a out 12 thousand dollars saved up.My spouse is an anaesthesiologist who will never leave massachusettes. He loves his job and makes a lot of money here this has chosen to stay put.I have had it living in MA .And want to move asap.We are not getting a divorce but I cant stand it in Massachusetts and he won't move so we agreed to live separately to be happy.My reason for joining this website is because I have a lot of questions I need to ask.What are the safe areas in dallas..what are the best schools and how fast can I find a job ..I'd love it of someone could answer my question. Also how will I rent when I have no paystubs but a ton of cash am bringing with me.please help as I need to know this before I take the leap and move.Thanks

Roma
You made a family with this guy and tearing it up because you don't like living in a particular state is beyond ridiculous, IMO.
$12k isn't enough to start out with, either. COL is high here in many hidden (and not so hidden) ways.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:22 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,778 times
You taking 3 kids with you with no planning and a small amount of cash is not safe for any of you.
Let's supposed that you move, and find a place to rent etc... How do you think you will support your family?
What will you answer to your children when they say they don't like or ask you why did you have to move.
You might as well reach out to someone in your family to co-sign a lease for you because no sane landlord will rent you anything without assuring him you have a regular income (aka job) and credit check.

usually women leaving with no planning and with kids happen when they are abused and they fear for the safety of their kids and therefore try to escape. there are women's shelter. perhaps they can help? But the thing is you are not fleeing abuse, are you?

Old 06-11-2018, 10:21 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
So this page is filled with hateful people .Sad.

You dont know me personally so calling me selfish is very funny. To answer your question my spouse agreed on the move even though he doesnt like the idea.Hes going to come and see us every other weekend .Enough said.I regret even asking for help. Most of you guys here are not helpful ..but a bunch of meanies.goodday

I'm curious...does it HAVE to be Dallas? If you're tired of cold weather (and I can totally agree with that) there ARE other southern states that are more temperate, but not as far as Texas. North and South Carolina comes to mind. And anything south of there, along the Atlantic coast side.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:55 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
All you posters are missing the point that the OP explained. This is not about the kids nor the hubby, they will be ok. This is all about the unhappiness of the OP. Not quite sure why so many of you can't see this and continue to berate OP, when she made it clear it was just about her happiness and all she sacrificed over the years for the DH and the kids and now it is her turn.
She has a 5 year old, a 2 year old, and a 6 month old. Her "years of sacrifice" are only just beginning where they are concerned. She CHOSE to make sacrifices for her husband, while he is returning the favor by being out busting his rear end to give her and their kids a good life (sad the way it is so common these days to downplay the contributions of a husband to his family!) - that's what spouses do for each other.

And no, spouse and kids will NOT be OK. She is choosing to break up the family unit. Maybe she should have thought about all of this BEFORE saying "I do" and making 3 kids with a husband who, hopefully, will divorce her for desertion if she goes through with her leave-taking.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:20 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Hi everyone my name is Roma

Currently like in Massachusetts and will be relocating to dallas for the first time.Back in Massachusetts am a stay at home mom.I dont work even though I have a out 12 thousand dollars saved up.My spouse is an anaesthesiologist who will never leave massachusettes. He loves his job and makes a lot of money here this has chosen to stay put.I have had it living in MA .And want to move asap.We are not getting a divorce but I cant stand it in Massachusetts and he won't move so we agreed to live separately to be happy.My reason for joining this website is because I have a lot of questions I need to ask.What are the safe areas in dallas..what are the best schools and how fast can I find a job ..I'd love it of someone could answer my question. Also how will I rent when I have no paystubs but a ton of cash am bringing with me.please help as I need to know this before I take the leap and move.Thanks

Roma
Hi Roma - couple of thoughts here. First - Dallas weather is much nicer than Boston - warmer latitude.

Dallas is a huge city, very spread out. You will definitely need a reliable car.

Schools are all over the place in terms of quality. Be sure to select a good school district.

People are friendly in Texas. However, there's probably more violent crime in Dallas than in most of the Boston area. Pick a safe neighborhood.

I suggest you go to the Dallas forum here for specific details on good school districts. You may want to start out in a temporary rental until you get to know the city, then find a more permanent setting.

Docs actually tend to make more money in other states than Massachusetts, because of the high number of med schools and teaching hospitals here. Lots of young docs want to stay here, so unless you're in a great specialty, you're not earning as much. A surgeon friend of mine said she could double her salary if she moved to Ohio. I'm not certain, but I think Dallas would also have some high paying jobs for an anesthesiologist. But, of course, he needs to be willing to relocate. Maybe have him visit down there a few times and he'll get to like the place?

Cost of living is much lower in Dallas than in Massachusetts. Lower taxation, cheaper property, etc.

Flights between Dallas and Boston are expensive.

That's all I have. Good luck -- it's a big move.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Hi Roma - couple of thoughts here. First - Dallas weather is much nicer than Boston - warmer latitude.
The weather is awful. It's 105 in the summer, can get even hotter than that, and it's not close enough to the ocean for a breeze to come through. It cooks in the summer and the heat can linger on through October or November. The humidity is pretty bad, too.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Actually...no they don't. They think "hummmm...maybe they will have another baby and I am going to be stuck with a mess to figure out". Its not legal, it isn't PC...but its the reality of looking for a job after being a SAHM. MANY of my friends who stayed home for a while had to climb back in to the work force way under their qualifications. The rest just didn't go back to work or took on a job with less pay and no where in their field.
I guess our experiences differ.

I've got friends who went right back into the work force at a level you'd expect.

Some chose not to work at a full time career and did other things like catering assistant, or even a Starbucks barista, but that was really by choice.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:11 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The weather is awful. It's 105 in the summer, can get even hotter than that, and it's not close enough to the ocean for a breeze to come through. It cooks in the summer and the heat can linger on through October or November. The humidity is pretty bad, too.
Well, like they say in Phoenix: you don't have to shovel sunshine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting