Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 08:01 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times

Advertisements

As someone who moved from the north east to Dallas, I am not sure why you would choose here.

My husband lost his job and now is working back east. All I can say it is isolating, not fulfilling and I miss my husband. Being a single mm in a place with no support system is incredibly hard.

Last edited by veuvegirl; 06-04-2018 at 09:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:26 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma1 View Post
If he divorces me that's his loss.Who says divorce is the end of the world. Am the reason why he is who he is today but guess what ..I need to be happy too.i do not owe u or anyone an explanation. At least I have a degree.Most stay at home moms dont even have a high school diploma. I can easily use that degree to become a nurse in two years..(BSN) being married shouldn't stop one from being happy. To answer your question...I couldn't figure out the website that's why I posted under parenting..[ worse mistake since this place is filled with meanies) That being said I wont be posting again.Goodday ..Oh and if he ends up with a side piece it's his choice ..who cares.. He's an anaesthesiologist am a stay at home mom..I need to do something with my life too.goodday
My mother was a SAHM, and she graduated from Albany (NY) Business School with High Honors. She also had TWO high school diplomas, one from her high school, and the NYS Regents Diploma. My father made enough money as an Engineer doing R&D for General Electric so she didn't have to work, and I am very glad not to have been shunted into day care.

And your cavalier attitude about divorce speaks volumes. If you REALLY loved your husband the idea of divorce, or him filling your absence with another woman, would be devastating. The more you post the more truths you are letting slip.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:39 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Am new to this website.Couldnt figure the website out .if u look at my profile u can tell. I guess I shouldn't have posted at all.I regret for signing up to say the least.I was only looking for answers not critics

You can either ask a mod to move this thread to the correct forum or start a new thread there. I'm sure some people there will be a bit puzzled about your planned living situation, but they'll be able to answer your questions.

Dallas is thatta way-----> //www.city-data.com/forum/dallas/

Old 06-04-2018, 09:03 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Roma, in my area that attitude is called a spitfire. Filled with much vim/vigor.
May I ask though, had you studied and done the tests that supplied this gent with his degree? Maybe the university will give you an honorary degree if you so called ' made him the man he is today'.
my hubby received his doctorate and I had zero desire to ride his shirt tale . He earned it thru mountains of studies and clinic time. I did learn a lot since I typed many of his presentations....but no, he did the foot work.
I like that you wish to move. Sounds like you are all set. Just one thing. Leave the kids with the responsible parent. Some states frown upon parents taking the kids and uprooting them from the home . But you know that.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:51 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Roma, just two questions, and I mean both of them kindly.

Where are you from originally, and do you still have family you care about in your home state?

And - three children under five is a lot, and two under two can be very wearing on your energy, your body, and your emotions. Have you given any consideration to the possibility that post-natal depression might be part of your unhappiness with your present situation? As your baby is only five months old, perhaps his or her arrival exacerbated already existing tension. If this is something you haven't considered but think might be a factor, please check with your doctor and get evaluated.

Perhaps marital counseling might be a good idea, too. Even if divorce is not part of your plan, a separation such as you describe is likely to put tremendous stress on your marriage, and I would not be at all surprised if your husband would ask for a divorce within a year of this arrangement. I hope I am mistaken, but talking to a counselor might make things better for all of you.

Before moving to Dallas, it would be wise to read and learn everything you can about the city and the area, especially if you have not previously spent much time there. Visiting is good, but it's not the same as being a resident.

I've only visited MA once, but was impressed by the friendliness and intelligence of many of the people I encountered, as well as the beauty and history of the places I saw (a tiny bit of Boston, Lexington and Concord, and the Plymouth area). I was there in the summer, but realize the winters can be brutal.

But Dallas doesn't get off the hook weather-wise - it can be oppressively hot in the summer and tornados visit regularly. It is warmer in the winter, comparatively speaking.

You do deserve to be happy and it seems that change is going to have to happen for that to occur. I am just not sure that the "geographic cure" would be long-lasting, given the situation you describe.

Perhaps examining other possibilities might lead you to greater eventual happiness and be less disruptive for everyone. Spending a summer in Dallas before making a full move might be helpful in determining whether your wish to live there is workable or is just a dream.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:54 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Hi everyone my name is Roma

Currently like in Massachusetts and will be relocating to dallas for the first time.Back in Massachusetts am a stay at home mom.I dont work even though I have a out 12 thousand dollars saved up.My spouse is an anaesthesiologist who will never leave massachusettes. He loves his job and makes a lot of money here this has chosen to stay put.I have had it living in MA .And want to move asap.We are not getting a divorce but I cant stand it in Massachusetts and he won't move so we agreed to live separately to be happy.My reason for joining this website is because I have a lot of questions I need to ask.What are the safe areas in dallas..what are the best schools and how fast can I find a job ..I'd love it of someone could answer my question. Also how will I rent when I have no paystubs but a ton of cash am bringing with me.please help as I need to know this before I take the leap and move.Thanks

Roma
Hello Roma

Before reading any of the responses you have been given, I wanted to respond to say ... I did it! However, I did it after having gone through a divorce.

I moved (1994 - 2006) to Dallas, so as I could find work and support my three children. It was an adventure. And I came here to tell you, you can do anything as long as you apply yourself appropriately (words from my father that played an inspirational role)

I can answer this
Quote:
What are the safe areas in dallas..what are the best schools and how fast can I find a job
Two suburbs of Dallas (there are no poor areas in these two) Richardson (area) and Carrolton (area) and they rate as to having the best schools. Do not enroll your children in a DISD.

I worked through temp agencies mostly as my resume said and I quote my interviewers of the time ... you have all this college and no office experience, ha! Hire me, then I will have office experience, is what I would think ... then I saw a temp ad, applied and after a time, well it worked.

The best thing I found as an asset to having worked with a temp agency for jobs, is that I had to drive all over Dallas to their client's companies. After about a year, I knew the Dallas roads, burbs and freeways and Interstate and Loops.

You can test the waters now with your resume on ziprecruiter and indeed dot com and glassdoor for excellent reviews of companies and their offerings.

As for as renting with no pay stubs, I'd go through a rental real estate agent. They will be able to help you.

And just know ... if I can do it, you can too. Keep it fun and innovative and you will make friends easily.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
True ..but dont want to move to another cold state.
south Carolina? Florida?

Quote:
NO am not escaping from anyone or anything. I JUST WANT A CHANGE .all these assumptions..Good lord
Not what I said. Excuse me, but it is completely abnormal to do what you are proposing because you don't like the weather. If you were escaping it would make more sense.

In the process of a move I lived with my small kids in a different state than my husband. Worst 6 months of my life. I can't fathom volunteering to do that permanently.

Have you tried couples therapy?

Old 06-04-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I won't be answering any more questions. Am done.Thanks to all who answered politely. I asked a simple question,yet almost everyone wants an in depth explanation.i didn't ask for advice.
You posted about breaking up a family in the parenting forum. I was nice enough to direct you to the Texas forum, at least.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:30 PM

Homeschooling? Your oldest is 5.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:45 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I worked through temp agencies mostly as my resume said and I quote my interviewers of the time ... you have all this college and no office experience, ha! Hire me, then I will have office experience, is what I would think ... then I saw a temp ad, applied and after a time, well it worked.

The best thing I found as an asset to having worked with a temp agency for jobs, is that I had to drive all over Dallas to their client's companies. After about a year, I knew the Dallas roads, burbs and freeways and Interstate and Loops. .

This is really bad advice. Sorry and honestly I'm not trying to be "mean" here. Although it may have worked for you, temping is not a real job with benefits. A person with 3 children shouldn't be moving to a city without a permanent job offer lined up. The "variety" and "unpredictability" of temping assignments will make childcare arrangements a nightmare. Temporary office jobs in Dallas pay $9-$14 an hour. Daycare for three children will cost around $30 an hour.

Do the math.

The Carrollton and Richardson areas are nice but someone with no job and only 12K saved up should only consider Mesquite or South Dallas.

I wish I had something positive to add to this thread but I just don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting