Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 03:30 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,997,118 times

Advertisements

Of course it's okay to ask to be called the name you prefer, but be mindful that after xx amt of yrs of calling you by a particular name, she may slip up now & again. I've done the same as have others I've known, who've either legally changed their first names or no longer wish to be called Cathy, but Catherine or Tommy, but Thomas.

My point is, don't take it as a slight, when she slips up & calls you a former nickname... & it will happen. It doesn't sound as if she's doing it to belittle you, but as a term of endearment she's always had for you & she will forget from time to time.

By the way, almost everyone I've known with a childhood nickname doesn't like to be referred to by it in adulthood, so it's not unusual.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 04:24 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,707 times
Miss my late wife and mom calling me cutesy names .... at age 74.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:47 PM

310 posts, read 446,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I am now 21 years old and in college, and sometimes my mother calls me by my first name or a mature nickname, but most other times she calls me "boyzee" (sounds exactly how it's spelled). I appreciate the sentiment, but I really don't like being called that as it makes me feel like a little kid. Even my dad laughs when she calls me that. It's one thing to call me "honey" or "sweetie," because those are more mature pet names, but "boyzee" really doesn't sound good for someone my age. I haven't asked her to stop saying "boyzee" because I know she likes it and I'm afraid she will be devastated if she can't call me that anymore. Parents, do you think you would be upset if you called your adult child a nickname like this and they asked you not to? I certainly don't want to hurt her feelings but I want to feel like an adult, and she does treat me like an adult besides that name.
It would not hurt my feelings, especially if it was asked in a polite, respectful way, with a lovingly hug afterwards.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:59 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,718,518 times
I still call mine "BoBo" or "Bootles" or "Shugga Pop" and it always makes her smile.

I'm sorry you feel so sensitive about it, OP.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
I know that is off topic but I am surprised at how many seem to think that childhood nick names are completely OK and can't lead to future problems.

Frankly, I think that baby nick names should stop when the baby becomes a tween, teen or young adult (if they are even used at all). Even when I was a child I just cringed to hear my father and his older siblings being called very cute, very childish nick names as grown adults by friends, relatives, neighbors (and in some cases, co-workers).

Imagine being a 95 year old great grandma and still being called "Cutie Butt" (a nick name from a comment made when you were a week old baby)? Or, like my father, being called "Baby" as a 80 year old because you were the baby of the family. Or being called "Tiny Dolly" because you were so tiny as a baby and looked like a "tiny dolly". I was in my late teens before I realized that "Tiny Dolly" was not my uncle's real name as everyone called him that, including his co-workers.

And, yes, "Cutie Butt", "Baby", and "Tiny Dolly" were even listed on the top line of their obituaries with their real names when the passed away.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:02 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
I'd consider the great joy the mother takes from the pet name as opposed to the minor "offense" I'd take for being called that name. I mean, if the pet name was Moderator cut: inappropriate, then I suppose a "reasonable" boundary would be needed.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-15-2018 at 06:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting