Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 05:36 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
When my daughter was about six, we were riding the greyhound bus to visit a friend in California and a stranger offered my daughter some of his french fries. I just thanked him and politely refused. Eww though..
Eww yes, but at least you heard the offer and could decline on your daughter's behalf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 07:30 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I agree. I wouldn't be happy about this, but I wouldn't have the literal rage this woman has. I'd probably just take the fruit away or give it back and say "no thanks."
Such hostility and self-righteousness from these parents. Anti-social behavior is bad enough these days without people going overboard.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:03 PM

560 posts, read 540,116 times
I would have just be firm with the lady, telling her it isn't appropriate to give food to children you don't know, especially in the age of today's allergies.

I would be upset if I turned around to see my youngest son chewing on something from that lady. Im deaf, so don't always hear quiet conversations behind me if im busy paying or loading groceries. My youngest is allergic to quite significant foods that I would be legit freaking out on the stranger.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:20 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Non-life threatening? How would you know? It's wildly optimistic to expect a not quite 2 yr old to refuse food from a stranger, isn't it? I'd huff and puff too if somebody thought they had the right to offer food to my young child without checking with me.

Stop extrapolating and reread what I wrote. Gently removing the food and Being firm and calmly telling a stranger why it’s inappropriate to feed other people’s children is all that’s required without scaring a child with drama queen antics.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:35 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
always ask the parent before offering food to their child. a stranger can't know if a child has a life threatening food allergy, diabetes, potential drug interactions and the food could be a serious health hazard.

that being said, the mom's reaction was unnecessarily hostile. a simple 'thank you, but my child isn't allowed to have X' would have sufficed.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:56 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
I've had parents/grandparents at the playground offer my grandsons snacks (candy, namely). Their mom has them on a vegan organic diet, with NO sugar. It's hard to explain this to well meaners, I just say they have food allergies, and their mom has packed them their own. But it's getting harder for oldest grandson ( 4 1/2) to resist treats new friends are eating.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:27 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2be1053 View Post
I would have just be firm with the lady, telling her it isn't appropriate to give food to children you don't know, especially in the age of today's allergies.

I would be upset if I turned around to see my youngest son chewing on something from that lady. Im deaf, so don't always hear quiet conversations behind me if im busy paying or loading groceries. My youngest is allergic to quite significant foods that I would be legit freaking out on the stranger.
unfortunately, many people are well meaning, maybe tell them the truth....

Listen, I'm a parent, concerned for the well being of my child....I don't know you, therefore, we have trained our children, not to take anything from strangers. I'm sorry if you don't understand, but this is the world we live in today.

sometimes you have to hit people with a 2 x 4 to wake them up.

you don't have to be nasty, but, at the same time, after saying this, walk away...

I have a grand daughter, and I'd feel the very same way...

It's wise to understand, that older people come from a very trusting background, depending how old they are...so, if the person is well meaning, and takes offense, tough....I would think when they think about it for a while, perhaps it will come to light for them?

Old 06-19-2018, 07:40 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm with the group who thinks this is made up. I've never done that, never seen it done to my own kids or anyone else's.
I've seen it done multiple times...as well as to my own children.
It's quite common (in my opinion)...there's many well intentioned but ignorant people out there.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:06 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I've seen it done multiple times...as well as to my own children.
It's quite common (in my opinion)...there's many well intentioned but ignorant people out there.
So I'm curious if this might be a cultural thing.

I'm out here in Wonder Bread Suburbia, and it doesn't happen out here.

People don't approach other people's children in public and give them food while the mother isn't watching, I don't think. In fact, in the grocery stores, children as old as 12 can't receive a sample from the sample carts if an adult doesn't OK it. And everyone knows that.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:20 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So I'm curious if this might be a cultural thing.

I'm out here in Wonder Bread Suburbia, and it doesn't happen out here.

People don't approach other people's children in public and give them food while the mother isn't watching, I don't think. In fact, in the grocery stores, children as old as 12 can't receive a sample from the sample carts if an adult doesn't OK it. And everyone knows that.

I have rarely ever seen it happen and I’ve lived in several states. I don’t recall it ever happening to my children, and I’ve never heard of anyone doing this with my granddaughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting