Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:57 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,392 times

Advertisements

We shied away from names that were too popular. I remember checking the "Top 10" lists when I was pregnant and making a mental note to avoid those names. I don't think any of them were on our list to consider anyways.

Our son's name is not unusual, it's a "standard" name that most people would recognize, but it is not common in the current generation. I would venture a guess that it is more common as a middle name than a first name.

I am also not a fan of creative names or names with non-obvious pronunciations. I guess I'm getting old and tired, but I don't want to have to work so hard to try and say someone's name and still get it wrong. I'm also not particularly fond of non-standard pronunciations of standard names, e.g. when I was growing up there was a girl in my school named Andrea who wanted her name pronounced "OHN-dree-uh". There was no discernible reason for this, so it seemed pretentious.

Popular names I don't like: Connor and anything ending in -ayden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 12:08 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
We shied away from names that were too popular. I remember checking the "Top 10" lists when I was pregnant and making a mental note to avoid those names. I don't think any of them were on our list to consider anyways.

Our son's name is not unusual, it's a "standard" name that most people would recognize, but it is not common in the current generation. I would venture a guess that it is more common as a middle name than a first name.

I am also not a fan of creative names or names with non-obvious pronunciations. I guess I'm getting old and tired, but I don't want to have to work so hard to try and say someone's name and still get it wrong. I'm also not particularly fond of non-standard pronunciations of standard names, e.g. when I was growing up there was a girl in my school named Andrea who wanted her name pronounced "OHN-dree-uh". There was no discernible reason for this, so it seemed pretentious.

Popular names I don't like: Connor and anything ending in -ayden.
I agree, and not only do I hate names that people don’t know how to pronounce, but I can’t remember unusual names, because I’ve got nothing in my brain to attach it to.

My son wants to name his son, if he has one, Hunter. I hope he doesn’t. It is getting to be a common “precious” name. My son is thinking of his connection to Hunter Army Airfield, but to most people Hunter is just like the -aydens...too trendy.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Even being in the top 50-55, however, there are still a decent number of kids with the same name. My son has two friends with the same name and my daughter has one.
While I don't want my kids to have any top 10 names, I feel like most other names will be hit or miss as to whether there are other kids in their class with the same name.

My name was in the top 15 for the year I was born. Between kindergarten and twelfth grade, I never met anyone else with my name. I think I had one college class where there was another girl with the same name as me, but that's it. I've never worked with anyone, don't know of any mutual friends, friend of friends, etc... With my name. It feels like its a unique name, despite being popular. I've lived in multiple states, different cities... I don't know where all these people are who apparently share my name.

But then some of the names that multiple classmates had were in the top 30-60 for the year we were born.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:04 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
I have a "trendy" name, and the thing that I hate about my name is that it dates me and has a certain stereotype to it (e.g. "he likes avocado toast"). When one hears me mentioned or my name written, you can be fairly positive that I was born sometime between 1984-1996. My name was top 15 for about a decade, and other than that really hasn't ever been relevant.

When I was little, I had a little boy name - along with the other little boy (or two) in my class with the same name. As a college student, I had a college student name. Now that I'm 32, I have a "millennial" name, or the name of a guy who just had his first kid. As I age and hit my 40s, I'll have a "dad name". A couple decades later, I'll have an "old man name". I don't particularly like that. My kids both got names that are traditional and have always been semi-common (top 100ish), but never really had a huge peak where they hit a trend. I like this so that when you hear my kid's names you don't know if they're 2 or 82.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:09 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
If its a name that has staying power, I wouldn't hesitate to name a boy Michael or John or William or the equivalent for a girl.

I would avoid a trendy name.

So, I might avoid Noah, Liam, or Aiden for a boy, but not Michael, William, or James.

That's just my .02.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:23 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
I have an unusual first name. One that frequently gets mangled both in spelling and pronunciation. I hated being the kid with the weird name (though I can appreciate it more now as an adult).

For our kids, we chose names that everyone has heard of and can spell, but are still not overly common. Names that appear on the Social Security index in the Top 100 for that year, but towards the latter part of the list. That seems to have been a happy medium, and so far, neither one of our kids has told us they hate their name.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-23-2018 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I have a "trendy" name, and the thing that I hate about my name is that it dates me and has a certain stereotype to it (e.g. "he likes avocado toast"). When one hears me mentioned or my name written, you can be fairly positive that I was born sometime between 1984-1996. My name was top 15 for about a decade, and other than that really hasn't ever been relevant.

When I was little, I had a little boy name - along with the other little boy (or two) in my class with the same name. As a college student, I had a college student name. Now that I'm 32, I have a "millennial" name, or the name of a guy who just had his first kid. As I age and hit my 40s, I'll have a "dad name". A couple decades later, I'll have an "old man name". I don't particularly like that. My kids both got names that are traditional and have always been semi-common (top 100ish), but never really had a huge peak where they hit a trend. I like this so that when you hear my kid's names you don't know if they're 2 or 82.

I'm going to guess either Ryan, Justin, or Brandon. They were popular in the 80s, and I had several classmates with those names. But now as a teacher, I've never had a student with one of those names.

Although I can't say I've ever heard a name and thought to myself "Now that sounds like the name of a man who likes avacodo toast!"

Old 07-23-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
I never planned on using this name but I actually used to like the name hayden whenever I heard it. But then every one started using that name and now there are haydens, zaydens, jaydens, kayden and now I HATE those names lol.
Yes, any if the -ayden names are way too popular. Last year in my class, I had Jayden, Hayden, Aiden, and Kayden. Evey time I called on one of them, at least 2 of them would think I called on them. I also had a Hadie, Madie, and Addie last year. It felt like half my class had the same name as someone else, just with a different letter stuck on to the front of the name.

Aiden/Aidan is actually a real name that goes back centuries, the name of an Irish monk and subsequent saint who lived in the 7th century. The rhyming ones are newer.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-23-2018 at 09:43 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 01:42 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
If I'd ever had a little girl, I would've named her Rosemary, and I would've called her Rosy.

And she would've had dark curls, and red cupid little lips, and rosy cheeks. LOL

Old 07-23-2018, 01:47 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
I think you don't really know when something is going to become popular so you should really go with something you love and you think will suit the child. A name might not be popular today but a star or character on a show could use that name for a baby 1 month from now and tons of people (sadly) will decide to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting