Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you cover up or not?
Yes 29 40.85%
No 33 46.48%
Not sure 9 12.68%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 05:23 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
young women were breastfeeding their babies, in a wading pool....
I would certainly expect a place where babies go to be a place where you see them being fed. To assume otherwise would be like going into a bar and not expecting to see people drunk. Or to go to a zoo and see animals in cages.

Quote:
Apparently a woman walked up to them and asked them to cover up for the sake of the other children there...
In other words to cover up for _her_ sake which she was projecting vicariously onto children who likely A) would not care B) would not be harmed in even the slightest way and C) likely did not even notice to be honest.

All too often "for the sake of the children" is projection and someone trying to pass off their own issues as if they were someone else's. If someone wants to worry about the "sake of the children" perhaps step 1 in their detection algorithms should be "Does this actually harm or upset children in any actual way?".

Quote:
and they refused, so a pool employee came out and asked them to please cover up and they still refused, so they were asked to leave.
Given they are legally allowed - then if the pool owners have no actual policy on the matter I hope the employee in question was rightly reprimanded for their actions. Further I hope whatever the local equivalent of "Mumsnet" is get wind of the story and conduct a "feed in" which is what many women do to highlight the issue of breast feeding to an establishment who got antsy about it. Quite often when a restaurant or cafe or pool pick on a woman for breast feeding - they suddenly find a day the following week where 50 women show up and do it. I personally love when that happens.

Quote:
What I have a problem with, is them failing to identify with the rights of the other mother's at that pool. Yes, it's legal to do so....but in front of someone else's child, who may be older and not feel the same way?
Given - as you said yourself it is legal - what "rights" are you specifically referring to here? Are they actual rights or ones you have dreamed up yourself?

Quote:
I was at a restaurant, and a woman was breast feeding her baby, it didn't bother me....however, if someone had asked her or me, to please cover up, I would do so, b/c other people have rights as well...
Again what right is it you speak of? I am not aware of having a right to ask people to do anything of the sort. The way you are using the word "rights" in the OP and in subsequent posts makes me suspect you are using it erroneously and should be using a word like "sensibilities". Because that is pretty much all you would be protecting in that case. I can think of no "right" that you are protecting.

If a Muslim Family came into the restaurant and asked you to cover up your hair or face to protect their sensibilities would you be saying the same thing? Would you actually do it? What about _their_ (imaginary) rights? How would it - or would it not - be any different? Why would their "right" to not have to see - or have their children see - your face and hair and head be any different to the "right" not to see breast feeding which you are inventing here?

Bring your Burkini to the pools and beaches from now on just in case you are asked to cover up.

Quote:
Now these woman are suing the pool, b/c it is legal in that state to breast feed in public.
Oh good. And if the pool had no specific and indicated policy on the matter I hope the law is applied correctly and to it's justifiable extent.

Quote:
Why do you feel the way you feel?
Because I think rights do not exist in our imagination or for no reason. I think there are things we actually need to consider to be "rights" and we need to protect them. And protect them well in a world where people often seek to undermine or remove them.

But protecting peoples bigotry, phobia, personal issues with biology, or this never ending mission people seem to be on to protect themselves and their little snowflakes from offence - not so much.

Further - For me to be interested in protecting anyone I would want to check as I said above that the thing I am being asked to protect them from is actually something that can cause genuine and actual harm. Children seeing breast feeding? Yea - not so much. I am yet to hear what the dangers of that actually are.

Quote:
no one is disputing that, by any means, but the dispute is actually you telling other woman how they should think and feel..
I am not convinced anyone is doing that at all. Rather I think we are saying how the "other women" should act. They should A) Look away if it bothers them and B) get over themselves and C) mind their own business.

What they actually think and feel while looking away and minding their own business however is _entirely_ up to them and their own personal freedoms. I literally could not care what goes on in their heads or their hearts while they get all caught up in their own unjustifiable and nonsense personal hang ups.

Quote:
There are different rules in different homes and even in schools and that is what children have to learn to survive in the world...

....thats all, doesn't make that one woman right...
I think it does make them right. Because as you say children do need to learn there are different rules in different homes and institutions. But in _public_ there is - or at least should be - one rule for all. By all means make whatever rules you like in your own home. If that woman wants to come down to the swimming pool that I am also using however then the rules she has in _her_ house do not - should not - and until over my dead body will not - be made apply to me and mine.

Quote:
me, I would have taken my baby and sat in the change room with him....or her...but again, that is just me...
I prefer to feed my children in a hygienic atmosphere. Other than the toilets - the changing room is probably the least hygenic area of the swimming pool I could think of.

Quote:
surely wouldn't want to take a chance and expose a child whose mother is not for public breast feedings.
I do not see it as "taking a chance" at all. I see it as _entirely irrelevant_ what another mother is for or against. It simply has nothing to do with me - nor should it - nor will it.

Quote:
it's like saying to someone, your whole upbringing was wrong, and it isn't, it's just that people looked at things differently then.
Nothing wrong with saying that an upbringing was wrong. Many times it actually was. We are a constantly changing species and society. And we change because the ways of the past either A) were wrong or B) were right then but wrong now.

Nothing _at all_ wrong with that. We should very much acknowledge the errors or nonsense of the past and learn from it and move on from it. It does not demean the people of the past - nor should it be used to. We are a maturing species and people from an earlier time of our species maturity should feel no more embarrassed for their errors or silliness then you or I should for that of our own personal childhood.

Older people are not some sensitive little souls to be wrapped in cotton wool and protected. They are as robust as you or I. Do not demean them by treating them like children. Many of them in fact themselves acknowledge the errors and failures of their own generation. My own parents for example were brought up when violence was a common disciplinary method for children. They acknowledge themselves that was wrong - that they were brought up wrong - and early on in their own parenting career they changed their ways and broke the cycle of violence perpetuated by the generations that came before.

Only by acknowledging the rights and wrong of the past do we build a better future. There is no shame in this.

Quote:
a woman looked at me while the young woman was breast feeding and shook her head...as if to say, "REALLY". She was upset....
Well diddums to her. But people contrive to get upset over the most trivial things. Two men holding hands in a restaurant in enough to send some people into contortions of upset I have noticed at times.

Had a woman looked at me like that to try and find an accomplice in her unjustifiable hang ups I would merely have looked over at the young woman breast feeding and shook my head at here..... as if to say, "REALLY" about the judgemental prude that was shaking the head about her.

Having personal hang ups about breast feeding is nonsense enough without looking around the restaurant trying to draw others into your personal issues too. I wonder if she is desperate for validation much or only with breast issues.

Quote:
I feel that Americas beliefs are that we can go to a pool in a swim suit, and Muslims should be aware of that, that it's perfectly acceptable...but, not all are, and again, that's my point.
Then they will learn. And then - freedom being a wonderful think you see - they will have the choice to simply not go to a swimming pool again. What a wonderful world we live in where people do not have to go to places they do not want to go to!

Quote:
No you are not, but the vegan may feel you are....?
And will therefore be as wrong on that issue as you are on this one

Quote:
no, you do not, but we do live in a blended community now....and not one of us thinks and believes the same.
Nor are we A) required to or B) required to act in a way that pretends we are. Rather we recongise we are in a pluralist and "blended" society by creating one system of rules that apply to everyone and let everyone else get on with what makes them individual.

Quote:
Just wanted to point out that we all have different views, opinions and feelings about things. We all own our very own privet culture.
Yes. Exactly. But the moment you walk over to a woman and ask her to cover up - when there is no rule or law saying she should - you have stopped it being a private culture and made it public. So the person doing that is at fault - not the one they are admonishing.

We all have different views and opinions and feelings about things indeed. So we _ourselves_ need to mediate them and our place in the world. And as such if something people might do in a particular public place bothers me - then I simply do not go to that public place. Or I sit myself in such a way when I am in those public places that I protect myself from my own personal issues.

An example of this is one I will steal from another poster elsewhere on the forum as he put it well. I have a personal issue with seeing morbidly obese people forced into lycra cycling shorts and tops. It is a stomach churning horror for me to witness. Some of the beer gardens I go to however are often frequented by such people on their bikes who stop in for their double portion of chips.

Do I go over and ask them to put on looser fitting clothes? No. Do I go over and tell them to eat a salad instead? No. I realise that _I_ have a problem/issue. And it is solely my problem and issue. So when I go to beer gardens - especially ones along cycling routes - I choose my seat carefully so my back is on the majority of the people. So when these people roll in and roll into their seats - I simply do not see them.

_That_ is taking care for the feelings and rights and differences of others. By keeping my nose out of their affairs and protecting _myself_ privately from the issues and personal hang ups and personal disgust I know I have.

I do not go around with this sense of privilege like society and everyone in it is somehow under obligation to protect me from my own nonsense. If i did then just like the woman in the link in the OP - I would need a huge and healthy dose of "get the hell over myself".

Quote:
We're all human grown adults, and parents, and there is no reason why we can't act like mature human beings setting examples for our children.
Yes - and everything I wrote about is the example I will be setting for mine. In fact i already am. I will not be bringing my children up as part of the snow flake generation who get offended and upset at every little thing other people do - and act like they are some how of the privilege that they can demand to be protected from the source of their own offence.

The example I will lead for my children is that of do not _actual_ harm and live and let live. And if you observe people doing things you do not personally like - or appearing in a way that is personally disgusting to you - then I will be teaching my children to recognise that _they themselves_ have the problem in that scenario and they need to mediate their own reaction to it and protect themselves from it - in a way that does not bother - or ideally even register with or get noticed by - the source.

Quote:
I strongly believe, together we make things happen, divided we fail. Lets remember that, please.
And I would add to that - that we should therefore not create divisions where they do not actually exist and are not at all warranted. Lets remember that too, please.

Quote:
Life and it's miracles to me, is a precious gift, and we all get to experience a human experience, together and consider the feelings of others, in all things we do.
Indeed - life is a mystery full of wonder and awe and magnificent and the numinous. Which is why it is a never ending source of amazement to me that people can invest time in the most petty and irrelevant of hang ups like breast feeding. Some peoples sense of priorities seems way out of proportion with the actual preciousness and vastness and awesomeness of the complete set of life - the universe - and everything.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:39 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
I would certainly expect a place where babies go to be a place where you see them being fed. To assume otherwise would be like going into a bar and not expecting to see people drunk. Or to go to a zoo and see animals in cages.

In other words to cover up for _her_ sake which she was projecting vicariously onto children who likely A) would not care B) would not be harmed in even the slightest way and C) likely did not even notice to be honest.

All too often "for the sake of the children" is projection and someone trying to pass off their own issues as if they were someone else's. If someone wants to worry about the "sake of the children" perhaps step 1 in their detection algorithms should be "Does this actually harm or upset children in any actual way?".

Given they are legally allowed - then if the pool owners have no actual policy on the matter I hope the employee in question was rightly reprimanded for their actions. Further I hope whatever the local equivalent of "Mumsnet" is get wind of the story and conduct a "feed in" which is what many women do to highlight the issue of breast feeding to an establishment who got antsy about it. Quite often when a restaurant or cafe or pool pick on a woman for breast feeding - they suddenly find a day the following week where 50 women show up and do it. I personally love when that happens.

Given - as you said yourself it is legal - what "rights" are you specifically referring to here? Are they actual rights or ones you have dreamed up yourself?

Again what right is it you speak of? I am not aware of having a right to ask people to do anything of the sort. The way you are using the word "rights" in the OP and in subsequent posts makes me suspect you are using it erroneously and should be using a word like "sensibilities". Because that is pretty much all you would be protecting in that case. I can think of no "right" that you are protecting.

If a Muslim Family came into the restaurant and asked you to cover up your hair or face to protect their sensibilities would you be saying the same thing? Would you actually do it? What about _their_ (imaginary) rights? How would it - or would it not - be any different? Why would their "right" to not have to see - or have their children see - your face and hair and head be any different to the "right" not to see breast feeding which you are inventing here?

Bring your Burkini to the pools and beaches from now on just in case you are asked to cover up.

Oh good. And if the pool had no specific and indicated policy on the matter I hope the law is applied correctly and to it's justifiable extent.

Because I think rights do not exist in our imagination or for no reason. I think there are things we actually need to consider to be "rights" and we need to protect them. And protect them well in a world where people often seek to undermine or remove them.

But protecting peoples bigotry, phobia, personal issues with biology, or this never ending mission people seem to be on to protect themselves and their little snowflakes from offence - not so much.

Further - For me to be interested in protecting anyone I would want to check as I said above that the thing I am being asked to protect them from is actually something that can cause genuine and actual harm. Children seeing breast feeding? Yea - not so much. I am yet to hear what the dangers of that actually are.

I am not convinced anyone is doing that at all. Rather I think we are saying how the "other women" should act. They should A) Look away if it bothers them and B) get over themselves and C) mind their own business.

What they actually think and feel while looking away and minding their own business however is _entirely_ up to them and their own personal freedoms. I literally could not care what goes on in their heads or their hearts while they get all caught up in their own unjustifiable and nonsense personal hang ups.

I think it does make them right. Because as you say children do need to learn there are different rules in different homes and institutions. But in _public_ there is - or at least should be - one rule for all. By all means make whatever rules you like in your own home. If that woman wants to come down to the swimming pool that I am also using however then the rules she has in _her_ house do not - should not - and until over my dead body will not - be made apply to me and mine.

I prefer to feed my children in a hygienic atmosphere. Other than the toilets - the changing room is probably the least hygenic area of the swimming pool I could think of.

I do not see it as "taking a chance" at all. I see it as _entirely irrelevant_ what another mother is for or against. It simply has nothing to do with me - nor should it - nor will it.

Nothing wrong with saying that an upbringing was wrong. Many times it actually was. We are a constantly changing species and society. And we change because the ways of the past either A) were wrong or B) were right then but wrong now.

Nothing _at all_ wrong with that. We should very much acknowledge the errors or nonsense of the past and learn from it and move on from it. It does not demean the people of the past - nor should it be used to. We are a maturing species and people from an earlier time of our species maturity should feel no more embarrassed for their errors or silliness then you or I should for that of our own personal childhood.

Older people are not some sensitive little souls to be wrapped in cotton wool and protected. They are as robust as you or I. Do not demean them by treating them like children. Many of them in fact themselves acknowledge the errors and failures of their own generation. My own parents for example were brought up when violence was a common disciplinary method for children. They acknowledge themselves that was wrong - that they were brought up wrong - and early on in their own parenting career they changed their ways and broke the cycle of violence perpetuated by the generations that came before.

Only by acknowledging the rights and wrong of the past do we build a better future. There is no shame in this.

Well diddums to her. But people contrive to get upset over the most trivial things. Two men holding hands in a restaurant in enough to send some people into contortions of upset I have noticed at times.

Had a woman looked at me like that to try and find an accomplice in her unjustifiable hang ups I would merely have looked over at the young woman breast feeding and shook my head at here..... as if to say, "REALLY" about the judgemental prude that was shaking the head about her.

Having personal hang ups about breast feeding is nonsense enough without looking around the restaurant trying to draw others into your personal issues too. I wonder if she is desperate for validation much or only with breast issues.

Then they will learn. And then - freedom being a wonderful think you see - they will have the choice to simply not go to a swimming pool again. What a wonderful world we live in where people do not have to go to places they do not want to go to!

And will therefore be as wrong on that issue as you are on this one

Nor are we A) required to or B) required to act in a way that pretends we are. Rather we recongise we are in a pluralist and "blended" society by creating one system of rules that apply to everyone and let everyone else get on with what makes them individual.

Yes. Exactly. But the moment you walk over to a woman and ask her to cover up - when there is no rule or law saying she should - you have stopped it being a private culture and made it public. So the person doing that is at fault - not the one they are admonishing.

We all have different views and opinions and feelings about things indeed. So we _ourselves_ need to mediate them and our place in the world. And as such if something people might do in a particular public place bothers me - then I simply do not go to that public place. Or I sit myself in such a way when I am in those public places that I protect myself from my own personal issues.

An example of this is one I will steal from another poster elsewhere on the forum as he put it well. I have a personal issue with seeing morbidly obese people forced into lycra cycling shorts and tops. It is a stomach churning horror for me to witness. Some of the beer gardens I go to however are often frequented by such people on their bikes who stop in for their double portion of chips.

Do I go over and ask them to put on looser fitting clothes? No. Do I go over and tell them to eat a salad instead? No. I realise that _I_ have a problem/issue. And it is solely my problem and issue. So when I go to beer gardens - especially ones along cycling routes - I choose my seat carefully so my back is on the majority of the people. So when these people roll in and roll into their seats - I simply do not see them.

_That_ is taking care for the feelings and rights and differences of others. By keeping my nose out of their affairs and protecting _myself_ privately from the issues and personal hang ups and personal disgust I know I have.

I do not go around with this sense of privilege like society and everyone in it is somehow under obligation to protect me from my own nonsense. If i did then just like the woman in the link in the OP - I would need a huge and healthy dose of "get the hell over myself".

Yes - and everything I wrote about is the example I will be setting for mine. In fact i already am. I will not be bringing my children up as part of the snow flake generation who get offended and upset at every little thing other people do - and act like they are some how of the privilege that they can demand to be protected from the source of their own offence.

The example I will lead for my children is that of do not _actual_ harm and live and let live. And if you observe people doing things you do not personally like - or appearing in a way that is personally disgusting to you - then I will be teaching my children to recognise that _they themselves_ have the problem in that scenario and they need to mediate their own reaction to it and protect themselves from it - in a way that does not bother - or ideally even register with or get noticed by - the source.

And I would add to that - that we should therefore not create divisions where they do not actually exist and are not at all warranted. Lets remember that too, please.

Indeed - life is a mystery full of wonder and awe and magnificent and the numinous. Which is why it is a never ending source of amazement to me that people can invest time in the most petty and irrelevant of hang ups like breast feeding. Some peoples sense of priorities seems way out of proportion with the actual preciousness and vastness and awesomeness of the complete set of life - the universe - and everything.
Well done and expressed, thank you!!!

Old 07-24-2018, 06:59 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
After watching my wife breastfeed our two kids, alone with other mom in her social circle, i'm totally numb to the idea at this point. I walk in and a boob is hanging out...eh whatever. There's really nothing sexual for me about it at this point, so I really don't care. I've been in public and seen women breastfeeding...whatever.

Kids have run around, and many never bat an eye to it. Usually it's the adults that make a big deal about it claiming "it's for the children" meanwhile most of oblivious to it to begin with.

Now, a bunch of 14-18 year old teenage boys? Different story. But a wading pool with young toddlers? Most aren't going to care or notice.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:01 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
There are plenty of ways to breastfeed discreetly without putting a blanket over the baby's head. They have special tops you can buy or you unbutton your shirt from the bottom up. Or pull your shirt from the bottom up and when baby latches pull it down to where it covers most of the breast. The baby's head covers anything else. While I did breastfeed in public I did it discreetly and didn't have any issues.

We have some department stores in our area that have a nice, comfy room set up for nursing mothers. I would go there if I was out but then there are some mothers who are just plain militant about nursing wherever they want to and it seems some of them deliberately expose everything on purpose. Just ignore it and explain that's how mother's always fed their babies before bottles came on the scene and breasts became sexualized.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:06 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
It's discreet, not discrete. They are two different words. The one that applies to modesty or covering up while nursing is "discreet."

/grammar lesson

Old 07-24-2018, 07:09 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
There are plenty of ways to breastfeed discreetly without putting a blanket over the baby's head. They have special tops you can buy or you unbutton your shirt from the bottom up. Or pull your shirt from the bottom up and when baby latches pull it down to where it covers most of the breast. The baby's head covers anything else. While I did breastfeed in public I did it discreetly and didn't have any issues.

We have some department stores in our area that have a nice, comfy room set up for nursing mothers. I would go there if I was out but then there are some mothers who are just plain militant about nursing wherever they want to and it seems some of them deliberately expose everything on purpose. Just ignore it and explain that's how mother's always fed their babies before bottles came on the scene and breasts became sexualized.

Right, because why should they have to leave their other children, their friends, or their families and go sit in a department store dressing room to feed their babies? How militant to not want to hide while feeding their infants!

I nursed wherever I happened to be and nobody ever made a negative comment. If they had, I'd have told them where to shove their opinions.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:16 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
This seems like the right place to insert a grammar lesson in the use of "was" vs. "were".

Drives me nuts people can't figure this out.

You use "if I were" when there's no chance you were. Like, "If I were a rich man" from Les Miserables. He's not rich, and never will be. A man could correctly participate in this conversation saying "If I were breastfeeding". Because there's no way he ever will be.

A woman who has breastfed children would say "If I was breastfeeding". Because she has. If I was sick. If I was on vacation. etc. Things you have done before, or others would likely do. If he was hungry. If he were a redhead.

Carry on.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:53 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

They were at a pool. You know with bathing suits. Should they have changed into one of those special tops just to feed their babies? Apparently you would say yes.

Likewise, as they have other children, expecting them to drag toddlers out of a pool they are njoyong to go sit in a glorified bathroom while their infant siblings eat is also ridiculous.

Look away if it bothers you, easy.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
If you breastfeed in a bathing suit, you pretty much have an entire breast out. It's noticeable. Even people who don't care notice it. If people don't want commentary on what they are doing then discretion is key.

The lady was complaining about being embarrassed. We didn't see what the other people at the pool saw. I can't help but think, she'd also be upset if someone posted a photo of her breastfeeding at the pool on Facebook. She has a right to breastfeed publicly. I can't help, but think that maybe she could have been a tad bit more discrete and everyone could have been happy.
It is not a function of “commentary” it is a function being told she needs to leave. She was embarrassed that the police were called over something that is legally protected.

And posting a picture of a stranger feeding their child on your social media is weird whether it’s by the boob or the bottle.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I'm going to try and explain this one more time...and this is strictly my opinion and how I think and feel. I am not suggesting you feel the same way, what I am saying is, there is no reason on God's green earth to get all upset and attack other posters for their beliefs, which is also a very sacred thing. This is not a debate, this was supposed to be a friendly "discussion" asking for inputs and opinions...not insults towards one another because you don't agree with me or I you....

We all possess different opinions and ideals about issues....no two people ever think alike about a thing...however, someone wrote something very lovely on this thread, saying, "Breast nursing a child is a sacred thing". Yes, indeed it most certainly is...and yes, it is a most natural miracle of life.

However, when in public, if I were nursing, I would also always carry a diaper with me, in the event I had to nurse and felt the need to do so in a restaurant, or other public places, so as not to disturb or offend another person.

When we are in public, I feel it is important to remember that...be it, you think it's ok for kids to see, or not, you are not they're parent and neither am I.

Where I work, we have mother's rooms, where mother's can go in throughout the day and pump breast milk for they're children. I believe more ladies rooms should not only be kept a lot cleaner, which also involves women being more dedicated to each other in keeping those rest rooms clean, along with the establishment to provide a small room with a sofa and chair for mothers to quietly walk in and feed their children...if they wish to. I'm certain, not every breast feeding mother out there is comfortable with feeding out in the open in front of everyone. Some are, some are not....

I believe we could all look at this issue a lot more maturely, and together work at this. We can't all win, all the time, there has to be compromise, and concern for others along the way...and to equate or even think of equating breast feeding with a sexual connotation is lunacy. Lets go a little easier with our words, and stop reading things into this issue that were not even touched base on.

You may not agree with me, and that's ok, we are grown adults, and we're allowed to disagree, but to be nasty to each other, to gang up on one another is wrong...this is a discussion, not a bullying contest b/c I or some one else doesn't totally agree with your views. This isn't about coming down on someone for a lousy difference in opinions.

And this is my point...there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public, however, there are some older people on this earth, who did it differently...doesn't make them right or wrong...all I'm saying is, if it were me, (again, I'm not saying this is right, this is what I would do, so please don't get your panties in an uproar) I would cover up...just like when I drive or walk into a public place, or eat dinner with friends and family members, my phone gets turned off and goes in my purse....for the sake of peace and quiet, if nothing else...respect for the feelings of others, that's all. It is in fact, legal in most states if not all...

Knowing how I was when I was young, if there was a cause I'd fight for it, without any thought for others, I was right and that was all there was to a thing...well, that isn't always the way...sometimes, we all have to consider the feelings of others...like it or not...and if you disagree with me fine, but there is no reason for personal attacks of anger b/c I feel this way....I'm not saying "your wrong" if you disagree...and I really really wish people, would consider their words first, before writing something nasty towards others.

We're all human grown adults, and parents, and there is no reason why we can't act like mature human beings setting examples for our children. I strongly believe, together we make things happen, divided we fail. Lets remember that, please.

And one more thing, I've been around nursing mothers, friends and friends of friends, and a child while nursing doesn't care if their heads are covered, especially little tiny babies, all they want is to feed...so....

Life and it's miracles to me, is a precious gift, and we all get to experience a human experience, together and consider the feelings of others, in all things we do.
I have an older neighbor or who is of the religious belief that women should not wear pants. He was raised to think it was wrong. Your wearing pants bothers him. Should you wear a dress at all times in case you run into him or others who feel the same way? Out of consideration for their feelings? They are part of the older generation after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting