Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you cover up or not?
Yes 29 40.85%
No 33 46.48%
Not sure 9 12.68%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,839 times

Advertisements

The real issue here is putting an incontinent baby in a pool. UNSANITARY!

There is no such thing as an occlusive diaper. They were forced some years ago to stop claiming that they are. Babies carry a wealth of pathogens that don't get them sick, but will get someone not actively being around babies very sick.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:59 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I was born and raised in the US. And my 96 year old great aunt is the one who told me that she doesn't understand why it is such a big deal and that back in her day, everyone did it wherever(no formula) and no one thought twice about it. And she was born and still lives in a small Pennsylvania town.

How ignorant to assume that the only foreign countries where women regularly breastfeed openly are "third world." Ever been to France? England? Switzerland? Brazil? Italy? Heck I actually saw a woman breastfeeding in a Catholic church in Italy during mass and no one even cared. Educate yourself before you start enlightening everyone else.
Australia is not a third world country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsOy3vc9o5E

Old 07-24-2018, 09:01 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Australia is not a third world country
No, it isn't. More importantly, the MP in the video you posted was very discreet; she was not naked from the waist up, nor was her breast fully exposed, let alone her nipple. However, there are some women in posted YouTube videos who go out of their way to be titillating (no pun intended) in their "breastfeeding" videos, presumably in order to make money or show off.

Here is a still photo of the same Australian senator:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cp...6e701df0ec.jpg

Her baby's head is not covered up, but she is.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
No, it isn't. More importantly, the MP in the video you posted was very discreet; she was not naked from the waist up, nor was her breast fully exposed, let alone her nipple. However, there are some women in posted YouTube videos who go out of their way to be titillating (no pun intended) in their "breastfeeding" videos, presumably in order to make money or show off.

Here is a still photo of the same Australian senator:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cp...6e701df0ec.jpg

Her baby's head is not covered up, but she is.
You can see the bottom part of her breast. I think when people talk about covering up, they mean more than that. I think how she is is perfect.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:15 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Context matters too - she was in a legislative body, not a swimming pool. Forget the breastfeeding aspect, she would have been inappropriately dressed had she been in a bathing suit. What is "discreet" for one location isn't necessarily the appropriate standard for another.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Context matters too - she was in a legislative body, not a swimming pool. Forget the breastfeeding aspect, she would have been inappropriately dressed had she been in a bathing suit. What is "discreet" for one location isn't necessarily the appropriate standard for another.
? I think being in Parliament would require more discretion than a pool.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:23 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
? I think being in Parliament would require more discretion than a pool.
yes, that's what I was saying. She had the towel/diaper/whatever over her shoulder because a higher standard of being fully covered was required in that situation.

Someone breastfeeding in a swim suit in a wading pool should not be expected to drape something over their shoulders, or even over their cleavage, given how much cleavage is already showing in non-breastfeeding women wearing average bathing suits.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:55 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Sassy it's legal for a gay couple to show each other affection out in public correct? However if I take my child to the beach I surely don't want him sitting there watching a gay couple arm Or a straight couple for that matter making out
Would not bother me. In this often violent and hard world the last thing that I am going to worry about is my child seeing displays of affection.

However I _have_ seen such things happening in areas where there were many children. You know what I could not find when it happened? I could not find a single child even taking a blind bit of notice in the first place.

The number of adults who project _their own_ hang ups onto children to validate those hang ups is obscene. Most of the time the children are not only not bothered by the thing in question - they blatantly do not even notice the damn thing in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I don't understand what is so wrong about covering up? Its not like the baby is going to suffocate under a light scarf. some women are so dramatic
Some children do not feed that way quite simply. Suddenly having a cover thrown over their head can be unsettling for them. As it would be for you if just as you were to set into your meal someone threw a blanket over you.

A lot of breast feeding women are also very tired and emotional and stressed. A baby with a light cover thrown over it will often simply pull it off. Why should a woman - on top of all her other stresses - add that to their day? Constant battles and tug of wars with their child over a pointless and not required towel?

On top of this breast feeding can make the feeding area very sensitive on some women. It is not always a joyous occasion but can be a sensitive and even painful one. So having a settled and calm and still baby while feeding is ideal. Throwing things on it's head - for no reason at all - that can cause the baby to move and wriggle around will only exacerbate the woman's suffering. And for what? The hang ups and pointless moaning of others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Once again some people don't seem to understand the concept of common courtesy to others...
Yes some people don't. Just as going up to perfectly normal breast feeding women and interrupting them and telling them to cover up for some spurious reason they invented to cover up their own hang ups.

No concept at all.

Quote:
also has anyone even thought about the possible dangers of breastfeeding in public nowadays? It's crazy out there.Yes you're doing a natural normal thing BUT there are some people out there that are weird and crazy...you never know.
Firstly no - I do not see any dangerous with it. But you appear to think "stare" is a danger. If being stared at is the highest danger people have to be concerned with - then we live in a wonderful world.

Second however I would not think people should modify their behaviour that much in the face of bullies and perverts. That is one step away from Victim Blaming. Not my thing at all.

Quote:
I feel it's a very private thing to do.
Great. Then do it privately. The other people who do _not_ feel that way however can quite happily and rightfully and ethically do it publicly. And we can all just get along.

Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I see a lot of people who have a total disregard for others in public and it's only about them.
That is what _you_ see. What I see is a lot people who realise "regard for others" has limits beyond which coherence and plausibility and sanity break down. And being concerned with breast feeding in a public swimming pool is _far_ over that line.

Quite often it _is_ actually "only about them". But people like the woman in the OPs story make things that are not about them - be about them - by sticking their nose in where it is not welcome required useful or relevant.

Quote:
Your children may be fine with breastfeeding but maybe other children at the pool aren't understanding of it.
So what? What has the understanding of other people got to do with anything? Why do they need to understand it in that moment - for a person to be allowed do it?

Quote:
Of course the answer you'll give - well they should be told - but then it comes back to you feeling it's OK to tell others how to raise their kids but you don't think it's OK for someone to be concerned with something your doing.
We tell other people how to raise their kids all the time. This is nothing new. We even in some cases have laws on how you can or can not raise your kids.

But no - it is not required to tell others how to raise their kids. What they are being told is to simply mind their own business and get on with their lives and get over themselves. What they want to teach or not teach their children has nothing to do with me - but I will not be told what to do or not do just to facilitate those decisions.

Quote:
A lot of things have changed over the years - some good - some bad - lack of respect for other people and caring more about what you want than what may be appropriate isn't one of the good things.
Thankfully then that is not what is happening here. Because breast feeding is not showing a lack of respect for others. It is showing a refusal to allow them to demand things under the guise of "respect" that have nothing at all to do with "respect" in the first place.

A lot of things have changed over the years - some good - some bad - making unwarranted and nonsense demands and dressing it up in buzz words like "respect" isn't one of the good things.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:50 AM

11,769 posts, read 5,783,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Whether you tell your kids what's going on, when they see a baby breast feeding...it's up to you to explain, or not.

As a parent, it's part of your JOB to explain things to your kids.

You might have to explain why two guys are walking down the side walk hugging and holding hands. Or maybe you won't. Your choice. It's not going to stop two guys from walking down the street hugging and holding hands though.

You might have to explain why there's some guy on the street corner holding a sign that says "Will work for food." Or maybe you won't explain. But it's not going to stop the guy from standing on the corner holding up the sign.

You might have to explain why someone at the local grocery store is in a wheel chair. Or maybe you won't. Won't stop the guy from being in the wheel chair though.

Kids have questions. Explain it, or don't explain it. Doesn't matter. And it certainly isn't going to matter to the breast feeding mother what you think about it. Babies have to eat.
Just because babies have to eat doesn't mean people can't have a little respect not only for themselves but others around them. I breastfed my boys and never put myself front and center out in the public. I found a space that was private. This is just how the younger generation thinks today - doesn't mean your right and I'm wrong.

Younger folks today only see their side and don't even consider how others may feel or perceive a situation. They lack moral responsibility and have a me me attitude.

To the previous poster - grandmothers and women in the past did not breastfeed in public - not sure where you're getting your information from. If they breastfed - it was in solitary as back in the day showing skin was not something one did.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:52 AM

11,769 posts, read 5,783,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Would not bother me. In this often violent and hard world the last thing that I am going to worry about is my child seeing displays of affection.

However I _have_ seen such things happening in areas where there were many children. You know what I could not find when it happened? I could not find a single child even taking a blind bit of notice in the first place.

The number of adults who project _their own_ hang ups onto children to validate those hang ups is obscene. Most of the time the children are not only not bothered by the thing in question - they blatantly do not even notice the damn thing in the first place.

Some children do not feed that way quite simply. Suddenly having a cover thrown over their head can be unsettling for them. As it would be for you if just as you were to set into your meal someone threw a blanket over you.

A lot of breast feeding women are also very tired and emotional and stressed. A baby with a light cover thrown over it will often simply pull it off. Why should a woman - on top of all her other stresses - add that to their day? Constant battles and tug of wars with their child over a pointless and not required towel?

On top of this breast feeding can make the feeding area very sensitive on some women. It is not always a joyous occasion but can be a sensitive and even painful one. So having a settled and calm and still baby while feeding is ideal. Throwing things on it's head - for no reason at all - that can cause the baby to move and wriggle around will only exacerbate the woman's suffering. And for what? The hang ups and pointless moaning of others?

Yes some people don't. Just as going up to perfectly normal breast feeding women and interrupting them and telling them to cover up for some spurious reason they invented to cover up their own hang ups.

No concept at all.

Firstly no - I do not see any dangerous with it. But you appear to think "stare" is a danger. If being stared at is the highest danger people have to be concerned with - then we live in a wonderful world.

Second however I would not think people should modify their behaviour that much in the face of bullies and perverts. That is one step away from Victim Blaming. Not my thing at all.

Great. Then do it privately. The other people who do _not_ feel that way however can quite happily and rightfully and ethically do it publicly. And we can all just get along.

Problem solved.

That is what _you_ see. What I see is a lot people who realise "regard for others" has limits beyond which coherence and plausibility and sanity break down. And being concerned with breast feeding in a public swimming pool is _far_ over that line.

Quite often it _is_ actually "only about them". But people like the woman in the OPs story make things that are not about them - be about them - by sticking their nose in where it is not welcome required useful or relevant.

So what? What has the understanding of other people got to do with anything? Why do they need to understand it in that moment - for a person to be allowed do it?

We tell other people how to raise their kids all the time. This is nothing new. We even in some cases have laws on how you can or can not raise your kids.

But no - it is not required to tell others how to raise their kids. What they are being told is to simply mind their own business and get on with their lives and get over themselves. What they want to teach or not teach their children has nothing to do with me - but I will not be told what to do or not do just to facilitate those decisions.

Thankfully then that is not what is happening here. Because breast feeding is not showing a lack of respect for others. It is showing a refusal to allow them to demand things under the guise of "respect" that have nothing at all to do with "respect" in the first place.

A lot of things have changed over the years - some good - some bad - making unwarranted and nonsense demands and dressing it up in buzz words like "respect" isn't one of the good things.
No one needs to dress up a word like respect - it is what it is and lacking - now some of the hashtags lately show just how self-centered people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting