Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you cover up or not?
Yes 29 40.85%
No 33 46.48%
Not sure 9 12.68%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 02:51 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times

Advertisements

As Isaid before and reinstated I am not at all bothered by anybody breastfeeding their baby in public. I also apologize for not being able to get my point across. This was certainly not meant to be an attack on anybody who breastfeeds I'm all for it.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:52 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
so what your saying is, it's ok to teach someone else's child who doesn't believe in doing so. Or maybe they should be the ones to leave?

See, that's the problem I have with it...shoving my beliefs on other people's children, and other people who might be older and not have been exposed to it....yes, it's natural, yes, it's legal, and yes, I'm ok with it...what I have a problem with is defiance, against others.

I think we should all try and be a little more considerate of the rights of others....this is new for my generation, and even newer for someone older than myself....we were not raised to believe it is ok...and I'm not saying anyone is wrong for breastfeeding their child in public, what I'm saying is, that I think it's would be common courtesy to consider the older folks who are not used to seeing it...and were raised differently.

It's really not about breastfeeding in public, or not....actually....

Every time you take your children out in public, you are exposing your children to "teachable moments". At the local Walmart and you see an Amish couple. They're certainly "out there" with their belief. What are you going to do when your kids ask questions?

You're at the grocery store and a Muslim lady is checking out in front of you. Your kids want to know why she has her head covered. It's a teachable moment. Her religion is in your face. What are you going to do? Should she be dressed like June Cleaver instead?

People have a right...indeed, our country is practically DEFINED by being defiant about our rights. We HAVE to fight for our liberties.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:08 PM

10,226 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Cover up or not, if you have a Toddler still nursing, they will making a lot of SUCKING NOISE. Is that Ok as well if they are simply covered up in public? Good luck putting a blanket over a breastfeeding Toddler!!!

You mentioned Muslims and people not looking like you. I can remember the first time my daughter saw a Black person, living 50 miles from NYC. She was terrified! It never occurred to me growing up there, and then living in a Lilly White Suburb.

After that happened, I made it a point to take my kids into NYC to see other people of different Races, and Religions. What did I say to them? We are all HUMAN BEINGS, no matter what we look like.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:19 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
OP: I am curious what the polite thing to do is and why?
I am so very sorry I choose not to go any further with this I heard about this this morning on the news I thought it would make a great topic but I can see it has escalated into being a personal attack against people that don't agree with me and I apologize I'm very sorry again I'm going to reinstate I have nothing against breastfeeding nor do I have anything against breastfeeding in public.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:26 PM

814 posts, read 581,086 times
I don't understand this debate. It's not like covering up requires that you wear a parka and balaclava. Just throw a cloth diaper over your shoulder. No one will notice and you'll have your privacy. Not worth the trouble of some stranger getting their nose out of joint.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:26 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
It's not a personal attack against you. It's disagreeing with you.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:28 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
It's not a personal attack against you. It's disagreeing with you.
Yes just disagreement and bewilderment perhaps about some of the contradictory posts.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:44 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times
Being discrete can still be had. In public.

I recall a lady arguing with me on this subject. I said..oh indeed it's a teachable moment! I will teach you how to use a privacy cloth . She said how about I slapped a towel over your face when you dine? I said....while YOU could I liken such private and tender bonding moments between mother and child to deserve a bit more discretion. When I need to use a bathroom in public,I still close the door and do what comes natural the child's nourishment isn't being stopped it's being regarded when in a place of public gatherings. The door in the bathroom is just a way to be discrete. Im not asking a mother to feed in there...I'm just asking she use a bit of discretion.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:46 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times
OP,
Breastfeeding is so sacred and there is nothing lovelier or more wholesome. The problem is not with the mother it is really with the on-lookers who for one reason or another are embarrassed by it yet not forced to watch. If you don't want to see it have the courtesy to avert your eyes and go about your business. If other children have questions, well then, it's a perfect time to explain what it is. I'm sure they won't be traumatized by it.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:53 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Being discrete can still be had. In public.

I recall a lady arguing with me on this subject. I said..oh indeed it's a teachable moment! I will teach you how to use a privacy cloth . She said how about I slapped a towel over your face when you dine? I said....while YOU could I liken such private and tender bonding moments between mother and child to deserve a bit more discretion. When I need to use a bathroom in public,I still close the door and do what comes natural the child's nourishment isn't being stopped it's being regarded when in a place of public gatherings. The door in the bathroom is just a way to be discrete. Im not asking a mother to feed in there...I'm just asking she use a bit of discretion.
And I'll repeat again. Feeding a baby via breastfeeding is not the same thing as defecation or urination and breastmilk is not human waste.

I can't believe how many people keep making that stupid and disgusting analogy.

No, there is no need to go into a bathroom and hide behind a door - or a towel - when feeding a child, regardless of how the child is being fed. Unless you are saying that bottle fed babies, babies getting solid foods, toddlers being fed table foods are all supposed to hide that private and tender moment under a towel or behind a bathroom door?

No one is forcing someone to NOT use a cover or go somewhere else if they want to, just that busybodies with more opinions than sense don't get to force those opinions on others who were perfectly within their legal rights to do exactly what they were doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting