Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:50 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times

Advertisements

I have a 16 year old son, and lately he's been really surprising me with the music he likes. Which is sometimes kind of hilarious.

"I don't know if you've heard this song..." (It is "Piano Man." Of course I've heard it.) "...it gets me right in the feels."

or, "Have you ever heard of a band called Oasis?" Kid I know you aren't about to play Wonderwall in my car right now. ... You are. Good lord.

And he is in love with songs I had on albums when I was a teenager, but if I had been the first one to try and introduce him to that music, he'd have resisted it because if it comes from Mom, it's lame. He's got to find it for himself or have a friend introduce him to it I guess.

And of course there was "Africa." He likes the Toto version better than the Weezer cover. Apparently all the teenagers are obsessed with that song lately.

So, CD Parents, what are your kids listening to lately? I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 02:46 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
My 10 yo listens to a lot of music, mostly dance and electronica, which does present some challenges with regards to parental monitoring. She also likes Pentatonix and Imagine Dragons. In fact, we are seeing them this weekend. It will be her first concert.

My 7 yo loves Michael Jackson. She's watched Thriller about 50 times.........I love MJ, but that gets old real fast.

Last Spring, they had an 80s themed dance at their school, and my 10 yo asked me what people would wear to a dance in the 80s. I started to answer, but she immediately interrupted me, and said "No Mom, not you, normal people", so I completely understand your comment about about if it comes from Mom, it can't be cool

Have you seen the choral version of Africa that was on America's Got Talent recently? It was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBYlKEIGXJs

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-30-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 03:09 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My kids listen to a lot of the music I listened to as a teenager, Korn, Marilyn Manson, Type O Negative, NIN, etc.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:54 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
My youngest daughter (26) buys up old 45's and LP's at yard and estate sales and sells them at a flea market stand for a tidy profit. She enjoys trying them out beforehand (I gave her my old stereo/turntable). When she was a teen she'd go through my collection and play Kansas, Foreigner and ELO. Her current favorites are 80's music (Tom Petty, Duran Duran, Guns and Roses). She despises rap, but she also loves CCR, Joplin, Hendrix, and the Early Beatles (before the hippy hair and Hare Krishna). The "27 Club" has always intrigued her.

Earlier this month, she announced to me, "Alan Longmuir just died!" I was gobsmacked, I never figured she knew who Alan Longmuir was. He was one of the original Bay City Rollers (and a fixture on my bedroom wall 40 some years ago, sigh).

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 07-31-2018 at 06:12 AM..

Old 07-31-2018, 10:12 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
My boys aren't kids anymore. They're both into heavy metal.

My oldest favorite band is Metallica. My youngest loves Dragonforce.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My kids listen to a lot of the music I listened to as a teenager, Korn, Marilyn Manson, Type O Negative, NIN, etc.
I asked my son if he liked Nine Inch Nails, since I have a few songs I used to listen to a lot as a teenager in my present rotation... He said it was "edgy" music. He said, "Aren't they the ones who did that Johnny Cash song?" I told him that yes, Johnny Cash covered their song, "Hurt." And he was surprised because like a number of people apparently, he thought it was the other way around.

I said, "That Rick & Morty episode though, am I right?"

He was surprised I'd seen it and agreed...the use of that song was pretty powerful.

But he did not seem very interested in listening to my NIN songs.

That was the first concert I ever went to. NIN and David Bowie, from about the time he was collaborating with Reznor and making some interesting industrial stuff. I'm so glad I got to see Bowie live.

Oh, I forgot. He also apparently likes the song, "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:33 PM

675 posts, read 644,926 times
I never had kids and, at 42 now, don't want to. But it's a fascinating subject and dynamic.

When I was in my tweens and most of my teens, my mother was quite the rocker (father wasn't in the pictureA). Stevie Nicks, Heart, Janis Joplin, etc. Rebellious kid that I was (and one who really didn't have any age peers), I liked Kenny G and other smooth jazz and new age. That's what literally every single other parent listened to, besides my own.

Nowadays, I am discovering '80's and early 90's music, which is what all my peers obviously liked. And I'm finding, as some of you have posted, that the 80's are "cool" again. Not sure how I feel about that. But I do like the Hooters and Jesus and Mary Chain quite a bit. Plus single hits by many "wonders".

It's just kind of fascinating seeing times change.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:26 PM

Thing is, my teenager makes it horribly easy to neglect to spend as much time with him as I should. Like many surly 16 year olds, he can be very "leave me alone" and I suppose too often I indulge that. But what this means, is that when the opportunity exists for us to spend time together (there has to be a reason; I should create more "reasons") he will quite often surprise me with what he says or what he is into, that I had no idea. I cannot count the number of times I've felt like, "Who are you and what have you done with my kid?" Part of that of course is the series of identity sea-changes that a teen can sometimes go through on their path to adulthood. But I find these occasions of discovery to be pretty delightful.

Of course music is a significant part of identity, especially to most teens.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:03 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
My dd is almost 27, but about 12 years ago, I came home and saw that she had my Best of The Mamas and The Papas CD and she was copying it on to her iPod. I only knew the Mamas and the Papas because I had older sisters.

I said to her, "you know that's a 60s band, right?" and she just shrugged and said, "it doesn't matter if it's good music".

Old 07-31-2018, 11:15 PM

255 posts, read 183,973 times
I only have a toddler but she loves music. It's so interesting when they grow up and discover music you grew up on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting