Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 02:40 AM

7 posts, read 3,885 times

Advertisements

G'day! My five-year-old daughter shows an interest in chemistry and the natural sciences. Of course, it's all at a child's level, but I think that she has this talent for it. In general, my wife and I decided to give her a small microscope for children for his birthday (it will be September 21). But the whole trouble is that I do not know about this optics and there are no friends who would help. Can somebody advise a specific model or tell how they should be selected? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 06:27 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
How did she indicate that interest in chemistry and the natural sciences?

I’m asking because I don’t think a microscope is the best idea for a 5-year-old. The concept can be abstract and frustrating for a kid that age.

If you really are set on the idea, there is some great advice here.

Advice on microscopes for children

Other science-oriented gifts that she might like better can include age-appropriate lab sets and other hands-on kits you can google by setting age parameters.

You might also consider a membership to your local natural/science museum or enrolling her in a class or camp there.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:52 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
amazon has a whole section for science books and gifts for children by age and interest.

but I agree that trips to hands on museums might be better at this age.

Having said that my grandson loved his plastic microscope at that age. The things he could observe... leaves and bugs and rocks most of all rocks. one year I got him geods. and little kid binoculars. He loves them still...

Old 09-10-2018, 09:55 AM

Thank you for your replies! She has a little set with primitive fluids. It hinders them, but not just as children do, but in practice by formulas. She also cuts all sorts of vegetables and tries to examine them through a magnifying glass. Here we decided to buy a microscope. I agree about the museum. But still we want something left to be remembered. We reviewed on the Amazon PBOX https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2&tag=tcbse-20
* and https://www.bestadvisor.com/microscope-for-kids for a more detailed overview. I will be very happy if you share your thoughts.

Maybe I'm wrong to put it. Not only chemistry but also biology.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:55 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
How did she indicate that interest in chemistry and the natural sciences?

I’m asking because I don’t think a microscope is the best idea for a 5-year-old. The concept can be abstract and frustrating for a kid that age.

If you really are set on the idea, there is some great advice here.

Advice on microscopes for children

Other science-oriented gifts that she might like better can include age-appropriate lab sets and other hands-on kits you can google by setting age parameters.

You might also consider a membership to your local natural/science museum or enrolling her in a class or camp there.
Agree about the museum. DD and her DH got a family membership to their nearest natural science museum. Grandson (who will be five in November) is in Kindergarten and loves going there, It has a planetarium, and he's really into space and the planets. He can name and write the names of all the planets in the solar system...including the dwarf planets and the moons of Jupiter. The only dwarf planet I can remember is Pluto (which was a REAL planet when I was a kid). This summer he drew the WHOLE solar system with sidewalk chalk on his driveway (even included the dwarf planets and a bunch of small stones for the asteroid belt). He devours second and third grade level books on the planets, and is now asking for a telescope. I don't know if it's an interest he'll outgrow, but we'll encourage it while we can.

Encourage any sign of interest your child has in science, even when it seems they know more than you do. There are a LOT of beginner reader books on non-fiction topics. Find out what the child's major interest is (by spending time with them) and go from there.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:58 AM

Good. I heard you. Thank you for your answers. You really gave me food for thought

Old 09-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I completely second your decision to get a microscope for your child.

We tried to get our kids microscopes that were the quality I remember from High School, but we never were able to. This was before the age of the internet. :/

My husband had an electron microscope at work, and he'd take the kids up there and they would play with that thing forever. If she really displays an interest in a cheaper microscope, and you have the funds, I'd recommend buying one - it's about $300. So not cheap.

I had a microscope when I was about your child's age - maybe 6, and I spent a LOT of time with it.

We also got our kids a fingerprint kit. That, along with the microscope was fun. ;D

Old 09-11-2018, 08:21 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
They sell these little hand-held LED-lighted microscopes for $10-$12 on Amazon. You can bring it on a hike, for example.

There are also these USB digital microscopes in the $20 range that plug into your laptop to display items on the screen.

You can still get a traditional one, which if your child gets serious and wants to put samples on slides etc., you'll probably want to invest a couple hundred bucks in eventually. But the cheap gadgets are impressive for what they can do.

Yup, microscopes have really evolved since the old days.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:37 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
I have no technical advice about microscopes.

However, your child is interested in science, get them what they want that you can.

Don't listen to some fool talkin' bout microscopes are too abstract for 5 year olds.

My 7 year old knows half of the Table of Elements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting