Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 AM

52 posts, read 235,383 times

Advertisements

My son is 11 and has a raised mole/birthmark on the top of his nose. When he was smaller it just looked like a freckle but now that he is older it has raised up quite a bit. It is very noticeable from his profile.

A couple of years ago I took him to my doctor (he's retired now) but he said it was nothing to worry about, not dangerous or anything and that if I had it removed I would just be trading one mark for another (the white spot or scar that would be left). He still referred me to a dermatologist who also just kind of shrugged it off. He said the same thing. It was not dangerous and he wouldn't do anything until my son really wanted something done.

At the time, my son didn't want to remove it because he says it is his birthmark and he likes it. I don't think it really bothers him too much right now, but I'm afraid it's going to keep getting bigger as he does. It's right on the bridge of his nose and really is noticeable. And what if it starts getting hair in it?? My son is a little shy and I don't want the other kids picking on him.

I just don't know if I should press the issue about having it removed. I would like it gone but 2 doctors have said not to. What would you do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 AM

145 posts, read 866,488 times
If it doesn't bother your son, don't let it bother you. As long as there is no health concern, let it be.
Deal with the "What if's" when/if they come, and don't worry about them now. And please take care to not make your son concerned about it, he may like that it makes him unique.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
As long as you've gotten a couple of opinions on it and there is no health concern, I think I would leave it until it is a concern for your son. Did the docters give it a name? Also, I think I would want to keep a picture of it so if it ever does change, you could have the before and after for your Dr. visit. If you ever do decide to remove it, I would recommend visiting a plastic surgeon since it is on the face.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:50 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy309 View Post
It was not dangerous and he wouldn't do anything until my son really wanted something done.

And what if it starts getting hair in it?? My son is a little shy and I don't want the other kids picking on him.
I think that two important thoughts to put together are the two above. As long as your son will tell you when he thinks it's time to remove it, I'd wait and follow his lead. If you have a sense that kids are picking on him, you might want to ask him if he thinks it's time.

Good luck.

Charley

Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 PM

Thanks for your replies. I hadn't really thought much about it lately but my sisterinlaw took him to school this morning and she called me and told me she thought it was getting bigger and that I need to do something about it. She said she talked to him about it and he just laughed. She thinks it is going to start getting hairy. If it was anywhere other than his face I wouldn't worry about it.

He holds things in more than my daughters did. They are grown, he was a later in life child. He's not very social and I just worry about him. He's the bestest sweetest kid ever.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:25 PM

62 posts, read 312,183 times
Quote:
Thanks for your replies. I hadn't really thought much about it lately but my sisterinlaw took him to school this morning and she called me and told me she thought it was getting bigger and that I need to do something about it. She said she talked to him about it and he just laughed. She thinks it is going to start getting hairy. If it was anywhere other than his face I wouldn't worry about it.

He holds things in more than my daughters did. They are grown, he was a later in life child. He's not very social and I just worry about him. He's the bestest sweetest kid ever.

Hi Christy

Have to tell you I am going through the same decision right now. My daughter is 11. Has a small mole on her check and one on her jawline. They are tiny and if I was assured they would not change then I would not care. However, I have a friend whose daughter did have a mole removed. Said it was fine now but if later it grew and they then had to remove it the scar would be larger. Can't even notice her daughter has a scar.

So I was thinking that I don't want them to get larger and then have to remove them and have a larger scar. When I first mentioned it to my daughter her initial reaction was "no way, you aren't cutting anything off". She was scared. However, now we are into middle school and she is asking to get them removed. These moles are normal but are raised.

youngest daughter has a dark spot, not raised. It initially just looked like a dark freckle but it has definately gotten larger as she has grown. Not a big deal now but she is 9. She has lots of years of growing still to come. Will it eventually be a large brown patch.

Not sure what to do either. Don't want them to be self conscious about them but don't want to ignore something that can be taken care of now with very little scarring and have it become something more.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
From what you've posted about your son in other topics, I'd say leave it and him be. He probably loves having something to make him different from the other kids. You know it CAN be removed if it ever becomes an issue, so let it be until it does. He hasn't named it or anything has he?

Old 04-02-2008, 12:37 PM

Thank you, Kris. It is a dilemma, isn't it? I wish I had a magic ball to tell me what I should do. What doesn't bother kids now may really bother them when they become teenagers.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:38 PM

Regarese, I had to laugh when I read your post. Yes, sometimes I think he enjoys being different. No, as far as I know, he hasn't named it. But I wouldn't put it past him, lol.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:43 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
Quote:
Regarese, I had to laugh when I read your post. Yes, sometimes I think he enjoys being different. No, as far as I know, he hasn't named it. But I wouldn't put it past him, lol.

And remember that movie line-"Chicks dig scars" so a scar on his nose if he has it removed later will probably be a lot less traumatic than if you were deciding for a daughter. I had a mole precautionarily removed from the back of my neck when I was five. They may have been less careful because of where it was located, but it did scar. I also have a birthmark under my eye that my grandmother always had something to say about. I love it now-it's very Cindy Crawford .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting