Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 05:25 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times

Advertisements

Today, as I was stopped at a stop sign, two "normal looking" (not deranged looking, ha ha) teen boys approached my car to cross in the crosswalk and I heard one of them say, "Yeah, I want to have a party with drugs and weed, and stuff" - that was all I heard, but it made me think that "weed" is super expensive these days (in states where it's legal) - so I was thinking about that and wondering how teens get their weed these days - if they get it illegally or have a friend buy it . . .

Then I was thinking that few teens actually work these days, so then WHO is buying their alcohol/drugs?

Unsuspecting parents who give them an allowance?

This is all speculation. I have no idea . . . all of this inspired by a snippet of an overheard conversation.

What do you parents of teens think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 05:50 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I think you're reading way too much into the overheard boasts of a wannabe.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:59 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
I think there are a lot of baseless assumptions in your thinking.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
My kids get allowance and we do the thing where you have a jar for spend, save, donate, etc. the 4th jar is specifically for drugs and alcohol. That stuff is expensive. I teach them to save up.

I'm kidding, of course.

Where do you get the idea that few teens work "these days?" Where do you get any of the ideas in your OP, for that matter?

Old 09-11-2018, 06:32 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Those kids might have been blowing hot air, but teenagers do get drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana. Heroin is a high school student problem.

The money to pay for that is coming from somewhere. Plus, someone is buying it for them, at least the tobacco and alcohol. Those are not legal for teens to buy. It's not legal for them to buy legal marijuana, either, although there is a huge market in illegal marijuana which is much cheaper and no age limit to buy it.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:39 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Today, as I was stopped at a stop sign, two "normal looking" (not deranged looking, ha ha) teen boys approached my car to cross in the crosswalk and I heard one of them say, "Yeah, I want to have a party with drugs and weed, and stuff" - that was all I heard, but it made me think that "weed" is super expensive these days (in states where it's legal) - so I was thinking about that and wondering how teens get their weed these days - if they get it illegally or have a friend buy it . . .

Then I was thinking that few teens actually work these days, so then WHO is buying their alcohol/drugs?

Unsuspecting parents who give them an allowance?

This is all speculation. I have no idea . . . all of this inspired by a snippet of an overheard conversation.

What do you parents of teens think?

Most teens I know work during the summers. I'm not sure why you think otherwise. My kids didn't work during the school year. They were very busy with school, sports, and music.

We gave our kids an allowance when they were teens. If they spent it on weed I never knew about it. They did not have parties while they lived at home.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Those kids might have been blowing hot air, but teenagers do get drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana. Heroin is a high school student problem.

The money to pay for that is coming from somewhere. Plus, someone is buying it for them, at least the tobacco and alcohol. Those are not legal for teens to buy. It's not legal for them to buy legal marijuana, either, although there is a huge market in illegal marijuana which is much cheaper and no age limit to buy it.
Exactly. I'm not even going to respond to the posters in denial.

I was just wondering how they are paying for their drugs and alcohol.

Anyone who thinks teens are not using drugs and alcohol is in denial (not all teens, of course, but most).

And where I live, teens do not work - so if they are working and buying their own drugs/alcohol, that is one thing, but if they are not working and parents are giving them allowance, do the parents have any idea what they might be funding?

Old 09-11-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Exactly. I'm not even going to respond to the posters in denial.

I was just wondering how they are paying for their drugs and alcohol.

Anyone who thinks teens are not using drugs and alcohol is in denial (not all teens, of course, but most).

And where I live, teens do not work - so if they are working and buying their own drugs/alcohol, that is one thing, but if they are not working and parents are giving them allowance, do the parents have any idea what they might be funding?
I'm not in denial, I've raised three boys through their teens. Drug and alcohol use has declined markedly since mine were in high school. Even so my kids, and all their friends, worked, played sports, and concentrated on their studies. Just like the majority of kids do today.

Are drugs and alcohol present in our schools? Yes. Are they as present as they were even 10 years ago? No.
It's time to start giving teens some credit here.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...l-youth-trends

Old 09-11-2018, 07:27 PM

No need to get defensive. I was just reporting on a conversation I heard between two teen boys who were walking home from high school and it got me to thinking.

If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:31 PM

It isn't defensive to deal in facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting