Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It's a tough decision to do surgery on a newborn boy's genitalia. The fact is that there ARE medical benefits - greatly decreased risk of urinary tract infections, elimination of the risk of balanitis, greatly decreased risk of developing penile cancer and transmission of HPV to partners, 50% reduction in risk of contracting HIV, decreased risk of contracting other STDs, and elimination of the approximately 5% lifetime risk of requiring circumcision later on in life. In the newborn period, it's a literally 90 second procedure outpatient procedure with local anesthetic, completely healed in under 2 weeks. Later on in life, it's operating room, general anesthesia, stitches, much longer healing time.

Knowing ALL the medical benefits, I still found it a very difficult decision to make. I can certainly understand how parents might choose not to, not being fully aware of all the medical benefits.

I was in the "5%", and - sorry Mommies - but the pain and blood loss was considerably worse than a few minutes of squalling after birth. I hope that my Mommy and Daddy are spinning around in their graves with agonizing pain in the genitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 01:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Why do they make that choice? Especially if they have easy access to the procedure in a first world country like the USA? Do you compare these people to anit-vaxxers?
No, these people are not comparable to anti-vaxxers.

There is really no medical reason to circumcise a newborn. The medical benefits that were once touted are not really shown to be true. The risks of not being circumcised are not only rare, but avoidable with proper care of the penis. It’s common in the United States and parts of Africa and the Middle East but less common in Europe. The practice has fallen by the wayside in Australia, Canada, Britain and New Zealand, and fewer than one-fifth of all male Europeans are circumcised. It is becoming less common in the US as well. Remember that historically, in the US, the procedure was actually intended to prevent boys from masturbating.

https://matthewtontonoz.com/2015/01/...ar-in-america/

Quote:
Circumcision was used to treat conditions as varied as asthma, epilepsy, hernia, and indigestion. When reflex neurosis eventually fell out of medical fashion as an explanation for illness, other uses were found for the procedure. Increasingly, doctors said circumcision could prevent a number of conditions, including venereal diseases like syphilis and gonorrhea, masturbation, and cancer.

Quote:
The neonatal circumcision rate peaked in the U.S. in the late 1960s, at around 80-90%. Since then, the procedure has been slowly declining—in part due to the skepticism of parents who no longer place blind faith in the medical establishment and in part due to the profession’s own writings.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:45 PM

510 posts, read 499,836 times
If I have a son, my husband and I agreed not to circumcise him. I was actually the one who had to convince him believe it or not. I don't think parents have the right to make body alterations to an infant for cosmetic reasons, for the record I don't think girls should have their ears pierced as a baby either, my parents let me decide when that happened.

The medical argument isn't enough to convince me either, and I know the rational. The reality is circumcision caught on during WWII as a means to prevent STDs while men were overseas. Prior to that very few non Jewish or Islamic men would have been circumcised.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:51 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
when I had my first son almost 50 years ago, I was 16 and knew nothing about childbirth and even less about circumcision No one even asked me they just handed me a paper and said sign it.
It was not until later that I found out what and how they actually did this.
So, my next 3 sons were NOT circumcised .

Old 09-13-2018, 02:50 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Mine did. Nothing 'wrong' with their anatomy.
Ohh I do though agree how dare a parent make a decision involving a child's body! Leave the umbilical cord attached even! After all isn't removing the cord stifling them from getting nutrients?
All snarkiness aside,no harm no foul from some of us parents who chose circumcised procedures for our sons.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Why do they make that choice? Especially if they have easy access to the procedure in a first world country like the USA? Do you compare these people to anit-vaxxers?
Why would you do that when there is no medical reason for it?

Old 09-13-2018, 02:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
i feel really sorry for the children of these kinds of people. Usually they aren't athletes so how would they know what it is like for the kid who is really, really different than the rest of the 45 or 60 guys on the football team or whatever.
When my kids were born our doctor told us it was about 50%.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:19 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I wouldn’t circumcise my child. If they decide to do it later that’s their choice. Plenty of men are uncircumcised and seem to live perfectly natural lives. It’s a matter of taking time to clean yourself in a shower. It’s not that hard. When a penis is hard there isn’t much difference appearance wise.
Most females think it’s weird because it wasn’t that common and I bet a good portion have never seen a uncut penis in real life. So they make a decision based on other people’s opinions. It’s starting to become common not to circumcise a child. Imo it’s genital mutilation.
The problem is that the foreskin often cannot be retracted until late elementary school age, sometimes even later.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:21 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I was in the "5%", and - sorry Mommies - but the pain and blood loss was considerably worse than a few minutes of squalling after birth. I hope that my Mommy and Daddy are spinning around in their graves with agonizing pain in the genitals.
WHO | Male circumcision for HIV prevention

It's actually 60% risk reduction of contracting HIV. And if it's done with a lidocaine block, it can be painless.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:48 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
My logic is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

My boys were born perfect... why force them to endure a medically unnecessary procedure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting