Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 03:39 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,011 times

Advertisements

Wasn’t apprehensive and VERY happy I did. Even though I didn’t actually like kids much before having them, I knew I’d like my own.

And I still am not a huge fan of other people’s offspring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 09:41 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
Happy beyond imagination. You get back what you put into your family.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:53 AM

155 posts, read 119,049 times
Mine are now adults. I was very thrilled to have them and am happy I did. I’m still happy I did although sometimes I question how I raised them. They don’t seem very interested in me other than helping them with childcare and that hurts my feelings. I love them beyond reason all their lives. Now I wonder if I’ve loved a little too much.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 AM

178 posts, read 230,416 times
Was apprehensive about having at that time but extremely happy I did

Old 09-17-2018, 08:38 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Thanks...would love to here some men chime in...why do i think they may have a different take...well some...more than women I suspect.
Scared out of my mind about having them, keeping them alive, protecting them. Happier than words can express that I have them. If I had a time machine to rewind my life and correct mistakes or something, I could only go back as far as the day they were born.

If I could go back in time to that day, I'd try to do everything exactly the same, but I'd also buy a s---load of bitcoin so I could pay for their college.

...and a couple of private islands.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:45 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Not apprehensive, but pausing at times understanding that my "not apprehension" rather stemmed from societal pressures, morphed into unquestionable axioms ("I must have kids, it's a destiny"). Later, understood that I might have been a good candidate for the child-free way of life. But, looking at my teenagers, I am extremely grateful that they exist, and cannot imagine my life without them. So it's a mixture. Won't fit into your clean-cut poll.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:52 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Thanks...would love to here some men chime in...why do i think they may have a different take...well some...more than women I suspect.
I asked my husband. He said - not apprehensive beforehand. After I got pregnant he worried about doing a good job, but I did, too. Happy to have done it.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:07 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I was one of those "Never having kids, and gonna enjoy the hell out of doing anything I want" guys up until my mid 30's.

Now I have two kids and a step kid and wouldn't change a thing. I guess that would make me "apprehensive, but happy I did"

I still miss sleep, and having a clean house.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:39 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Not apprehensive and happy I had them.

I have to say, back then, it was just something you did, so I never even considered having a career instead of kids. I never gave a thought to worrying about whether they would be healthy, or difficult, etc. My last baby was at 34, and he was premature. Until that day, I had never worried about anything, but after him, I was afraid to have any more. Too bad, because he’s 11 years younger than his brother, and he’d have liked a close sibling.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:58 PM

765 posts, read 473,702 times
don't remember happy or apprehensive............ sadly, well..... this'll sound awful. don't judge people. please? I was hoping.

hoping.

hoping.

I was only hoping that the responsibility that a child would entail would precipitate a maturity he here to fore was not evincing................. and stop all the drinking. the biological clock was ticking, we were being pressured to have kids, married 5 years in.... i dunno. so i did what was suggested. had a child. that would click. he'd go from immature to mature. responsible. being a dad would be the magic key to open him to not only fatherhood, but our marriage.

there was no such thing as the concept "the disease of alcoholism". i had gone everywhere, we tried marriage counselling, i went to a therapist, as he convinced me it was all my fault.

i don't know. i was young. had no clue.
Of course it didn't work. i didn't know at the time he was an alcoholic. i saw alcoholics, they were all around me as a kid. didn't even know my dad was one. Alcoholics were those homeless men, those smelly guys, in filthy clothes, living in doorways with newspapers over themselves..... my little town had four bars, at any hour of the day you would see them stumbling out, falling down. passing out.

finally found Al-anon some 3 years later and learned there are doctors, lawyers, teachers, all kinds of people who have a problem with alcohol. ((((((((((((((((((((((sigh)))))))))))))))))))))))) )

i regret i brought my kids into that world, onto that merry-go-round. i cannot forgive myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting