Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 03:36 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Well being not I'm 100% ignorant when it comes to gymnastics, this gym and actually all the gyms within an hour from my house are "competitive." With saying that, I have no idea about their levels and such. I'm not looking for her to have privates, but at least learn beginner skills, like a cartwheel and receive corrections, spotting, etc.
Are there any YMCAs or community centers with gymnastics classes near you? Some of those are terrible, but I taught for 12 years at a YMCA with a wonderful recreational gymnastics program. And I'm not dissing all competitive gyms, just observing that if there is a hyper-focus on the team, the recreational gymnasts can tend to be somewhat neglected. Of course, the individual coach is the most important factor.

Trying out another class and another gym is a good idea. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 05:22 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Well being not I'm 100% ignorant when it comes to gymnastics, this gym and actually all the gyms within an hour from my house are "competitive." With saying that, I have no idea about their levels and such. I'm not looking for her to have privates, but at least learn beginner skills, like a cartwheel and receive corrections, spotting, etc. We have 2 more classes this month, so I'm only giving it until this weekend to see how this class goes, then I'm going to most likely ask to have her switched another classs. In the meantime, I think I'm bringing her to the other gym too, to try a trial class. Just don't want to feel like I'm wasting money...
There's a couple of gyms that we've done parties at. All have competitive teams, one sends kids to the Olympics. I think that's the level of competitive the other poster was talking about. The really competitive one is as they described - largely uninterested in really teaching kids that aren't going to be that caliber.

Also placement in classes goes by skill, not age. Maybe you could find a place that has more kids her age just starting out? Parents obsess about activities and start them younger and younger though, so it might be hard to find a class of "older" beginners.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:37 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,880,482 times
Did you mention this to management? How will they know you aren't happy if you don't tell them?

And yes, switch to another class.

The teacher's age is not the issue. Quality is the issue. Many of these kids are earning their own gym fees and some of them just aren't good at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting