Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:49 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,660 times

Advertisements

I personally loathe Social Media. Facebook, twitter, Instagram, etc are the bane of my existence. I have seen it ruin friendships and families. I've seen how destructive it is and I see very little good that can come out of it. My wife does have a facebook account but she curbs her use of it. She logs in just a few times a week to see some photos of her friends and family but I have other friends and family that are on all the time. They are posting pictures everywhere they go and share it with everyone. I don't mind the sharing of photos but I just don't like to see people bragging about how "cool" they are.

I have other friends that always need to tell the world about their political views and I've seen them have online facebook arguments with people. On top of this I've seen how kids have gotten bullied by online cowards via Social Media. I could go on and on about how much I despise it but I think I've said enough.

All in all the very small benefit of social media does not outweigh the many negatives. And my concern is about my kids when they become teens and how I can deter them from using it and would like to know how some of you are keeping it away from your kids. Please share your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 11:05 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,312 times
Keep your kids busy with extra curricular activites. No cellphones, no computer in kids' room, computer kept in area where an adult is present. Password to log in to computer that only parent knows. None of this of course stops them from accessing stuff outside of the home.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:53 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,772 times
You need to talk to them about responsible use of social media and make sure they know who can access it. Colleges are even looking at it these days in admissions. I don’t think you can prevent it entirely but rather teach them the responsible way to handle it.

The busier they are the less time they’ll have to play on it. If you ban them from it they’ll just find another way (use a friend’s computer and a fake name, perhaps). This is just my 2 cents.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
It's a different world, and social media is the way many preteens and teens communicate and relate.

If you try to keep your children completely away from any and all social media, you will run the risk of alienating them from their own peer group, which would be social suicide.

It's like anything .... banning your children from it is not as effective parenting as teaching them the proper way to use it. Fear is not an adequate reason for you to require them to avoid it completely.

Your kids may not have the same experience with social media as you. If you start now by helping them become well grounded with a strong sense of self worth, they can have positive experiences with social media.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:51 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's a different world, and social media is the way many preteens and teens communicate and relate.

If you try to keep your children completely away from any and all social media, you will run the risk of alienating them from their own peer group, which would be social suicide.

It's like anything .... banning your children from it is not as effective parenting as teaching them the proper way to use it. Fear is not an adequate reason for you to require them to avoid it completely.

Your kids may not have the same experience with social media as you. If you start now by helping them become well grounded with a strong sense of self worth, they can have positive experiences with social media.
Agree.

Honestly, well used, social media has been nothing but positive for me and so far, for my son (the only one of my kids old enough...aka the teenager).

You can keep them away from it, but it is basically the same thing as not allowing your kid to use the landline or have a friend over when we were all growing up. It's up to you, but it's not the best choice. The best choice is to teach your child how to use it properly while you still have some control.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
You need to talk to them about responsible use of social media and make sure they know who can access it. Colleges are even looking at it these days in admissions. I don’t think you can prevent it entirely but rather teach them the responsible way to handle it.

The busier they are the less time they’ll have to play on it. If you ban them from it they’ll just find another way (use a friend’s computer and a fake name, perhaps). This is just my 2 cents.

Good points. The things you say on social media that can come back and haunt you. For instance two MLB players' old tweets are coming back to light (Sean Newcomb and Josh Hader). I'd feel horrible if one of my kids lives/careers were ruined because they said something regrettable when they were teens.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I'd feel horrible if one of my kids lives/careers were ruined because they said something regrettable when they were teens.
That's just bad decision making, which is something that good parents teach kids to avoid from the time they understand the word "no."

Old 08-06-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
That's just bad decision making, which is something that good parents teach kids to avoid from the time they understand the word "no."

But sometimes the kid themselves will make foolish decisions because of their peers and friends. It's not always due to poor parenting.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
But sometimes the kid themselves will make foolish decisions because of their peers and friends. It's not always due to poor parenting.
Sometimes, sure. But good parenting mitigates the chances of that happening.

Either way, avoidance isn't good parenting.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Either way, avoidance isn't good parenting.

I disagree with your assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting