Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 08:16 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times

Advertisements

My dad didn't believe in any of the holidays, so other than going to Mass on Christmas morning, that was the extent of our celebration. If I whined, I got a spanking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 09:21 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
It's been a great way to reclaim the magic of the holiday, you know?

The year we went to Disney it was for a family reunion. We knew we were going a year in advance, but saved the surprise for Christmas. They flipped out! But I think they were just as excited for the Red Lobster gift card!
It sounds like you have a lot of fun with your family.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:22 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
My dad didn't believe in any of the holidays, so other than going to Mass on Christmas morning, that was the extent of our celebration. If I whined, I got a spanking.

Sad. Hope you can enjoy the season more as an adult.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:31 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
My oldest is 13, and none of my children believe in Santa anymore. That means my husband and I don’t have to do the awkward putting presents out the night before.

On Christmas Eve, I make rouladen with spätzle. We then each open one present before going to candlelight service.

Christmas morning, we open presents and have brunch (usually a casserole with potato pancakes). Then it’s off to my parents for Christmas dinner.

This year we're going to inlaws for Christmas in Chicago and then to my parents' for New Years.

Gift cards are great stocking stuffers. It’s so hard to shop for teens. You can buy movies that they liked this year or electronics. I’d stay away from clothes.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:21 AM

69 posts, read 176,531 times
Now that your child is older, the opportunities are kind of endless. It could be time to make a new family tradition. My family did Children's Christmas Eve Mass, drove around and looked at lights, then opened presents super early in the morning when I was little. However when we got older, we started going to a St. Louis Ram's game on Christmas Eve, then doing Mass and presents in the morning. I agree with posters suggesting that you talk to your 13 yo about what they might want to do. Some kids are super set on tradition and don't like the idea of change, but the child might have a fun idea as well for a new, 'older kid' tradition.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:27 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I just saw a thread in the shopping forum here asking if anybody had started Christmas shopping yet. Which got me to thinking. My baby will be 13 this year and is an only child. Our tradition is to go to bed around 9 or 10 and Santa would put the presents under the tree then we get up at midnight and unwrap and admire the gifts. NO my baby does not believe in Santa at 12 years old! I just made her do it last year as a surprise look what I brought and wrapped for you type thing.
My mother did this all my life with her even when I went to visit for Christmas. I’m not about to do that. I don’t think anyway. What are your traditions for teens?
I agree with the posters who suggested attending Midnight Mass, if your branch/denomination has such a practice. From what I heard, it's a very beautiful, joyful service. Plus, I'm sure your 13-year-old doesn't get to stay up late on normal days, so staying up for Midnight Mass can be a special bonus for her. After church, you can have cake and tea, or some other late-night snack, before turning in for the night. (I suppose you can go to a 24-hour restaurant, but I'd feel a bit guilty doing that, unless that night's servers are Jews or atheists. ) Then continue to open Christmas presents in the morning, minus the Santa factor.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:04 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I agree with the posters who suggested attending Midnight Mass, if your branch/denomination has such a practice. From what I heard, it's a very beautiful, joyful service. Plus, I'm sure your 13-year-old doesn't get to stay up late on normal days, so staying up for Midnight Mass can be a special bonus for her. After church, you can have cake and tea, or some other late-night snack, before turning in for the night. (I suppose you can go to a 24-hour restaurant, but I'd feel a bit guilty doing that, unless that night's servers are Jews or atheists. ) Then continue to open Christmas presents in the morning, minus the Santa factor.
Anyone can go to Midnight Mass or a late-night service at any church, whether they are part of that denomination or not. My church does a candlelit service at 10 or 11 pm on Christmas Eve and it's just beautiful. We are not Catholic, but we have gone to a Catholic Midnight Mass before, too, which is also gorgeous and touching.

If you wanted to go to a 24-hour restaurant and not feel guilty, you could leave an extra large tip. We tip extra during the holiday season and while we don't go out to eat on Christmas Eve, if we did, we would probably find it very joyful to give an extravagant tip to the server.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:11 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My kids just want money.
Ah yes, the Christmas morning Check Writing!

Old 09-25-2018, 06:15 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
We open gifts on Yule and a few on Christmas, which is spent with my in-laws. No real bedtime for the older kids, but 10-11pm is about right for them. I'm usually the one getting up early, and I also have smaller kids.

I've done 90% of gift shopping already. A lot of the gifts are joint gifts, as there isn't much they don't already have/want. Some decor for their room, anime stuff, activity kits, and games. We'll probably get them a few PS4 games. They get tons of stuff between four sets of grandparents.

As tradition growing up and as an adult, we went to the movies on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. We go regularly as it is, but this is a special kind of ritual. I love it. We also open one gift on Christmas Eve. These last few years we did a movie night box on CE, which usually includes new pjs, socks and treats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting