Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 907 times

Advertisements

I have a younger brother who just turned 17. He has been homeschooled since he was in the 6th grade (about 4-5 years now). By homeschooled, I mean his courses are all online and he has to go through it himself.
Since he has been home all the time, he has become very withdrawn. He spends 12+ hours a day playing PC games. He has been failing his classes for the past 3 years. He has lost all of his friends he had from public school. He no longer showers or cleans his room- when I mean he doesn't clean I mean he doesn't even use a sheet on his mattress (there is just a black indent in the mattress where he sleeps) His closet is unable to open due to garbage and dirty clothes. He has a pet rabbit that I believe is getting neglected-the cage isn't cleaned and the rabbit is left without food or water for days.

I am away at college/moved out. I visit home maybe once or twice a year. When I arrive, my brother ignores me when I try to talk with him. Last time I was home I said hello to him, he just stared at me and said he hated me before slamming him bedroom door in my face. He does not know how to talk to people and has few social skills. Whenever I visit home it gets worse. I no longer want to go home due to his lack of hygiene, his rabbit bed shavings are spread into the hallway beside my bedroom door and fruitflies from his room seep into my room as well. (since I have moved out my room is clean and used mostly for storage)

Amongst all of this my parents refuse to think there is anything wrong. My mother says that if he is failing his courses he can't get his GED and that "it is his own problem". That it is my dad's son and he should discipline him. My dad is always busy with work, he says that it was my moms idea to homeschool him and she should take authority. Regarding my brothers hygiene and cleaning habits my dad has threatened to throw him out if he doesn't clean up. This has not motivated him to clean. I recommend my parents to take him to a psychologist but they refuse because they think nothing is wrong with him and that he wouldn't want to go in the first place.

Before all of this my brother and I were best friends when we were younger. He has always been the spoiled one (not just saying this, he got his own laptop and iPad when he was 10, I got in trouble for things he did, he would intentionally get me in trouble, ect.) He was very outgoing, always ready to speak his mind and very intelligent in the subjects of math and history.

This can't possibly be just a phase. His life is being destroyed and I feel like my parents are doing nothing about it. I know it is hard for me to help when I am far away from the situation. Is there any way to help? I fear if I wait for him to reach out for help, he may never receive it. Or am I being just too worried about my sibling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 05:55 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,665,410 times
Sorry about your family. That's a tough one. I do believe you have an obligation to save the animal that is being neglected. If you can't just take it, then report your parents for this abuse. It is not okay. Please act sooner rather than later.

You should also probably move all of your stuff out.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:15 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,312,043 times
What was the reason they pulled him out of school? Doesn't sound like he is getting homeschooling or even any attention socially or basic life skills from your parents. My daughter home schools and works with her children and makes sure they are involved as much as possible with other children.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,029,124 times
Your brother has failed his online coursework for 3 years and he's still enrolled? ???

I guess I'll wait to see if you post a second post before writing a thought-out response.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:42 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,259,986 times
I would just concentrate on yourself.

You can't change any of it anyway.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:34 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,636,903 times
Diablo, World Of Warcraft, Divinity, etc, People think some of these PC games are innocent fun but they all have spiritual components of darkness that can be brought into one's life. The traits you described about him seem like classic possession. Keep in mind possession doesn't always mean Exorcist-like antics. Possession can be spiritual bondage and/idolatry to people, objects, music, games, etc. They all carry spiritual components that one can be drawn to for better or worse depending on what is being promoted. You need to take authority in Christ's name and pray and rebuke the demon holding his spirit captive. If you are uncomfortable with this or are non-spiritual, get someone who can. Death from a video game addiction (which is actually a spiritual addiction) is a real thing.

His parents are extremely irresponsible for allowing this to continue. Especially his father who is suppose to be a disciplinarian. Since your mother won't touch this, your father needs to make the time off from his job to get with you on a crusade to get his son and his life together. He may have to get physical if your brother gets nasty and lashes out. Shut off his internet, shut off the power, pull him off the computer, and immediately throw those games out of the house.

Last edited by allenk893; 10-14-2018 at 07:44 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 07:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,902,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Your brother has failed his online coursework for 3 years and he's still enrolled? ???

I guess I'll wait to see if you post a second post before writing a thought-out response.
That's what I wondered too. My kids go to online school and they would not be permitted to continue with the school if they were consistently failing courses.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:40 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,875,538 times
He's a minor and this is neglect. If you don't have anyone else who can intervene, a report to child protective services (or whatever your local equivalent is called) is likely called for.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:08 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,379,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You need to take authority in Christ's name and pray and rebuke the demon holding his spirit captive.
Thanks for the much needed laugh and just in time for Halloween.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:16 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,379,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That's what I wondered too. My kids go to online school and they would not be permitted to continue with the school if they were consistently failing courses.
Thank you for inserting some factual reality into this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting