Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:46 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times

Advertisements

Five trips doesn't surprise me for parents of babies and toddlers. There's some logistical obstacles like how much stuff can you fit into a cart with a kid sitting in it, or are you willing to push a cart and a stroller, or do you limit yourself to a basket? A lot of items are pretty large and don't last too long, too, like diaper boxes or gallons of water for formula.

Then there's the matter of how long is your kid going to last before they're too fussy/upset or need to have a diaper change or need to eat (I'd rather do a few short and smooth trips than one long difficult trip).

I imagine some of the trips are pretty short lists, too. Like "oh crap we need diaper cream/pedialyte/baby ibuprofen/formula"

And, especially on non-working days or for stay at home parents, sometimes going to the store is just an easy option to fill up some time and give a baby or toddler some stimulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 09:51 AM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
That’s weird. I have six kids and homeschool. I probably schedule in at least an hour midday and an hour after they go to bed, most days, for reading and hanging out with my spouse. I have to be intentional about it because I’m around everyone 24/7, but it happens.

It’s not that bad? Also, what’s up with all the grocery trips? We make one Costco run and one Kroger run a week, occasionally one little trip to pick up a pizza and more bananas in between.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:16 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post

It’s not that bad? Also, what’s up with all the grocery trips? We make one Costco run and one Kroger run a week, occasionally one little trip to pick up a pizza and more bananas in between.
Not everyone bulk buys and lives a suburban car-based lifestyle. I’d rather spork my eyes out than pay a membership fee to shop at Costco

When my kid was little we lived walking distance from any shop we’d need. A daily walking outing in the fresh air was fun.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
According to this same survey, parents reported an average of five grocery store trips per week? Really? I wonder why so frequent... I schedule just one pickup biweekly. And cook practically all meals from scratch at home.

Anyway, yeah, 32 minutes sounds about right.
I'm pretty sure that's about how often my wife goes to the store. I find it ridiculous, because she's always saying, well, gotta go back to the store now, and I'm thinking, "Why doesn't she just plan better?"

Whatever, I blame it on being scatterbrained due to having a 4 yr old.

As far as time alone, we do better than that, our daughter goes to preschool from 8 to 3, so we have that time for whatever. Usually I'm working those hours, but those are generally kid-free hours around here.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:22 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's about how often my wife goes to the store. I find it ridiculous, because she's always saying, well, gotta go back to the store now, and I'm thinking, "Why doesn't she just plan better?"

Whatever, I blame it on being scatterbrained due to having a 4 yr old.

As far as time alone, we do better than that, our daughter goes to preschool from 8 to 3, so we have that time for whatever. Usually I'm working those hours, but those are generally kid-free hours around here.
I'm pretty sure they aren't counting hours at work as free time. I certainly don't consider my time at work to be time for myself... I have 17 children to tend to here!

Old 10-10-2018, 12:41 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
We do 3-4 shopping trips a week. But we consume several pounds of fresh vegetables and fruit every day. So even a fully-stocked (like over-full) refridgerator is empty (except for cheese, yoghurt, milk, etc.) after 3-4 days.

Also, it's not like we drive to the store and drive home. We drive, walk, or bike to the store or market, then play in the park, then visit the library, etc. and then go home. Shopping is one of the stops while we're out of the house. I don't think we've gone home-store-home even once this year.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:59 PM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Even if it's temporary, it's not temporary like a busy spell at work might be. An accountant will be very busy during tax season, but then that tapers off a bit. It will take years to get out of the baby to small child neediness phase.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times
These parents "hid" from their kids an average of 4 times per week? Get a grip!

I thought there might be some component to the story of stay at home moms, but it was all full time working moms.

So. If the kids are in bed and the parents are done with all their extra work at 8, as the survey says, I guess they go to bed at 8:30?

Old 10-10-2018, 01:55 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Better that than to have 32 minutes with a mother-in-law.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:56 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Parents would have a lot more time to themselves if they weren't so busy scheduling each minute of their kids' lives and otherwise hovering over and micromanaging them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting