Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 08:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
<Shrug> Someone always brings up Christmas when atheism comes up.
I believe it was the OP who brought it up. He's going to be surprised when DS starts asking questions about Christmas.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:49 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
This is your personal issue. Other parents do want to know when scouts start and how they sign up.

It's going to repeat and repeat and repeat. You are setting yourself up for decades of frustration at not being able to control others. Some coaches pray with their teams. Some music teachers include religious songs. Your child will spend the night at a friend's house and they will pray before dinner. This is life.
Those other parents can contact the local scout pack themselves and find out when they start, it isn't that hard.

A coach praying with a team? That is a voluntary part of the activity and my child would not be forced to participate. If I found out there was some coercion involved you'd better believe I would be contacting the school, school board, or Freedom From Religion Foundation if necessary.

If he spends the night at a friend's house he simply has to remain silent while they pray. No big deal. The big difference there is that it is in a private home and not a public school, do you not see the difference there?

Old 10-12-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I believe it was the OP who brought it up. He's going to be surprised when DS starts asking questions about Christmas.
Am I? I'll tell him why we celebrate Christmas. For us it is a holiday about fellowship of family and friends and kindness towards our fellow man. I'll tell him that some other people celebrate it because they believe a man-god lived thousands of years ago. What's the big deal?

Old 10-12-2018, 08:52 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,185,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Those other parents can contact the local scout pack themselves and find out when they start, it isn't that hard.

A coach praying with a team?
Does anyone still do that? (Side note, it has always baffled me why people think God would care which sports team wins.)

Old 10-12-2018, 08:55 AM

271 posts, read 247,912 times
Just explain to your child why he can't be a scout and be done with it. This will be a subject that you will revisit again. And instead of complaining about it you should have just sat down with your 5 year old and explain and answer all his questions. At 5 he's not going to be able to wrap his head around about being an atheist. Communication is the key here.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Does anyone still do that? (Side note, it has always baffled me why people think God would care which sports team wins.)
I think it is most prevalent in football and as much about hoping for player safety as anything. Luckily I will not allow my son to play football because I don't want his brain turned into creamed corn by his 22nd birthday.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:59 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,722,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
My understanding of the OP is that he seems pretty tolerant of others religious beliefs but having his son recite an oath to honor God is where he draws the line.
I was replying to his post where he didn't even want the scouts coming to school. I take that as his first step of trying to control what his son is exposed to, at the expense of the organization and other families who want to hear.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:00 AM

407 posts, read 370,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I did look into it and unfortunately all of the local packs are sponsored by churches. Even if they weren't the BSA oath and laws still have the god piece.
I still would encourage you to speak with the leader. As others have suggested, you may be able to replace the word "God" in the oath with "community". Even some church-sponsored packs let the family of the scout work on the religious aspect (meaning nothing is discussed or done in regards to God or religion at the meetings) and you could use that opportunity to discuss your beliefs with your child. Explain what others believe, what you believe and why all the children can still work together on other aspects of Scouting.

Who knows, maybe if you get involved, you might help turn the tide when it comes to the religious portion of Scouts.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I was replying to his post where he didn't even want the scouts coming to school. I take that as his first step of trying to control what his son is exposed to, at the expense of the organization and other families who want to hear.
That doesn't really matter. An organization with a religious requirement has no place recruiting in a public classroom.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:06 AM

603 posts, read 445,252 times
Quote:

Yes, it does seem he is unhappy that the scouting organization was introduced during school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting