Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 12:22 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Our family doesn’t do the whole “Santa/Christmas tree/present” thing. I had no trouble explaining to my kids why. And guess what, they don’t care. That’s right. I am THAT parent who looked into my kids faces and said “Santa is not real”. And I don’t care if their teachers or schools talk about Santa or other religious holidays. I also don’t care if kids talk about Santa gifts, etc. Lack of info is not teaching open mindedness.
That's a good point. I'm Jewish, so we didn't celebrate Christmas - and guess what? I survived. I honestly don't even remember having a discussion about it, or ever asking my parents WHY. I just knew from day one that it's a holiday for Christians (or at least Gentiles), and we weren't one of them. If any kids gave me a hard time about it, I'd just remind them that Hanukkah has EIGHT nights of presents!

There were many other things we didn't participate in, whether it was for religious reasons or whatever... and like you said, we understood that "no" was enough of an explanation. But then again, I wasn't raised in this "never say no" generation of parenting. I'm in my 40s, and most parents in my youth had zero issues with that word. "Because I'm your mother/father and I said so" was also a very valid excuse for anything. LOL

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-12-2018 at 12:30 PM..

Old 10-12-2018, 12:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
They piggybacked it on Yule, which is a PAGAN celebration of the Solstice.
Careful interpretation of the gospels also points to a spring birth, not a midwinter one, making the chosen date fairly nonsensical.

This is a dippy semantic issue: "Christmas" is inherently, innately and inescapably a major religious event in the Christian religion.

December 25th is whatever anyone wants it to be, including a celebration of that event, but it's not strictly correct to call a family holiday with a tree and presents "Christmas." It's just convenient to do so, and like others here I'm really, really, really sick of the debate every year.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:26 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,413 times
Quote:
He's what I call a "professional atheist." Just like the Fundamentalists Christians are "professional" Christians. Its becomes all about shooting their mouth off and "protesting too much" and not about actually living out their beliefs and being a good example to others. The reason the "duty to God" phrase was never an issue for my dad was because he didn't go in with "guns a-blazing" and making a stink about it. He's simply glossed over that part and lives up to the rest of the Oath and Law because those tenets are secular in nature.
How about we turn this away from making assumptions and attacking me personally? Thanks.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
December 25th is whatever anyone wants it to be, including a celebration of that event, but it's not strictly correct to call a family holiday with a tree and presents "Christmas." It's just convenient to do so, and like others here I'm really, really, really sick of the debate every year.
Correct. I call it Christmas because it would be silly to call it anything else. I also eat corned beef every St. Patrick's Day and don't feel like I'm a hypocrite.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
He's what I call a "professional atheist." Just like the Fundamentalists Christians are "professional" Christians. Its becomes all about shooting their mouth off and "protesting too much" and not about actually living out their beliefs and being a good example to others. The reason the "duty to God" phrase was never an issue for my dad was because he didn't go in with "guns a-blazing" and making a stink about it. He's simply glossed over that part and lives up to the rest of the Oath and Law because those tenets are secular in nature.
^^^^^This^^^^^

Also using the son as a tool to make some big dramatic point. The victim in this is an innocent 5 year old boy who just wanted to be with this friends. That is all he will remember. The God part will be lost quickly for the little boy.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Op, you seem to be more anti-theist than an atheist. You seem to be more annoyed that The BSA EXISTS than your son joining.
I'm fine with their existence but wish they would change that rule. I do take issue with them recruiting during class time until they change that rule.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:33 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, why not seek out other venues in your community for group activities for children? Someone suggested community centers, the Parks Department may have kids' activity groups, and so forth. Or get together with a couple of other parents who have small children, and organize your own group. I appreciate your stand, btw; I'm glad my parents didn't make me join the scouts. My brothers were in the cub scouts, but I wouldn't have been comfortable with an oath like that, as a kid.

I've never heard of the Scouts or any private organization coming into public OR private schools to recruit members. That sounds highly irregular. Why was thet allowed? Why was it even necessary? Is membership declining? Don't they know how to do outreach through private means? Why don't they set up a kiosk in the mall, if they're that hard up?
Do a C-D search on the threads dealing with their allowing girls to join, as that has been discussed at length. Declining enrollment is one of the chief reasons.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
^^^^^This^^^^^

Also using the son as a tool to make some big dramatic point. The victim in this is an innocent 5 year old boy who just wanted to be with this friends. That is all he will remember. The God part will be lost quickly for the little boy.
I don't use or abuse my children in any way and never will. Suggesting this is an insult.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Those other parents can contact the local scout pack themselves and find out when they start, it isn't that hard.

A coach praying with a team? That is a voluntary part of the activity and my child would not be forced to participate. If I found out there was some coercion involved you'd better believe I would be contacting the school, school board, or Freedom From Religion Foundation if necessary.

If he spends the night at a friend's house he simply has to remain silent while they pray. No big deal. The big difference there is that it is in a private home and not a public school, do you not see the difference there?
So you are indoctrinating him. He doesn't get to decide what he wants to do as far as his beliefs and practices are concerned. Got it. Very free thinking.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
So you are indoctrinating him. He doesn't get to decide what he wants to do as far as his beliefs and practices are concerned. Got it. Very free thinking.
You are incorrect. I am preventing him from being indoctrinated. Young children do not have the proper intellectual tools to avoid being manipulated and indoctrinated. Once he is actually developed enough to understand religious doctrine he can asses its merits on his own. If he finds it convincing he will be a believer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting