Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 09:25 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I can't believe that posters have been stating that the Boy Scouts are a Christian fundamentalist organization and no one has challenged that. That's nonsense and if you believe that, you know nothing about scouts. Yes, there are scout troops chartered by churches--all kinds of churches, not just Christian and certainly not all fundamentalist--and there are many troops that are not.
Good points. I was at a summer camp where we had a Jewish troop in attendance. They even led us in a traditional Hebrew prayer before dinner.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:37 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I can't believe that posters have been stating that the Boy Scouts are a Christian fundamentalist organization and no one has challenged that. That's nonsense and if you believe that, you know nothing about scouts. Yes, there are scout troops chartered by churches--all kinds of churches, not just Christian and certainly not all fundamentalist--and there are many troops that are not.

Yep, there are Muslim scout troops, Jewish scout troops, and members of both of those faiths that are in "regular" scout troops.

In fact there's an entire association (National Jewish Committee on Scouting) dedicated to connecting Jewish youth with Boy Scouts of America troops and programs (and one for girls as well).

Old 10-14-2018, 10:38 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
An organization recently visited my five year old son's kindergarten class to recruit new members. The parent representing the organization understandably told the kids about all of the fun things the organization does such as camping trips, nature center visits, etc. My son of course came home excited and told us he wants to sign up.

The problem is that my family does not meet the membership requirements of this organization. My son could not truthfully recite the oath and I couldn't participate as a leader in the group without lying when reciting the oath.

I was actually a member of this organization as a child and I enjoyed it for several years. I would love for my son and family to participate but I don't want to sell out my ideals to do so, nor do I want to teach my son to be dishonest.

I really wish the group would be accepting of us as I think it has many good qualities. I've thought about letting my son join anyway but I would honestly feel very conflicted about it. I do fear he will be jealous when he hears some of his classmates talk about the fun they have being in this group.

What would all of you do? Would you compromise your ideals so your child could be part of a group? I really am torn here.

You were a member of the organization at some point, but don't want to sell out YOUR ideals by allowing your son to do something HE wants to do and become a member? Really?

I guess your son isn't allowed to experience life and form his own opinions then?

Unless it is some sort of radical stuff that might cause your son harm, then aren't you selling your son out because what he wants is different from what you want?

As a parent, your life SHOULD be all about him. His life shouldn't always conform to be all about you.

Im worried for you. He can always rebel and reject you and your ideals altogether. That happens when young children feel smothered for no good reason except to once again be able to say 'no' to someone you otherwise claim to love.

Best wishes to you both.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:26 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Pure nonsense. The OP didn't do anything wrong, it has nothing to do with this thread and calling it "very valid" is honestly laughable. Just drop it.
Do you not comprehend that in taking marriage vows you take an oath?

He is objecting to his son taking an oath.

It is quite valid and a little ironic, and inconsistent.

He insists his son follow the "letter of the law," but he allows himself all kinds of loopholes.

He, himself was a scout and enjoyed it!

He refuses to give his son that opportunity.

His son is going to live in an atheist vacuum.

It is sad for his son who WANTS to join. As a parent, I can't imagine depriving my child of something positive "for his own good."

Old 10-14-2018, 11:30 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Quote:
That is the problem right there, he can't. The more I think about it the more I am angry with the school for allowing them to recruit during class time. An email to the principal is in order, I don't want this scenario repeating its self in first grade next year, or when my younger child starts school.

Well, brace yourself because it will repeat every year.

There is no need to deny scout information to everyone else because you don't want to tell your son that he can't join.

You should contact someone in your local organization. They may allow kids to substitute "God" to whatever they want. The girl scouts allow it. https://www.girlscouts.org/en/about-...ho-we-are.html

Old 10-14-2018, 11:42 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Would you yourself refuse to testify in court if you had to be sworn in with the words "So help me God"?
To my knowledge the oath does not have to contain any reference to a god if the witness informs the court.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:53 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Edit: I just read this and have changed my mind. It seems the BSA has gotten more strenuous in their believe in God crap.

I now agree with the OP. It's a shame adults feel the need to force young children to become cult members.

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/20...-god-scouting/

Original post:

You don't want your son to be forced to say he will do his duty to God, but you are forcing him to be an atheist.

Seems wrong somehow.

As an example, I was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout. My mother was never a leader so she never had to say the oath, and believe me, she would not have done so if asked. She allowed me to because she believed that I should decide on my own.

I went to church twice as a child. I went with the family across the street. I cannot remember the "proper" name, but I've always called them Holy Rollers. My apologies if that is offensive to some. It was a blast! Singing, shouting, people rolling in the aisle speaking in a strange language. I really enjoyed it. I described it to my mother the second time I came home. Didn't go again. She told me i could go to church if I wanted to, but that was not the place to start.

I was asked in grade school what religion I was. I had to ask her. She told to just say Protestant.

So the gist of all this is that she let me decide what to do about a belief in God and religion.

I'm an Agnostic leaning towards Atheist.

Let your son find his own way. He will possibly feel resentment if you deny this to him and that may eventually lead to a dislike of Atheism. It's a narrow path. Tread carefully.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 10-14-2018 at 12:04 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 01:42 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You don't have a problem. tell your child "we" don't believe in god and any organization that acknowledges god is against "our" beliefs. but, I assume you are consistent with eschewing all contact with any groups or individuals who don't completely share your beliefs and values so your child doesn't get confused about what people and values he must strictly avoid at 5 years old.
No we do not avoid individuals who do not share our beliefs? Why would we? Unless they are pressuring us to participate in their rituals or adopt their belief system why would we?

Old 10-14-2018, 01:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
No we do not avoid individuals who do not share our beliefs? Why would we? Unless they are pressuring us to participate in their rituals or adopt their belief system why would we?
We are the same in our relationships with others. Our best friends where we lived before were in a nutball crazy church, but we saw them all the time. As long as they didn't try to "convert" us. Start in wanting me to believe the insane crap you do? Buh bye.

Every Blood Moon I was treated to a half hour End of the World speech. Silence after nothing happened. I just listened. And waited. Then we had food and played games.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
How can you be friends with someone who believes "insane crap"? Sounds like you think you're smarter than them. That's not a good basis for friendship, to feel superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting