Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 11:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times

Advertisements

They will never make the change you demand, as it a core belief of scouting.

You want to against the majority, that is you right. If you do, quit complaining others are not making changes in their beliefs and standards, just because you choose another path.
Many scout troops are church sponsored or scouting would no longer exist. In many parts of the country, it the churches that supply meeting rooms,etc., or the troop would not even exist. I It does not matter which church you attend, but have a basic belief in god.

You choose another path, which is your right, so put your child in to an Athirst club and quit complaining about others not giving up their beliefs to fit your child in.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:20 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
There's a lot of very defensive Christians in this thread. None of you would let your kids take an anti-Jesus oath (you know, an oath that runs strongly counter to your personal beliefs?) to join an otherwise great organization that teaches camping and leadership skills.

Try walking a mile in someone else's viewpoint sometime.
I guess I fall under the "defensive atheists" group. I support our children in whatever they decide... given viewpoints of everyone. I'm not going to let one single oath rule out, or in, their participation.

I let the outside viewpoints contribute to our youngest's outlook, which has waivered between belief and disbelief, and we discussed each outlook.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 AM

334 posts, read 188,337 times
Well, the US money has "In God We Trust" written on it. Are you going to stop your son from using money as well? I mean really...let the child have fun and he can make up his own mind. The standard of the education system has been tremendously lowered. I don't know if they teach about the great scientist from the past. When your son starts school and if they teach about Einsten, Galileo, Sir Francis Bacon, or Nicholas Copernicus (who all believed in God) what will you do? You can't MAKE your son believe or disbelieve in God. And what if you are wrong? Just because you haven't proved God to yourself doesn't mean God doesn't exist. Luckily, God's existence doesn't depend upon whether we believe or not. Let your son be....! Good Luck...

Last edited by Propop; 10-15-2018 at 01:54 AM..

Old 10-15-2018, 05:09 AM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Kids should be able to have fun. Let the child make his own decision about God, once he is an adult.

I have a friend who was raised by atheist parents, yet as an adult, she is fairly religious. I know others, who were raised as Christians, but are now agnostic or atheists. You can only teach him to think for himself, what conclusions he will draw, will be his own.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:01 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBunker View Post
2. Don't call your child an athiest, this is UNTRUE. He is 5 years old
My child is an atheist. All that means is he does not believe in god, nothing more, nothing less. You know what? Every newborn baby you've ever held was also an atheist at that point in their life.

Why do some people seem to have a problem with stating that my child is an atheist? There is some stigma around the word for some reason, would it help you if I said nonbeliever or non theist? Sheesh.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:46 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Thread closed due to pending moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting