Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:08 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
It is often said, guns don't kill people. If that is the case then they don't save lives, either.

Ridiculous statement...

No gun has ever jumped up from a table and killed someone. A gun is an inanimate object. So is a knife. So is a bat. So is a hatchet. So is a machete. You can kill someone with any of those as well.

More people die from cars and also from medical mistakes made by doctors. Maybe we should ban those things? If you were serious about saving lives, why not?

If someone wants to kill someone, they will find a way. If someone wants to kill themselves, they will find a way. A good majority of "deaths by guns" stats are actually suicides.

It is interesting that cities with the toughest gun laws tend to have higher violent crime rates, and higher murder rates. People cannot defend themselves. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 10:36 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Ridiculous statement...

No gun has ever jumped up from a table and killed someone. A gun is an inanimate object. So is a knife. So is a bat. So is a hatchet. So is a machete. You can kill someone with any of those as well.

More people die from cars and also from medical mistakes made by doctors. Maybe we should ban those things? If you were serious about saving lives, why not?

If someone wants to kill someone, they will find a way. If someone wants to kill themselves, they will find a way. A good majority of "deaths by guns" stats are actually suicides.

It is interesting that cities with the toughest gun laws tend to have higher violent crime rates, and higher murder rates. People cannot defend themselves. Why is that?

A gun is specifically a weapon designed to kill. Designed to kill. An actual intended weapon. It does that very well.

Accidental deaths resulting from cars are incidental to car use - cars have a huge non-death functional role - moving people around. The role of the gun is to kill. Medical errors lead to deaths - again incidental to the intent and practice of saving peoples lives, which is what medicine does. Your "ridiculous statement" accusation is pretty rich coming from someone who thinks that a weapon specially designed to efficiently kill is somehow analogous to a car or a medical procedure. What kind of specious logic is that? You can't actually believe it. Its an argument for the high school debating team, not an adult.

How about hand grenades (you know, another type of arms both carry-able and extant and known at the time the 2nd Amendment was written). Grenades don't kill people right? You'd be entirely happy distributing grenades in society telling everyone how to use them, because its not grenades that kill people its people. Kids should learn good grenade practice at a young age, for sure. Wait - a weapon specifically designed to cause death and destruction? Equivalent to a car right? More grenades will make society safer. Sounds sensible.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:45 AM

I am just trying to use your ridiculous antigun logic - to show how absurd it is to the end...

No one here is going to change the mind of someone on the other side. And, it is a waste of time to assume so...

Old 11-01-2018, 12:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Ridiculous statement...

The bold is not true.

Chicago got its reputation for having the toughest laws in the country because of two laws that are no longer on the books. The city used to have a gun registry, but that ended in 2013 when the city council voted to adopt the state’s concealed-carry laws. And in 2010, a federal appeals court struck down Chicago’s decades-old handgun ban.

Tough laws don’t keep guns from being purchased in other states.

You are correct that most gun deaths are suicides, but Louisiana and Mississippi have the highest rates of gun homicides.

https://www.safehome.org/resources/gun-laws-and-deaths/

Quote:
Florida passed a Stand Your Ground law in 2005, and saw a sharp 32% increase in gun-related homicides over the 10 years to follow. 23 other states passed stand your ground laws between 2006 and 2011. Florida appears to be the most dramatic example of a relationship between Stand Your Ground and gun deaths.
Quote:
Southern states along the Mississippi River have consistently reported some of the highest rates of firearm deaths. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee and Arkansas currently fall within the top 10 for firearm deaths. One legislative similarity that all of these states share is that none of them require license, registration or permit to buy a gun, though there are dozens of other states with the same regulations. Still, the states surrounding the Mississippi River Delta were rated as some of the most lenient in terms of gun law stringency, according to Crimadvisor.
Quote:
Washington and Rhode Island have some of the most restrictive gun laws in the U.S., they fall on the lower end of firearm death rates in the country.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:09 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
If he and his son spent all their time exclusively with fishing and fishing poles, would you be equally upset?

Or exclusively with bicycles and bicycling?

Or exclusively with chess sets and chess playing?

Or exclusively with a French horn and practicing and playing classical music in a local orchestra?
Actually, I know no one who does this. The people I call friends are well-rounded individuals. When someone's posted pictures all center on them doing one activity, it gets deeply weird.

Even my friends who are dog-obsessed post about other things than dog sports. They go riding and hiking or they cook things.

If guns are the only activity that this father and son share, there's something kind of sad about that. And if it's because the kid ONLY wants to spend his time shooting and cleaning guns, that might be a red flag, especially if they used to do a lot of other activities together and suddenly things narrowed down to this one thing.

Could be nothing, but yeah, when one activity eats a person's whole life, it's concerning.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:21 PM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
I mean - I will give it to him and he can store it with him. It will totally be his.

And, I suspect you knew exactly what I DID mean - you just want to be provocative, and you hate guns. That shows thru right there.
You said it I didnt... but yes I dont like guns. your right there.. still I think our police should have them in the UK....

Old 11-01-2018, 12:59 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
You said it I didnt... but yes I dont like guns. your right there.. still I think our police should have them in the UK....
I could not hold a chuckle. Sir, please quit what you are doing because it is not right. I am a Bobby and wear a funny hat. Is that an Uzzi you are pointing at me? ....".

There will always be pro and anti gun discussions.

I see guns as beautiful works of art, often good financial investments and ways to be entertained. Respect what can be done with a gun, know how to handle it, store it and keep it in good shape. As far as kids are concerned - everything that is off limits is desirable. Have them clean 25 filthy black powder rifles after a shooting match and some of the desire will wear off. As far as the socalled assault weapons are concerned - quite a few folks with good ol' rifles outshoot them in competitions.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:02 PM

Just to make some of you happy, I may go by the gunstore and buy another gun today

In truth, I could easily post opposing statistics. I have read opposing reasearch. But, I am not going to waste my time researching the links when no one here is going to change their mind anyway. And, the thing about statistics is that each side can cherry pic facts and come up with whatever they want in the end. Many of these "facts" depend on how the question is asked, who is asked, or what gets ignored in order to come up with the final answer.

A gun will always be a force equalizer for a small woman, and old person, or a handicapped person to defend themselves from a criminal. Or, for someone to protect themselves from from multuple attackers.

I have my guns because shooting is fun, and the weapons are there to defend me. I have been carrying a gun for 22 years now. I have been involved in 2 incidents where I used my brain to get out of the situation, and I did not have to use a gun thankfully. I would prefer not to go down that road. But, I do not appreciate people trying to take my right of self defense from me. And, I will disagree that guns are evil and should be banned for the rest of my life.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:17 PM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A buddy of mine from high school used to always post about what him and his 11 year old son were doing for "#SundayFunday." This was usually a small day trip, golfing, bowling, other sorts of activities like that. It was one of those things that made you smile.

Over the last few months, "Sunday Funday" has turned into "Sunday Gunday." His recent Facebook content is probably 2/3 firearm related. The dad works a day shift job and a second, part-time job in the evenings. He must get off around 11-12, and is posting about cleaning guns well into the early morning hours. He stopped by a 24 hour bakery last week and got a coffee, and had a handgun on the table in the bakery he put on Facebook. He had at least seven guns in one of the cleaning pictures, including an MP5. My guess is that he owns at least a dozen guns.

He now his son at the firing range at least every Sunday. There are pictures of the kid posing with guns, cleaning guns, etc. The gun content has basically crowded anything else.

I'm not anti-gun, but I find this a bit disturbing that all of their other weekend activities seem to be overridden by the dad's (seemingly fairly recent) gun obsession.

How do you handle the topic of guns with your kids?

If they were involved in other activities, would you be reporting about their "soccer obsession" or their "cake decorating obsession?"

Old 11-01-2018, 01:20 PM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
No guns in my house. My house was for kids. The two don't mix.

Lots of guns in my house. My house was for kids and adults. The three mix perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting