Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 11:14 PM

23 posts, read 24,931 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know this may sound terrible, but I need input on this. I hear people who've had children say, "I love kids", "I've always loved kids", and the like. I don't dislike children, but I certainly don't melt and gush whenever I see them. Are there any people who felt similarly prior to having children and did your feelings change after you had them? If I don't love children, should I avoid becoming a parent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 06:08 AM

2,729 posts, read 6,091,862 times
Has there ever been a child you like? Or an age? I didn't just love all children with abandon before having one. There were some behaviors and some kids that I didn't like at all. That actually intensified after having my son and seeing those behaviors and types of kids in action. You don't have to love them all, you just need the capacity to love your own. Really, other parents are the worst part of parenting, not the kids.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:26 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,747,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInOhio View Post
Ok, I know this may sound terrible, but I need input on this. I hear people who've had children say, "I love kids", "I've always loved kids", and the like. I don't dislike children, but I certainly don't melt and gush whenever I see them. Are there any people who felt similarly prior to having children and did your feelings change after you had them? If I don't love children, should I avoid becoming a parent?
Not melting or gushing doesn't make you a bad potential parent but if you don't like them at all you shouldn't become a parent.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:34 AM

38 posts, read 55,042 times
If you don't like kids then stay away from having them I have. I have seen several of my friend's stressed out, financially strapped or getting divorced over the extra responsibilities of handling kids because one of them were not 100% certain about having kids but had one anyways accidentally/willingly. If you ask them they will say they love their kids which I know they do but the extra stress & responsibilities is burning them out.

By choosing to not have kids, I found it hard to meet someone that shared that same sentiment but this way I would not be asking someone to give up wanting to have kids in order to be with me. (not like I am a great catch or anything lol). Overall we cannot be happier with our decision, currently just purchased a rental property after paying off our house mortgage. My wife finished her Phd about 2 months ago and was able to follow the career she wanted while I worked at whatever I felt like. Not having kids it allowed us financially (at times it was tight) to do what we wish. I didn't have a great paying job only decent but my friend's making double what I am are living check to check.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:38 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,072,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInOhio View Post
I did not like most kids when I was a kid. They were selfish and unruly. They seemed so immature and irresponsible.

Now that I see many adults are that way, I no longer hold it against kids in general. It's a people thing, not a kid thing.

I like my kids just fine. Met others that are just lovely.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:05 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,264,267 times
I'm not generally a kid-oriented person and never have been, but I adore my own children.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:25 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,579,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm not generally a kid-oriented person and never have been, but I adore my own children.
Ditto.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:31 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,936,831 times
I've always had a maternal streak in me, always did a lot of babysitting growing up, and even now, still love to get my hands on huggable squeezable cuddly babies. And I love all my kids and grandkids.

Doesn't mean every day was sunshine and roses though. But heck, they made for funny stories later. lol

Old 10-31-2018, 08:37 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,342,161 times
I'm not a a gusher - particularly around babies. Not my thing. I enjoyed my own kids especially as they got older and more interesting. Same with my grandson. 3 is a hoot.

Not gushing and not liking at all are different things.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:44 AM

3,009 posts, read 2,199,121 times
I was worried about the same thing before I had my first. Now I have 3 of my own and am totally that annoying lady gushing over all the babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting